Baby Names

Drogheda445

Went to a very interesting exhibition organised by the CSO in St. Peter's Church in Cork city a few months back. Compared Irish demographics in 1911 to 2011 and all the social, health, religious trends that have occurred over the century.

The list of most common first names was very interesting, very few traditional Gaelic names were given to children in 1911, whereas if anything they are now more popular than ever. Some of the early 20th century names seem very dated now; Winifred, Sybil, Aloysius etc, whereas many names which were traditionally considered nicknames are now very common proper names (Jack for instance, almost never a legal name until very recently).

Some other countries are very rigid about naming conventions, especially in Europe. It's not seen so much as a right but more a responsibility, which is fair enough I suppose given the names some people come up with. :D

Bill

Bonecrusher

Socratus O' Pericles

There seems to be a trend in the names being given to boys...(Jack, James, Daniel, Sean and Conor are ever-popular.

There's a little less uniformity to girls' names.

What is a good name? A solid name? An unusual name? Is an unusual name a burden?

Statbank Database - Irish Babies Names Listing Generated at 11:50 on 25JUL16

Any suggestions for the baby that will soon be in my world?

Anybody who starts banging on about how all boys will be called Muhammad, can take a hike...

Thanks!
Conchita for a girl, Spalding for a boy.

Lempo

Can we have a row about jender on this thread?
That's a stupid name, and in any case these newfancy lower-cap starting names are silly speciality-endeavouring.

"I'm jender, with a small j."
"Oh. Oh,ok! I'm Micky, with..."

tigerben

Alway think about the name , what it could be shortened to or rhymes with . Irish people should stay away from "th" names such as Ethan! Kayden , Hayden and Jayden are out . Make sure you don't go for the popular in name . Abigail was in when my niece was born and there is five in her class. If you go for the in name your child will go through school as Mary B , Mary K , Mary L ... lastly don't go adding in letters that aren't needed as in jadye , Maddisynn ,Leeah ect .

I suggested Connor as a name for our son. Wife paled. Too close to the word "connard", it seems.

The word "connard" is the. C-word in French.

Socratus O' Pericles

There seems to be a trend in the names being given to boys...(Jack, James, Daniel, Sean and Conor are ever-popular.

There's a little less uniformity to girls' names.

What is a good name? A solid name? An unusual name? Is an unusual name a burden?

Statbank Database - Irish Babies Names Listing Generated at 11:50 on 25JUL16

Any suggestions for the baby that will soon be in my world?

Anybody who starts banging on about how all boys will be called Muhammad, can take a hike...

Thanks!

How many is that SiL?

ruserious

If I were to have a baby girl in the morning, I'd call her Éabha.

Accidental sock

"Your Majesty"

Socratus O' Pericles

That's a stupid name, and in any case these newfancy lower-cap starting names are silly speciality-endeavouring.

"I'm jender, with a small j."
"Oh. Oh,ok! I'm Micky, with..."
John Thomas but the j and t are small?

A Voice

Set up a focus group, get spads to brief me on the results, and call it Enda. Works for both jenders.

Socratus O' Pericles

This is as good a place as any to tell ye, Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon (61 Minute Version) is one mudderfukken amazing piece.

[video=youtube;ggLTPyRXUKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTPyRXUKc[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom