Babies for sale - first the church now the insurance companies

Reasunach

Maybe some will agree, maybe some won't, but I can see a very worrying trend going from the nuns looking after the products of "inconvenient" pregnancies, to the health insurance companies advertising cover for the 1 in 6 couples who are unlucky enough to find themseves in need of the treatments offered by the infertility clinics. While I am glad that these issues are now worthy of our airtime, I find it incredibly distasteful that the insurance companies are going down the route of the religious in basically saying "we'll look after it for you". VHI are even running ads for it. The location of the new NMH should be without the over-riding influence of what the religious agree as acceptable treatment, OR what the insurance czars are willing to cover. The targetting of the emotionally vulnerable in order to make a profit has always been the realm of bullies.

Last edited:

popular1

Maybe some will agree, maybe some won't, but I can see a very worrying trend going from the nuns looking after the products of "inconvenient" pregnancies, to the health insurance companies advertising cover for the 1 in 6 couples who are unlucky enough to find themseves in need of the treatments offered by the infertility clinics. While I am glad that these issues are now worthy of our airtime, I find it incredibly distasteful that the insurance companies are going down the route of the religious in basically saying "we'll look after it for you". VHI are even running ads for it. The location of the new NMH should be without the over-riding influence of what the religious agree as acceptable treatment, OR what the insurance czars are willing to cover. The targetting of the emotionally vulnerable in order to make a profit has always been the realm of bullies.
Its all about the power and money, whether its the religious, business or politicians they all have the same morals
when it comes to money. end of story

wexfordman

So, just to be clear, your issue is that insurance companies are providing cover for infertility treatment ? Your issue is that a health insurance company is providing insurance for a medical issue ?

Emily Davison

I don't see the connection.

Also it's not clear from your post, do you object to infertile couples having fertility treatment? Do you know anyone who has had infertility treatment.

Reasunach

I don't see the connection.

Also it's not clear from your post, do you object to infertile couples having fertility treatment? Do you know anyone who has had infertility treatment.
I have no issue with insurance companies finally covering fertility treatment. It is incredibly expensive and not always guaranteed to work. What I do have an issue with is insurance companies using the fact that couples have this medical difficulty as a means to sell their product. You don't see them advertising the fact that they cover substance abuse treatments for example, even though they do. In fact their advertising doesn't usually specify exactly what they cover. In the VHI ads, they have started to use examples such as heart attacks but they don't start going into specifics about how many people in Ireland suffer from heart disease. The ads promoting their cover of fertility treatment are aimed at vulnerable people. I DO know someone who had this treatment. Me. So I know exactly how difficult it is. I also know that it is elective ie you don't HAVE to have it so pushing this product is basically the same as the religious offering to "look after" the unwanted babies in the 50s and 60s. It's all about money.

silverharp

I have no issue with insurance companies finally covering fertility treatment. It is incredibly expensive and not always guaranteed to work. What I do have an issue with is insurance companies using the fact that couples have this medical difficulty as a means to sell their product. You don't see them advertising the fact that they cover substance abuse treatments for example, even though they do. In fact their advertising doesn't usually specify exactly what they cover. In the VHI ads, they have started to use examples such as heart attacks but they don't start going into specifics about how many people in Ireland suffer from heart disease. The ads promoting their cover of fertility treatment are aimed at vulnerable people. I DO know someone who had this treatment. Me. So I know exactly how difficult it is. I also know that it is elective ie you don't HAVE to have it so pushing this product is basically the same as the religious offering to "look after" the unwanted babies in the 50s and 60s. It's all about money.
I think your link between the two is tortuous. If there is anything to discuss it should be standalone

Reasunach

I think your link between the two is tortuous. If there is anything to discuss it should be standalone
Maybe you're right. But the nuns were the supplier of babies for the infertile in the past, now that there are no babies to adopt, the insurance companies are getting in on the act by offering insurance cover if you have to have IVF. Like I said to me, having been there, it's all about the money. And that is what I find distateful. What we should have, is IVF available in the public health system like they do in the UK.

Emily Davison

Maybe you're right. But the nuns were the supplier of babies for the infertile in the past, now that there are no babies to adopt, the insurance companies are getting in on the act by offering insurance cover if you have to have IVF. Like I said to me, having been there, it's all about the money. And that is what I find distateful. What we should have, is IVF available in the public health system like they do in the UK.
Well now that's a different matter and I do agree with you that it should be available publically. I think here a woman has six goes for free. I know a woman who tried it but didn't suceed. And it's a very difficult process. I also have a sister who did it successfully.

As regards insurance, I see no problem with the VHI or whoever advertising this insurance. It's just another product they offer. I'm still not getting any link to nuns though.

blokesbloke

This OP is entirely misleading and makes no sense. Saying health insurance advertising cover to provide IVF treatment for people who want to keep their babies is the same as the Church selling babies of people who'd already had them and wanted to keep them is demented. Very poor OP. Zoo!

Watcher2

I don't get the parallel you are trying to draw.

Apart from the unclear message in your OP, is it that the insurance companies are covering the cost of fertility treatments? If so, what's the problem? There are no babies for sale in that.

Watcher2

Oh Lord, you must have a very twisted mind.

There is no correlation, NONE.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies