• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

The_SR

What's so difficult in providing equal air time?

It's not rocket science and is the simplest and safest way of doing so.
Define equal? RTE had it down to the second, which was overkill. What they were doing was not simple and the BAI have issued a guidance.

The_SR

You're seeking to have one side suppressed. In every referendum.
If youth defence continue to lie like they did with nurse Noel, is there not an obligation to restrict their access to the airwaves?

ger12

Nope. I'm seeking some way of ensuring that obvious lies are not given free air time.
You can't cite a referendum?

I find it quite sureel that someone so invested in Labour could support any government using it's power to influence a referendum like this.

ger12

To give you one example off the top of my head, coverage of the second divorce referendum (which my side won) was perverse.
But it's up to the People to decide what way they vote. Armed with the views from both sides

The two sides have got to be heard in a functioning democracy.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
But it's up to the People to decide what way they vote.

The two sides have got to be heard in a functioning democracy.
No problem. But, as I say, providing a disproportionate platform for obvious lies is not one of the things that the McKenna and Coughlan judgments would seem to require, though that appears to have so far been the effect of it as the public service broadcasting establishment has interpreted it.

ger12

If youth defence continue to lie like they did with nurse Noel, is there not an obligation to restrict their access to the airwaves?
Hold in, the Repeal side are claiming on social media that pregnant women are forced to carry dead babies and Irish women can't have pregnancies terminated where there's an ectopic pregnancy. Absolutely false

That doesn't excuse what the BAI are now suggesting which is a cut and paste from the Citizens Assembly which imo was a fit up, by this government.

This is serious abuse of power.

Both sides should be heard. The People will then decide.

The_SR

Hold in, the Repeal side are claiming on social media that pregnant women are forced to carry dead babies and Irish women can't have pregnancies terminated where there's an ectopic pregnancy. Absolutely false

That doesn't excuse what the BAI are now suggesting which is a cut and paste from the Citizens Assembly which imo was a fit up, by this government.

This is serious abuse of power.

Both sides should be heard. The People will then decide.
Well they are.

But that's not what's happening here.

Who do RTE go to for anti content? YD OR Mullen. And they have form. So immediately we have a problem in a practical sense.

ger12

No problem. But, as I say, providing a disproportionate platform for obvious lies is not one of the things that the McKenna and Coughlan judgments would seem to require, though that appears to have so far been the effect of it as the public service broadcasting establishment has interpreted it.
Just look at thejournal fact checks.

The side doing this is being aired on our airwaves and TV's.

FactCheck: Who got it right on "abortion up to birth" - Cora Sherlock or Ivana Bacik?

FactCheck: Who got it right in this abortion debate between Ruth Coppinger and Cora Sherlock?

FactCheck: Does this pro-life leaflet stand up to scrutiny?

FactCheck: Who's right about Ireland's record on maternal deaths?

statsman

Again, which article in Bunreacht has been breached?

ger12

Well they are.

But that's not what's happening here.

Who do RTE go to for anti content? YD OR Mullen. And they have form. So immediately we have a problem in a practical sense.
They can invite prolife politicians and prolife doctors. There's plenty of them out there. There's also other prolife organizations out there than just Mullen and YD.

This is an attempt to silence them.

The_SR

The_SR

They can invite prolife politicians and prolife doctors. There's plenty of them out there. There's also other prolife organizations out there than just Mullen and YD.

This is an attempt to silence them.
They couldn't find any pro-life doctors for the committee. Where do RTE find them?

ger12

Finbar10

So the Citizens Assembly recently covered the 50/50 media requirement coming up to a referendum.

The "experts" invited to what imo was a fit up argued we don't need this 50/50 coverage.

In a cut and paste like decsion the BAI have gone with the CA.

"At a briefing today on its guidelines on referendum coverage the BAI said that fairness objectivity and impartiality can be achieved by including interests from both sides of the debate.

There is no obligation to automatically balance each contribution with an opposing contribution as fairness can be achieved in a number of ways including presenter input, the make up of audience, the structure of the programme as well as other means, the BAI said."

https://www.rte.ie/amp/947067/

Unconstitutional I believe. See the Coughlan Judgement.

""The Supreme Court has upheld a High Court judgement that RTÉ acted unfairly in the allocation of free and unchallenged airtime to the 'Yes' and 'No' sides of the debate in the 1995 Divorce Referendum. The High Court action was taken by Trinity College lecturer Anthony Coughlan. He challenged RTÉ's treatment of the referendum and the decision of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission to dismiss his complaints."

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/5300/

The Coughlan Judgement is central, but so also is the McKenna Judgement in that the public broadcasters and the apparatus of the 'airwaves' are public assets that the Government cannot leverage to sway a vote in a particular direction.

It starts with the 8th amendment referendum.
Unlikely to be unconstitutional per say. The wording from the judgment itself is:
The scales must be held equally between those who support and those who oppose an amendment to the Constitution.
However, there are advantages to simple (perhaps coarse) easily arbitrated rules. I actually suspect RTE and state-funded media will stick to the 50%:50% format (far less likely to end up in legal hot water). Coughlan only applies to broadcast media and not to the newspapers anyway. I think the BAI have previously made the very same point in the past, and we still have 50:50. Is this really new?

I think this is actually good rule, especially in a place as small and incestuous as Ireland (where often most politicians, academics, civil service and media are usually all very much singing from the same hymn sheet). Sure, there's a danger of giving airtime to so-called "flakes". However, there has never been any shortage of group think here. Surely, dispatching the arguments of "flakes" should be easy if proposals are so compelling.

However, one person's "flake" may be another's rock of sense! ;) Generally, governments' referendums have been passed. And those that weren't passed usually failed for good reasons (Fianna Fáil two attempts to change the voting system to single constituencies or the Oireachtas Inquiries referendum etc.). The Irish establishment really really hates this body of jurisprudence, but I'm not sure they have had really all that much to whine about over the years (given referendums have usually gone their way).

Orbit v2

What's so difficult in providing equal air time?

It's not rocket science and is the simplest and safest way of doing so.
For something as contentious as this issue, then it probably will be equal air time overall, and roughly,
but not exactly 50/50 on each panel or discussion or interview.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom