Bad! U2 hotel boss says Heroin clinic not for the street with his hotel name on it.

automaticforthepeople

The General Manager of the U2 owned hotel The Clarence and friend of the late RTE Disc Jockey Gerry Ryan has opposed the proposal to open a clinic for drug users in Central Dublin. Speaking at a meeting in his own hotel which overlooks the Dublin's Liffey board walk, Michael O'Connor says that he has been attacked by drug addicts.

Mannix Flynn the Independent Dublin Councillor backs opposition to the injection centre told the meeting "Here's the rope, why don't you go and hang ourself?" Licensed vintners who also retail an addictive substance opposed the move also for injection rooms as did an international addiction counselling service, Aisling.

'I was attacked by a drug addict' - U2 hotel manager opposes injection centres - Independent.ie

captain obvious

To be honest I can understand where they are coming from, they are trying to protect their business interests. The question is if such a clinic is needed where should it be hosted that maximizes the service to the users and minimizes its impact on the remaining population?

Roll_On

It continues to astound me how the charity sector and government agencies insist on locating such things meth clinics, junkie night cafés etc. in the country's most expensive addresses. The same services could be provided in ballymount industrial estate for a fraction of the cost like they are in every other developed nation. I suppose then the CEOs of the charity sector couldn't cream more expensive off people's good will.

Old Mr Grouser

To be honest I can understand where they are coming from, they are trying to protect their business interests. The question is if such a clinic is needed where should it be hosted that maximizes the service to the users and minimizes its impact on the remaining population?
But then again this clinic shouldn't be sited down some run-down little side-street where predators can loiter.

These addicts are very vulnerable people, and there are always criminals eager to exploit them; to recruit them for prostitution or use them as drug-mules.

I worked for several years in a run-down part of London's Kings Cross where that sort of thing happened blatantly on the pavements.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

That's not the point.

The likes of Bono are always running around saying that everyone (or everyone else) should do this or that for the less fortunate in society, but when it comes down to it they are the usual elite hypocrites.

Providing solutions to these problems is fine according to these elitists, so long as it's NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).

It's just the same when it comes to groups like immigrants - all the elitist lefty luvvies want everyone else to take in immigrants, but don't want these immigrants in their communities.

Spirit Of Newgrange

there's some Karma for not paying your taxes in ireland.

Paddy Sarkozy

That's not the point.

The likes of Bono are always running around saying that everyone (or everyone else) should do this or that for the less fortunate in society, but when it comes down to it they are the usual elite hypocrites.

Providing solutions to these problems is fine according to these elitists, so long as it's NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).

It's just the same when it comes to groups like immigrants - all the elitist lefty luvvies want everyone else to take in immigrants, but don't want these immigrants in their communities.

Bono was stomping around on stage before the US election giving out about President Trump's plans to build a wall to keep out on the run Mexican killers, crooks, pimps and drug dealers. Objecting to the planned clinic is another form of wall building.
Bono walls good. Trump walls bad. Welcome to Animal Farm.

publicrealm

It's just common sense that such facilities ought not to be sited in tourist areas.

Is it okay to say that - or am I a bad person in need of re-education?

an innocent abroad

There is more than enough drug treatment centres in the city.

This is about keeping then out of the suburbs and certain other areas where it might affect their properties.

The city centre on some days looks like one massive drug treatment centre not to mention the huge amount of beggars, alcoholics etc.

It's a very small city, but when you allow all the treatment centres to be in a ring around the city it, it becomes a very uncomfortable environment for shoppers, workers, and tourists.

The serious lack of gardai on our main capital streets is another huge problem, you could spend hours in different parts if the city and never see one garda.

Enough already..

General Urko

Who the fook would like to live or have a business anywhere near junkies?
When Amadan suppports something as he did with injection centres TBH it has to raise a red flag for me! I don't know what the batty chick thinks of it, but I would have the same attitude towards virtually anything she would support!

D

Deleted member 48908

It's just common sense that such facilities ought not to be sited in tourist areas.

Is it okay to say that - or am I a bad person in need of re-education?
Trumpette Alert!

This woman is literally a fascist.

an innocent abroad

Under the drugs protocol, all addicts were to be treated in their own communities.

ON THE ONE ROAD

junkies congregate in that part of the city as it is, that might be what they are thinking off.

open drug use is a dirty practice.

if the clinic fails it fails but what ever the states response to the drug problem is at the moments isn't exactly a great success.

General Urko

Back in the early years of this century, if you visited The Netherlands, in particular Amsterdam or Rotterdam, you would see these complete and utter misfortunate gobshytes floating around the train stations! Then the authorities had a brain wave, probably because it was not a great sight for tourists. Root them out of the stations and into the burbs! Thus making the areas they were forced into much less safe for the locals and much less policeable then having them all congregated in a central area!
Essentially, if soembody in this situation asks for help they should be given every chance and not just given metadone which is itself highly dangerous! However, my working class roots come out if they wish to continue with their madness! In that case, I have to point out that they tend to come from environments where they have seen junkies out of their heads and have taken a decision unlike most working class people to go down that road and become underclass rubbish so fook them!

an innocent abroad

Who the fook would like to live or have a business anywhere near junkies?
When Amadan suppports something as he did with injection centres TBH it has to raise a red flag for me! I don't know what the batty chick thinks of it, but I would have the same attitude towards virtually anything she would support!
Ask Amadan to place it beside his house and see what happens...

an innocent abroad

junkies congregate in that part of the city as it is, that might be what they are thinking off.

open drug use is a dirty practice.

if the clinic fails it fails but what ever the states response to the drug problem is at the moments isn't exactly a great success.
it's a complete failure, but has made many charity heads lead a very comfortable lifestyle and in line for huge pensions.

General Urko

The one really frightening thing is the rapid explosion of hard drug addiction throughout the land! I have heard it said they are 300 heroin addicts in Galway City, even a number in Tuam! The reality is that this is only possible if the police force isn't doing its job and the political class doesn't give a 3 cornered shyte about governing! That's the situation, we are in!
The rule makers live in the likes of Foxrock and Blackrock and haven't an iota of understanding of what ordinary people have to put up with! Their salaries, working/unworking conditions and pensions all reinforce this!
It's called Apartheid!

an innocent abroad

For the past 20 odd years hundreds of millions have been spent on drug addiction services, at no time has their been a "Value for money" audit looking at so much money going into a service without any real visible outcomes, nor looking at the huge salaries of those involved in these charities.

We get nonstop critism of the amount of monies going into our hospital services, but nobody has critally examined the hundreds of millions going into drugs provisions and their services.

Truth.ie

Should not be in the centre. I'm embarrassed walking through the centre and seeing these zombies.
I suggest a walk-on ship docked far down the port.
Anywhere out of sight.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies