Baby Names

sadcitizen

There's research demonstrating that girls whose names end in a stressed vowel are perceived as being more facially attractive than girls whose names have a stressed vowel towards the front. So say, a Laura might be perceived as more attractive than if she were named Lizzy. Vice versa for guys.

What's in a Name? The effect of sound symbolism on perception of facial attractiveness [eScholarship]

https://books.google.ie/books?id=2h...age&q="jena pincott" names attractive&f=false

I'm seconding the vote for Muhammed though

brughahaha

Impossible to advise someone because our perceptions on names -in my experience - naming 2, is based on people you know of that name E.g. I liked Oliver but my wife remembered someone who was in her opinion an absolute twonk , calledOliver so that was that one out ....and on and on

Anyway your wife will, with post delivery room emotional blackmail , ultimately decide ;)

Drogheda445

I suggested Connor as a name for our son. Wife paled. Too close to the word "connard", it seems.

The word "connard" is the. C-word in French.
The French can be very awkward with names. People with Russian names or from other countries with foreign alphabets have their names transcribed differently into English, French, hence Stalin was "Staline" in French, Khrushchev was "Khrouchtchev" etc. Putin is spelt "Putine" apparently because the literal translation would sound too much like "putain" so that would never do.

The French verb "se tromper" means to make a mistake or to be deceived, e.g. Je me suis trompé. Some French friends of mine were saying after the recent American election people began to spell it with a u so they could say "Les Américains, ils se sont trumpés". :D

Gibby

There seems to be a trend in the names being given to boys...(Jack, James, Daniel, Sean and Conor are ever-popular.

There's a little less uniformity to girls' names.

What is a good name? A solid name? An unusual name? Is an unusual name a burden?

Statbank Database - Irish Babies Names Listing Generated at 11:50 on 25JUL16

Any suggestions for the baby that will soon be in my world?

Anybody who starts banging on about how all boys will be called Muhammad, can take a hike...

Thanks!

Awww, that takes the fun out of it!

Anyway, a nice name is Victor - the child will be a winner right from the start!

And the girl's can shorten it to Vickky/Tori if she doesn't like Victoria as she grows up!

Accidental sock

How about "Householder" or "Occupant"....you'll be giving your child the gift of personalised mail for life.

Bill

Thaddeus

Accidental sock

I'm really no good at these high-pressure questions...

I have a cat called 'Cat'.

T

Toowoomba

When our first was born in 1974, my wife's roommate name her 7 pounder Turlough. :shock:

Turlough Hill power station in Wicklow had just been commissioned., maybe the family name was Hill. :D

Watcher2

There seems to be a trend in the names being given to boys...(Jack, James, Daniel, Sean and Conor are ever-popular.

There's a little less uniformity to girls' names.

What is a good name? A solid name? An unusual name? Is an unusual name a burden?

Statbank Database - Irish Babies Names Listing Generated at 11:50 on 25JUL16

Any suggestions for the baby that will soon be in my world?

Anybody who starts banging on about how all boys will be called Muhammad, can take a hike...

Thanks!
Ultimately its your choice but what I would suggest is any name that comes into consideration by you and your wife, think of it in terms of a child and make try to deflect any potential p1ss takes from other kids. So perhaps "unusual" might not be the way to go.

Congrats by the way. I never said it the other day when you announced the new born about to enter your life. I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well as well as the birth and everything thereafter.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom