• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Baby boom in Ireland

Radix

The bust can't be far away.

Crazy horse 6

A good bit of news, Ireland has the highest birth rate in the EU-27, with 74,000 births recorded last year. It seems only a quarter were born to mothers from outside Ireland, suggesting claims of a foreign baby boom are exaggerated.

Ireland has highest birth rate in European Union - RTÉ News

So 18500 mothers are coming here to have kids with all the welfare entitlements that come with that and you say thats a good thing?

Kev408

24% born to mothers from outside Ireland. Quite low indeed. Was hoping for more as a growing population is very important in the long-term. Still, excellent figures overall.

I suspect with all the cutbacks etc and less money to spend, couples are riding more often - that's my analysis of the birth rate.

Kev408

So 18500 mothers are coming here to have kids with all the welfare entitlements that come with that and you say thats a good thing?
I seriously doubt if 18500 women planned to come to Ireland just to give birth.

Crazy horse 6

I seriously doubt if 18500 women planned to come to Ireland just to give birth.

Then you are very very naive. Ireland is seen as a soft touch by women from Africa and the baltic states when it comes to welfare gained through child birth.

Howya

A good bit of news, Ireland has the highest birth rate in the EU-27, with 74,000 births recorded last year. It seems only a quarter were born to mothers from outside Ireland, suggesting claims of a foreign baby boom are exaggerated.

Given that foreign born mothers do not make up a quarter of women of child bearing age living in Ireland, then your conclusion is not correct.

Kev408

Then you are very very naive. Ireland is seen as a soft touch by women from Africa and the baltic states when it comes to welfare gained through child birth.
So you are going to stand by your point that all 18,500 mothers from outside Ireland only came here for welfare? I know of three women in my office who had children this year. One is from Georgia, one is from Nigeria and the other is also black but I'm not sure what country she's from. All are obviously employed. Other than children's allowance they receive nothing from the state.

I have no doubt that there are some of that 18,500 who are scrounges (I know one myself) but to suggest all 18,500 are is hyperbolic nonsense.

FrankSpeaks

How many of those foreign born are actually themselves children of Irish born parents that returned to Ireland?

mr. jings

A baby boom thread becoming a farr'dn babbies thread on p.ie? Get away...

True Republican

there isn't a baby boom in ireland amongst irish born mothers, if you take away the fact that nearly 1 in 4 births are from foreign born women, the average number of kids that irish women have is just under 1.6 kids, a country needs to have an average of 2.1 kids in order for future generations to replace existing generations.

mickterry

Very few i'd say. Why the hell would anyone want to come back to Ireland and raise a family?
Dead right, all these foreigners should be stopped at the airport or ferry port and given pregnancy tests. Positive means no entry. Even if they are citizens of this state. We have enough of that type here alraedy. Also in this research there was a substantial number of unmarried mothers. This too must be stopped. Only nice people should be allowed to have children. There should be a law:lol:

statsman

It'll never last; they'll all be forced to have abortions by Ivana Bacik before the year is out. Even the ones who've already had their babies.

statsman

Dead right, all these foreigners should be stopped at the airport or ferry port and given pregnancy tests. Positive means no entry. Even if they are citizens of this state. We have enough of that type here alraedy. Also in this research there was a substantial number of unmarried mothers. This too must be stopped. Only nice people should be allowed to have children. There should be a law:lol:
We'd need to let in a few to supply the needs of all those nice people who want to adopt. And to hire au pairs.

mr. jings

We'd need to let in a few to supply the needs of all those nice people who want to adopt. And to hire au pairs.
Can't wait for the married gay couples with little brown babies threads. Life imitating Muunkeyman's art.

firefly123

Very few i'd say. Why the hell would anyone want to come back to Ireland and raise a family?
You might Not be able to compute this but I'll try anyway. Ireland is one of safest cleanest friendliest places in the world. We have good social structures and a decent education system. I realise we are being force fed doom every day and we have plenty of problems but we are a far nicer place than most of the world. Anyway back to the navel gazing...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies