Bad Science: Loons in the News

statsman

I used to be a big fan of Ben Goldacre's Bad Science column and still read his blog here: Bad Science

Today, it struck me just how much very bad science makes it into the newspapers when I read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/09/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-coffee-enema-colonic-irrigation

Goop.com is not selling a coffee machine, it is selling a coffee enema-making machine. That, my friends, is a messed-up way to make money. I know the people at Goop will either ignore the inquiries from reporters or release a statement saying the article is “a conversation” not a promotion and that they included the advice of a board-certified doctor, Dr Alejandro Junger, but any time you lend someone else your platform their ideas are now your ideas.
I mean, who listens to these people, and hands over good money to them? Are we, as a species, really that stupid?
Are there other examples out there that I'm not aware of?

Hillmanhunter1

I used to be a big fan of Ben Goldacre's Bad Science column and still read his blog here: Bad Science

Today, it struck me just how much very bad science makes it into the newspapers when I read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/09/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-coffee-enema-colonic-irrigation

I mean, who listens to these people, and hands over good money to them? Are we, as a species, really that stupid?
Have you read the thread about Bitcoin?

silverharp

Elon Musk's HyperLoop , solar roadways come to mind

wombat

Elon Musk's HyperLoop , solar roadways come to mind
In the past, Howard Hughes built a ship to mine for manganese nodules on the floor of the Pacific whereas he had a CIA contract to recover a sunken Soviet submarine. The USAF ran a ufo sighting program so they could test their stealth aircraft without attracting attention. My guess is that Musk has a contract for something.

hollandia

http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/261295-end-irish-wind-energy-racket.html

Nordie Northsider

The British 'middle-brow' (God help us!) tabloids, such as the Daily Express and the Daily Mail often lead with groundless health-related 'science' stories such as 'Cayenne Pepper Miracle Cure for Cancer', 'Play Cards to Beat Alzheimer's' (Ok, I made those up). Along with their other fixations (Foreigner Apocalypse, European Straight Banana Directives and house prices), it obviously plays well with an ageing, anxious readership. Perhaps those publications are too brazen to be shamed but it seems to me that there ought to be some 'Bad Science' website to call out this nonsense. Maybe an annual award, like the Bad Sex in literature one?

silverharp

Why do you consider these bad science?
Not feasible engineering, underestimating the forces or physical limitations would be the complaint. The youtube channel Thunder00t has some interesting videos on those particular ones.

wombat

The IT have a general science and an IT column but the average reporter is not only technically illiterate but their illiteracy translates into a general hostility toward science. Maybe its because opinions in science are worthless, they have to be backed by provable facts.

Destiny's Soldier

Coffee Enema was a (medical) protocol described in the Merck Manual until the 1980's. It was then discontinued for various reasons.
I am neither endorsing or not endorsing such.

Rubbishing the protocol is easy because it involves shoving a tube up your hole. (Could even make you gay...)

Erudite Caveman

The British 'middle-brow' (God help us!) tabloids, such as the Daily Express and the Daily Mail often lead with groundless health-related 'science' stories such as 'Cayenne Pepper Miracle Cure for Cancer', 'Play Cards to Beat Alzheimer's' (Ok, I made those up). Along with their other fixations (Foreigner Apocalypse, European Straight Banana Directives and house prices), it obviously plays well with an ageing, anxious readership. Perhaps those publications are too brazen to be shamed but it seems to me that there ought to be some 'Bad Science' website to call out this nonsense. Maybe an annual award, like the Bad Sex in literature one?
mono-brow, surely.

To be honest, I think the DM readership don't get spooked by the nonsense and think they will get cancer from skiing. They lap it up and secretly hope that Michael Barnier, Juncker and all the other Frogs and Nazi's get whats's coming to them.

Cruimh

Homoeopathy.... Medical scientology.

Mind you - is it any dafter than most of the religious bunkum that we were force-fed as youngsters?

Catalpast

In the past, Howard Hughes built a ship to mine for manganese nodules on the floor of the Pacific whereas he had a CIA contract to recover a sunken Soviet submarine. The USAF ran a ufo sighting program so they could test their stealth aircraft without attracting attention. My guess is that Musk has a contract for something.
Metro North?

statsman

Homoeopathy.... Medical scientology.

Mind you - is it any dafter than most of the religious bunkum that we were force-fed as youngsters?
Yes, the daftest of the daft. And it derives from the same place as that bunkum, really.

CookieMonster

I wounder would decaf work just as well?

I don't know about spending a few hundred dollars for a machine to do it, you could pick up a cafetiere and a funnel in Walmart for a few dollars.

statsman

I wounder would decaf work just as well?

I don't know about spending a few hundred dollars for a machine to do it, you could pick up a cafetiere and a funnel in Walmart for a few dollars.
Given that it's GP, it probably has to be artisan, Fair Trade, 100% organic, and hand roasted and ground.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies