• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Back To School Costs

Watcher2

I haven't seen a post on this yet so please merge if there is.

Looking at the Irish League of Credit Unions report on such costs, a few things struck me:

School lunches at €129
After school care €132
Extracurricular activity (whatever they are and how necessary?) €189
And gym gear €57

That's a total of over €500 or more than half the total cost less than €1000 which they claim for primary school costs.

Firstly, why are lunches included? Wouldn't the kids need to be fed lunch even without "pesky" schools?
Secondly, why is after school care included? If both parents are working, won't they need to pay for care? In fact, while in school, child care costs are reduced, no?
Regarding extracurricular activity, from the limited review of the below link, there is no enlightenment as to what these activities are and whether they are just fluff.

As for gym gear, unless your kids engage in special activities, why is this onerous or even included? My kids wear tracksuit bottoms and t shirts and runners even without pe in school. They are far better wearing and better value for money than envy other type of outer wear.

So, my question, is there an agenda behind these figures other than trying to get people away from loan sharks? If that is it, surely there is a better way to combat loan sharks than misleading, frightening information?

2016 - Credit Union.ie - The Irish League of Credit Unions

HarshBuzz

I get the feeling the people producing these reports simply change the date each year and lash them out without any critical analysis.

We spent €200 to get all three kids books for next year (3* primary). And that was it. Maybe a new schoolbag and lunchbox or two. Call it €100 per kid

GrainneDee

Looking at the Irish League of Credit Unions report on such costs, a few things struck me:

School lunches at €129
After school care €132
And gym gear €57

That's a total of over €500 or more than half the total cost less than €1000 which they claim for primary school costs.

Firstly, why are lunches included? Wouldn't the kids need to be fed lunch even without "pesky" schools?
Secondly, why is after school care included? If both parents are working, won't they need to pay for care? In fact, while in school, child care costs are reduced, no?
Regarding extracurricular activity, from the limited review of the below link, there is no enlightenment as to what these activities are and whether they are just fluff.

As for gym gear, unless your kids engage in special activities, why is this onerous or even included? My kids wear tracksuit bottoms and t shirts and runners even without pe in school. They are far better wearing and better value for money than envy other type of outer wear.

So, my question, is there an agenda behind these figures other than trying to get people away from loan sharks? If that is it, surely there is a better way to combat loan sharks than misleading, frightening information?

I agree with you regarding lunches and child care. Those are costs that would be paid anyway, and childcare is even less if they children are in school.

However, when my daughter was in secondary school, the uniform list came with specific branded track suit bottoms, and a polo shirt with the school crest. I bought the track suit bottoms in Dunnes, but felt pressurised into paying three times the normal price for a polo shirt with the school crest. Coming from a primary school with no uniform, I was shocked by this abuse of parents' goodwill and money - and shocked that parents just accepted it. After first year, I copped on and bought a generic polo shirt too, and nothing was ever said.

As for extra curricular activity, that's fair enough. There are after school sports, drama etc. which it's good for kids to be involved in, and the coaches have to be paid. And of course things that happen during school time, such as swimming, have to be paid for separately - this should not be at the expense of the parents.

Fractional Reserve

I have one left in secondary school and it won't cost next nor near the figures I seen in the papers even when the four where going it wasn't that.

School lunches at €129
After school care €132
And gym gear €57

Extra

You'd be lucky to see change from 1000 euro. It's a simple cartel.

tigerben

With Three kids , one primary , 2 secondary . No travel expense as they walk to and fro.

Youngest child. Some books rented through school €5 and all others plus stationary was €96 . She needed a new school tracksuit which was €42 , she needs a new skirt which will cost €6 in heatons .I do buy a good shoes which does save money long term as they last the year normal -€45 . New school bag was €25 and photocopying is normally €30.

Some just under €250 for her , as she doesn't need a whole new uniform or new school coat.

Son is going in to TY . The school will look for around €450 for that , but it's a TY only expense. Books €192. Shoes €75 . His uniform his still fine from last year as is his school bag and jacket . Normally €100 is looked for by the school as a contribution . We'll get notified soon of this.

€817 but it is TY year.

Older girl.
No book list come yet , but when she goes back there is always a need for a few, she is going in to leaving cert .
Her uniform , shoes , jacket , bag are all okay for the last year.
Will have to pay for exam papers , pre and the actually exam which will probably be €350 for them.
School is looking for € 100 contribution .

Say as I've not total cost €500 and that's not all upfront .

I'm always wondering in surveys like they produce every year , do they factor in new uniform , school tracksuit , jacket , bag ect. Most children do not have a full uniform brought yearly . Any one with a medical card doesn't pay exam fees . The back to school allowance is generous enough , its the families that pay for everything are the ones that don't get a break.

HarshBuzz

I have one left in secondary school and it won't cost next nor near the figures I seen in the papers even when the four where going it wasn't that.
It's a silly season staple - the 'back to school costs' story.

Just like Easter always provides the 'chaos feared as teachers union threatens strike' stories.

Being an education correspondent must be the handiest job out there. Change the date and file last year's copy, then retreat to pub. :D

Uganda

Free education is not free. The people love being screwed and swallowing waffle.
School uniforms €145. Just seen an ad for lidl - school uniforms €6 each. Do the kids run round naked during the summer
.?

Uganda

School lunches at €129
After school care €132
And gym gear €57

But without this guff the poverty industry would have nothing to do.

Gin Soaked

So there is a cost for back to school? But you know what? Kids are expensive. This is hardly news.

Aside from state schools occasionally being a bit flippant in having uniforms that cost too much, and the (ahem) monopoly to Folens, there is an element of what do you expect?

You buy toys, and other things, so why is the really important part of educating your kids a whinge each year?

johnnypockets

So there is a cost for back to school? But you know what? Kids are expensive. This is hardly news.

Aside from state schools occasionally being a bit flippant in having uniforms that cost too much, and the (ahem) monopoly to Folens, there is an element of what do you expect?

You buy toys, and other things, so why is the really important part of educating your kids a whinge each year?
Slow news day.

GrainneDee

The problem is NEEDLESS expense. Such as uniforms.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies