Baby Names

DaveM

There seems to be a trend in the names being given to boys...(Jack, James, Daniel, Sean and Conor are ever-popular.

There's a little less uniformity to girls' names.

What is a good name? A solid name? An unusual name? Is an unusual name a burden?

Statbank Database - Irish Babies Names Listing Generated at 11:50 on 25JUL16

Any suggestions for the baby that will soon be in my world?

Anybody who starts banging on about how all boys will be called Muhammad, can take a hike...

Thanks!
Boy - Scipio.

Girl - Livia.

You can thank me later...

Lempo

The French can be very awkward with names. People with Russian names or from other countries with foreign alphabets have their names transcribed differently into English, French, hence Stalin was "Staline" in French, Khrushchev was "Khrouchtchev" etc. Putin is spelt "Putine" apparently because the literal translation would sound too much like "putain" so that would never do.

The French verb "se tromper" means to make a mistake or to be deceived, e.g. Je me suis trompé. Some French friends of mine were saying after the recent American election people began to spell it with a u so they could say "Les Américains, ils se sont trumpés". :D
Just wait till he gets to the lame canard phase. Well, till, if, whatever.

Accidental sock

First name "Chuck"

Middle name "Norris"

Deadlock

There seems to be a trend in the names being given to boys...(Jack, James, Daniel, Sean and Conor are ever-popular.

What is a good name? A solid name? An unusual name? Is an unusual name a burden?

Anybody who starts banging on about how all boys will be called Muhammad, can take a hike...

Thanks!
Congrats to you and Mrs SIL!

I have a cousin with an unusual name - not a difficult one - and she was mithered as a child (80s Ireland). Not always maliciously, just when people got her name wrong - it stuck.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Ultimately its your choice but what I would suggest is any name that comes into consideration by you and your wife, think of it in terms of a child and make try to deflect any potential p1ss takes from other kids. So perhaps "unusual" might not be the way to go.

Congrats by the way. I never said it the other day when you announced the new born about to enter your life. I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well as well as the birth and everything thereafter.

Cheers!

Watcher2

Since all this gender neutral BS is doing the rounds, how about

Window

as a first name? Its gender neutral and goes well with your surname (albeit cryptic :)).

T

Toowoomba

Just wait till he gets to the lame canard phase. Well, till, if, whatever.
These are the most popular boys' names in Finland for 2015

1 Leo
2 Elias
3 Onni
4 Eino
5 Oliver

What happened to Carl, Gustaf, Emil ? :shock2:

GDPR

Snowflake

Actually always like Cathal for a boy and Cathriona for a girl.

Socratus O' Pericles

Window

as a first name? Its gender neutral and goes well with your surname (albeit cryptic :)).
WindowIsLeadership?

derryman

Thanks!
Donald J.

D

Deleted member 17573

Window

That would be fine but what if there are a few more Windows in her class when she goes to school - she'd be called Window Sil.

Watcher2

That would be fine but what if there are a few more Windowns in her class when she goes to school - she'd be called Window Sil.
Never thought of that.:p

EDIT: Sorry, I'll drop out now as I'm getting too giddy.

SiL, all the best mate.

DaveM

"Oooh now she's livid... oooh now she's livia..." Yeah her husband ain't gonna.
Then she can just feed him poisoned figs and supplant him with her son from a previous marriage... ;)

ShoutingIsLeadership

Congrats to you and Mrs SIL!

I have a cousin with an unusual name - not a difficult one - and she was mithered as a child (80s Ireland). Not always maliciously, just when people got her name wrong - it stuck.

Thank you.

Does she like it?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom