B Hayes and C Lenihan open to National Government

alonso

Minister open to concept of National Government | BreakingNews.ie

"I have no problem with the concept of a national (Government)," said Minister Lenihan.

"So that would naturally mean the dissolution of this Government and the formation of a new Government. That could happen before the election or after the election."

“At the end of the day, the only way the Irish people can support that four-year package is by way of a General Election.

“I would see the potential of an election, and after that, possibly, a national government at that stage.

“I think it would be impossible to have a national government in advance of a general election.”
Read more: Hayes: Cross-party coalition 'makes sense' | BreakingNews.ie

Is it only a matter of time and can it happen without a General Election? What would the cabinet look like?

turdsl

I do not believe it will be a big issue for either of them,neither of them of them have cabinet ability at the moment and will not be at the table anyway

GDPR

I do not believe it will be a big issue for either of them,neither of them of them have cabinet ability at the moment and will not be at the table anyway
Sometimes, just sometimes, politicians think about more than themselves.
Open yourself up to the possibility.

kerdasi amaq

Yes, but Cowen has to resign as Taoiseach and the Tánaiste has to go too. Mary Harney must relocate to the opposition benches and stay there for the rest of her political career.

Furthermore, no FF'er can be Taoiseach.

jmcc

Regime Change In Progress? There's bound to be a bit of frustration at Worzel Gummidge after the FG President's Dinner thingy.

Regards...jmcc

hmmm

This is the only way we would be able to tackle the vested interests. Time now for a national government of the best talents we have.

borntorum

I don't see what's in it for anyone.

It's not going to happen this side of a GE, nor should it (though agreement about fiscal adjustments would be welcome). After a GE, why would FF limp along as a junior partner in a national government, rather than licking its wounds on the opposition benches and attacking Lab/FG?

Catalpa

This is about putting feelers out to Labour post the next GE

If they have the largest number of seats then they might be prepared to offer FF a minority share of Cabinet positions

- as an alternative of going with FG under an even more Right Wing Leader.

hmmm

After a GE, why would FF limp along as a junior partner in a national government, rather than licking its wounds on the opposition benches and attacking Lab/FG?
Because it's the patriotic thing to do. I agree, unlikely.

Pauli

This is the only way we would be able to tackle the vested interests. Time now for a national government of the best talents we have.
We would have to elect those talents first. Unless you mean " the best talents we have available in the Dail right now" which is a completely different thing.

Tomas Mor

So Brian Hayes wants to throw FF a lifeline, after they have destroyed this state, civil war style.

Expatriot

Why would there be a National Government after an election?

It would be in direct breech of the Constitution to do such a thing.

Is this really about FG and FF holding hands?

I really really don't get why we would suspend opposition after the next election. If FF are in opposition after the election they have a duty to oppose as best they can. Talk of trying to overcome the will of the people in an election is an extremely dangerous thing to even talk about.

What it basically says is that you can vote for whoever you like but we have already decided who will run the country and how, it is a directive from the EU. Very dodgy and of questionable legality.

Expatriot

"Vested interests" like the electorate that may not agree with you?

This is exactly the kind of thinking that precedes fascist take overs of democracy.

hmmm

Why would there be a National Government after an election?

It would be in direct breech of the Constitution to do such a thing.
It's nothing to do with the constitution. In legal terms it's merely a coalition with a dominant majority. I'm sure SF won't have anything to do with it.

The Germans had an effective national government a few years ago which did a good job at an important time. They are reaping the benefits now.

hmmm

"Vested interests" like the electorate that may not agree with you?
Whichever government is elected will have to lower the living standards of multiple groups in society. The opposition (who may be FF) will simply oppose and sweep back to power. We either have a government which targets only the weak (or unrepresented) in society or we come up with some way to give them political cover.

Default Now

I think its a great idea because:

1. Its the only thing that would bring people eventually on to the streets
2. Collapse the political system.
3. Speed up total reform in the political process and operations of the state.

jmcc

So Brian Hayes wants to throw FF a lifeline, after they have destroyed this state, civil war style.
Perhaps he realises that FG and FF aren't so different after all. They both have completely clueless gobsh!tes as leaders. It wouldn't suprise me if a new party was in the offing.

Regards...jmcc

Newsy

What lifeline???

hayes talked about a national gov. AFTER a general election.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I am open to a national Government at this stage as well. As are hundreds of thousands of Irish people.

But after an election.

Do you honestly think the Opposition.. any Opposition.. should stand back and let the shower of fupping gob************************es you support run the country with impunity ?

How in the name of Jesus stupid do ye think people are ?

Seriously... would FF do it ?

I can well remember back into the past, when FG and Labour Governments had to clean up the s**t left by FF administrations, and ye never lifted a finger to help them.

borntorum

What lifeline???

hayes talked about a national gov. AFTER a general election.
Tomas Mor is deep in the Fuhrerbunker with Enda. He sees treachery and deceit on all sides.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies