Baby 'Gift' Boxes to be Sent to all Scottish Moms of New Borns.

General Urko

From today The Scotish Government will send Baby Boxes, a gift set worth £160, to all new mothers in the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/14/baby-boxes-sent-new-mothers-scotland-from-this-week

Essentially, along with providing some essentials for the new born, it is intended to send out a message to all that children regardless of class are entitled to an equal start in life.

Perhaps, the most significant item in the box along with information leaflets on how to deal with the new bundle of joy, is the box itself, which is designed to form a crib, which could be very important in helping to prevent cot deaths.

To me we all still live in a world, where the most significant determinant of how far you get in life nfor most, is the socio economic environment into which, you are born. And of course ironically, of all the factors, which you can possibly have control over, that is the one, which is definitely not the case!

I don't know how classist a society, Scotland is, I suspect that the average child probably has a better chance of realising his/her dreams than the equivalent child here, but it is still nice that a nod is given by this latest scheme, towards given all children an equal start, but a nod is all it happens to be at the moment.

GDPR

I don't know how classist a society, Scotland is, I suspect that the average child probably has a better chance of realising his/her dreams than the equivalent child here, but it is still nice that a nod is given by this latest scheme, towards given all children an equal start, but a nod is all it happens to be at the moment.
:rolleyes:

If you listened to Southern Irish people you would think Southern Ireland is the biggest kip in Europe.

Scotland actually probably outside of the Ukraine the biggest kip in Europe.

General Urko

:rolleyes:

If you listened to Southern Irish people you would think Southern Ireland is the biggest kip in Europe.

Scotland actually probably outside of the Ukraine the biggest kip in Europe.
I doubt that, and also that the Ukraine is that bad.
Mind you the life expectancy for males in the Eastend of Glasgow, who often have surnames such as Kelly, O'Donnell, Gallagher and Callaghan is about 54, mind you if they survive to about 35, their life expectancy is much higher! Parts of Liverpool and Nordieland wouldn't be far off and in our great little country, I suspect that the working class male's life expectancy would be around 60, certainly on the anecdotal evidence in my area!

From today The Scotish Government will send Baby Boxes, a gift set worth £160, to all new mothers in the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/14/baby-boxes-sent-new-mothers-scotland-from-this-week

Essentially, along with providing some essentials for the new born, it is intended to send out a message to all that children regardless of class are entitled to an equal start in life.

Perhaps, the most significant item in the box along with information leaflets on how to deal with the new bundle of joy, is the box itself, which is designed to form a crib, which could be very important in helping to prevent cot deaths.

To me we all still live in a world, where the most significant determinant of how far you get in life nfor most, is the socio economic environment into which, you are born. And of course ironically, of all the factors, which you can possibly have control over, that is the one, which is definitely not the case!

The idea started in Finland and is spreading.

GDPR

I doubt that, and also that the Ukraine is that bad.
Mind you the life expectancy for males in the Eastend of Glasgow, who often have surnames such as Kelly, O'Donnell, Gallagher and Callaghan is about 54, mind you if they survive to about 35, their life expectancy is much higher! Parts of Liverpool and Nordieland wouldn't be far off and in our great little country, I suspect that the working class male's life expectancy would be around 60, certainly on the anecdotal evidence in my area!
Honestly we used to go on holiday to our crazy cousins in Scotland who made us look like rational civilized people every year and they would come to us as well which was a nuisance because we had to spend most of the time insuring that they didn't get themselves lifted by the peelers. Scotland makes Northern Ireland look like a cheery place. Watch this, it captures Scotland perfectly;

[video=youtube;v_guDN7IZ0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ0U[/video]

Congalltee

It will never happen here a) government is ideologically opposed to state intervention unless [redacted] is involved or it increases housing costs b) England hasn't done it and c) we only protect children who are born.

A male born into a Social welfare class family has a life expectancy which is 15 years lower than a family who get up early in the morning. The blame is the child's (see concept of original sin).

General Urko

It will never happen here a) government is ideologically opposed to state intervention unless [redacted] is involved or it increases housing costs b) England hasn't done it and c) we only protect children who are born.

A male born into a Social welfare class family has a life expectancy which is 15 years lower than a family who get up early in the morning. The blame is the child's (see concept of original sin).
Ironically, through exceptional needs SW payments a child born into a family dependent on SW will get more initial state support here than those born into a family where both parents 'get up early' in the morning! Also paradoxically, familes which live off SW permanently breed sprogz for more child benefit money and more supplemental dole money - Mickey money, I know I see it all around me where I live!

hollandia

Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes - BBC News

I thought I'd seen this somewhere before. They've been doing this in Finland for 75 years.

Mick Mac

ETA: Lots of companies are happy to get their products into your kids' mouths as soon as possible.
The Finns used send a box of stuff. The box was the first crib for the baba.

Mick Mac

TheField

We put ours in cardboard boxes too. The sort you pick up in the supermarket.

I'd be suspicious of the corporates getting in on 'baby boxes' - great opportunity for product promotion. One things for sure in this world and that is that families can be readily milked as consumers for many years.

statsman

Our kids were born in England in the 90s and we got gift boxes for both of them then.

Bea C

I read an incredible one in the current Private Eye, actually.
I can't think of the agency name, the site, or the brand of wine (you'd definitely know the latter, I just can't think of any of them off the top of my head).
Anyway, the agency offers 'quirky' advertising and promotion methods, and the wine brand had chosen the ability to personalise the bottle's label with whatever message. The ads on this site were using the example of headlines and such.
Presumably they were to be sticking to stories about Premiership footballers wedding days and such light-hearted matters, but one ad had a bottle featuring a rather more striking message, and incredibly it ran for a few days before somebody registered it:
BABY CHARLIE GARD DIES.

Nemesiscorporation

This si what they do in Finland as well. It is a great idea and does help quite a few.

users

Our kids were born in England in the 90s and we got gift boxes for both of them then.
Were either of them ever in a toilet tissue ad?

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Was in Edinburgh three times in the last year. Beautiful city - very civilised and high sense of wellbeing. Venture out into outlying towns and you'll see a very different Scotland. My mate was staying in Burntisland and it was a desolate run down benefits Britain hole.
I didn't see the poor classes in Edinburgh the way you would in Dublin / cork or Belfast etc. They seemed to somehow manage to shunt problem classes out of their lovely city. So op I doubt that Scotland is a model of social equality and fairness. Hospitals in Ireland have been handing out hampers to newborns filled with brands of nappies etc - obviously with the hope that you get used to putting on a pampers nappy and think it's the Best Buy for junior

rainmaker

Administrator
Honestly we used to go on holiday to our crazy cousins in Scotland who made us look like rational civilized people
I think this is probably more informative of you & your family background than Scottish society, to be honest.

I've known a fair few Scots and they are perfectly normal everyday Joes like everyone else.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies