Bad Garage Forecourt Services

Abacus

Why are there so many faulty air supply units on Garage Forecourts ?
Today I tried five (yes 5) forecourts before I got one that was functional. There seems to be a range of faults, e.g. low or no air supply, faulty connection, leaking hose, faulty readouts (when you get four different readings on tyres that are pumped weekly, it's either you or the machine!! ) and dials that are unreadable.
And the garage owners, don't seem to give a hoot. "Yea....we know about that....meant to get it fixed....the man never came.....it's the kids and their bikes/footballs .....it's the damned taxi guys or the truckers who run over the hoseline.....but the best one was today when I observed politely to the petrol counter attendant...: "it'll definitely be fixed by Monday....and when I told him it was out last Saturday too this reply....:well we didn't notify the man until Friday....Grrrrhhhhhhh. Is there such a thing as Forecourt R-A-G-E cos if there ain't then I'm gonna start it ! I may need counseling soon.

LineInTheSand

From my experience of managing a service station, although it was a long time ago, the air pump needed to be repaired at least once a fortnight for some reason or other. Over the year that really adds up in a business that really is very low margin, so not surprised to see that it's being neglected.

seabhcan

From my experience of managing a service station, although it was a long time ago, the air pump needed to be repaired at least once a fortnight for some reason or other. Over the year that really adds up in a business that really is very low margin, so not surprised to see that it's being neglected.
Sounds like there is an opening there for a company to produce a better air pump.

Marooned

Today I tried five (yes 5) forecourts before I got one that was functional. There seems to be a range of faults, e.g. low or no air supply, faulty connection, leaking hose, faulty readouts (when you get four different readings on tyres that are pumped weekly, it's either you or the machine!! ) and dials that are unreadable.
And the garage owners, don't seem to give a hoot. "Yea....we know about that....meant to get it fixed....the man never came.....it's the kids and their bikes/footballs .....it's the damned taxi guys or the truckers who run over the hoseline.....but the best one was today when I observed politely to the petrol counter attendant...: "it'll definitely be fixed by Monday....and when I told him it was out last Saturday too this reply....:well we didn't notify the man until Friday....Grrrrhhhhhhh. Is there such a thing as Forecourt R-A-G-E cos if there ain't then I'm gonna start it ! I may need counseling soon.
Someone's having a bad hair day

Franzoni

They don't earn anything from those pumps, so why would they pay to get them repaired?
Depends what garage you go to... Texaco down the end of the road charge 20 cent for air....i shop elsewhere now as i put at least 80 euro a week into the car so i'm not paying 20 cent for air....

Abacus

Depends what garage you go to... Texaco down the end of the road charge 20 cent for air....i shop elsewhere now as i put at least 80 euro a week into the car so i'm not paying 20 cent for air....
Well I'd gladly pay a few cent to use functional and properly maintained equipment.
The system at the moment is just plain crazy and must mean that motorists and others go without checking their tyres out of the sheer frustration of driving around and finding bugger all but busted air pumps. If I find a company who provide well maintained equipment then I will give them immediate and ongoing support.

Luigi Vampa

How could such a thing happen in the superb Irish private sector ?

They don't earn anything from those pumps, so why would they pay to get them repaired?
Because a proportion of your regular customers will then start getting into the habit of going to another filling station instead. Not very smart. It's that extra bit of attention to detail and customer service, that costs very little, but keeps your customer coming back.

atlantic

Buy one of the yokes you can plug in the ciggy lighter .
Well I'd gladly pay a few cent to use functional and properly maintained equipment.
The system at the moment is just plain crazy and must mean that motorists and others go without checking their tyres out of the sheer frustration of driving around and finding bugger all but busted air pumps. If I find a company who provide well maintained equipment then I will give them immediate and ongoing support.

Abacus

I wonder just bad is it around the country ? This feeds into the whole business of roadworthiness of cars, does it not ? Under inflated tyres must be dangerous when driving at the higher speeds.

gatsbygirl20

I wonder just bad is it around the country ? This feeds into the whole business of roadworthiness of cars, does it not ? Under inflated tyres must be dangerous when driving at the higher speeds.
It is I think part of the problem with garages and car maintenance generally. We need a new model. Garages used to be serious places where petrol was dispensed, tyres checked for free, bits and pieces done to the cars of another era which were often faulty and needed help while completing their journey.

Then people got new, reliable cars. The "garages" started selling flowers and coffee-and-croissants from forecourts manned by teenagers who knew nothing about the workings of cars. Customers filled petrol themselves. If you had a flat tyre or needed air in a tyre, the answer was a shrug "The machine is over there. Dunno if it's working"

The problem feeds into regular garages too, as mechanics are hard to book time with, are unable to give firm prices or collection time for the car, offer poor service generally. Some work is done free, but you have to wait around. Prices are not clearly displayed. The whole system s caught between two eras

(1) First come first served, Stop joshing with your mates or only serving the guys.

(2) Display price for everything. Charge for it. Have someone there to dispense it promptly.

(3) Have somebody processing the customers as they come in. Standing for 20 mins in a freezing garage waiting for the guy working under a car to notice you, is no fun.

(4) As far as possible stick to times and prices. People need their cars back promptly

(5) For those who have no other driver or car, offer as an extra add-on a collection and delivery of the car to customer's home.

Abacus

It is I think part of the problem with garages and car maintenance generally. We need a new model. Garages used to be serious places where petrol was dispensed, tyres checked for free, bits and pieces done to the cars of another era which were often faulty and needed help while completing their journey.

Then people got new, reliable cars. The "garages" started selling flowers and coffee-and-croissants from forecourts manned by teenagers who knew nothing about the workings of cars. Customers filled petrol themselves. If you had a flat tyre or needed air in a tyre, the answer was a shrug "The machine is over there. Dunno if it's working"

The problem feeds into regular garages too, as mechanics are hard to book time with, are unable to give firm prices or collection time for the car, offer poor service generally. Some work is done free, but you have to wait around. Prices are not clearly displayed. The whole system s caught between two eras

(1) First come first served, Stop joshing with your mates or only serving the guys.

(2) Display price for everything. Charge for it. Have someone there to dispense it promptly.

(3) Have somebody processing the customers as they come in. Standing for 20 mins in a freezing garage waiting for the guy working under a car to notice you, is no fun.

(4) As far as possible stick to times and prices. People need their cars back promptly

(5) For those who have no other driver or car, offer as an extra add-on a collection and delivery of the car to customer's home.
Lots of merit in these suggestions. The ladies, in particular, being somewhat less carminded than the guys must be very discommoded by the lack of efficiency on garage forecourts. Now that there are so many female drivers, any garage on a busy highway who can devise a subtle advertising message for the attention of lady drivers would be bound to reap dividends......yes/no ?

Abacus

I raised this post query last year as the result of some very bad experiences in looking for working airhoses on garage forecourts.
I think that the situation is just dire in regard to finding working airhoses at the moment and this must mean that drivers are not attending to tyre pressures
in the recommended manner. True or what ? And what's to be done about it ?
Does any organisation have an interest in highlighting this situation...? the Automobile Assocn ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

why so few irish people work in our petrol stations ? is it part of our super-economic model for wealth creation to replace irish people with better & more efficient foreigners ?

commonman

i go to a village in north meath there is no problem day or night they will even check the air presssure and 6 euro to fix a puncture .

Abacus

I see now the latest trend is to charge 20cent for air and water services at fuel stations.
Lots of people just will not pay anything and so the risk of more defective vehicles being driven around our roads increases.
But even this charge has not improved the efficiency of the service outlets. Many I've seen in recent days are 'Out of Order'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies