• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bailing out the Irish Times?

S

simeongrimes

If we had to choose between letting a well regarded newspaper go to the wall or giving it a public subsidy the answer should be fairly obvious. Public money would turn the paper into something else, a creature of the government.

But the last paragraph of Paul Gillespe's piece today is an indication that papers on the public tit is something that may be contemplated

Coming to terms with Google's power - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 15, 2012

But a tax to help fund the public good of costly reportage has a wider appeal. Like the Tobin tax on financial transactions, it could create a new revenue stream capable of having broad oversight kept at an arm’s length from the state and making the news aggregators more accountable.
If I can read the IT online for free then I'm not going to buy it. That's their problem and the solution is to stop giving it away online. But if it became publicly funded I would've even read it for free. It would be utterly compromised. Sometimes there can be an upside to living in a state that is broke. Some of the wilder ideas for spending public money can't get off the ground.

jmcc

If we had to choose between letting a well regarded newspaper go to the wall or giving it a public subsidy the answer should be fairly obvious. Public money would turn the paper into something else, a creature of the government.
If it is a decision about letting the IT go to the wall, then based on its cheerleading of the DotCom bubble and the Property Bubble, there is only one response: F*ck it!

Good reportage? Reheated waffle, clueless lifestyle "journalism" and opinion masquerading as fact is not reportage.

Last edited:

OCicero

Yes a publicly-funded Jurassic Park of media entities is a brilliant idea. Absolutely brilliant.

D

Dylan2010

I cant wait for that rag to go the way of the horse and buggy. It does go to explain why they never give RTE a hard time over the licence fee, they want a part of it

dunno

Crying for the Irish Times? Shill-in-Chief of the property bubble? Better break out the onions.

rapparree

Let it die, though it would be appropriate for modern day Ireland to have state subsidised advertisements for the British army

OCicero

"the public good of costly reportage".

I will remember that next time I see an IBEC or ISME press release basically copied and pasted into an Irish newspaper and called a news article.

neiphin

why all the vile ?

Eoin Coir

Imagine if the Times were gone and all was left to Indo an tabloids/ No thanks , save the Times despite any warts like Waters and V Browne cols.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
If it is a decision about letting the IT go to the wall, then based on its cheerleading of the DotCom bubble and the Property Bubble, there is only one response: F*ck 'it!

Good reportage? Reheated waffle, clueless lifestyle "journalism" and opinion masquerading as fact is not reportage.
Agreed, I think it would be an act of public service to kill off the Irish Times and the symbolism of it's disastrous decision to buy myhome.ie would be a perfect epitaph.

Mad as Fish

It is the general air of both moral and intellectual superiority that gets my goat. They always seem to be addressing an ever shrinking pool of east coast snobbery with occasional and quite misguided forays into the confusing world of 'pooters and fings you plug in, either to the wall or your ears.

If the state is going to subsidise a paper then on what criteria does it depend upon to choose the fortunate publication and how does it decide whether to continue with support? If a paper has access to public money, ie guaranteed not to fail then what motivation does it have to behave like a commercial concern? None at all and it will simply descend to into another government mouthpiece, just like the BBC.

EUrJokingMeRight

Can we get rid of the Indo first?

The Times is 'Infinitely' better than the the Indo.

Indeed the Indo is without doubt the worst singular print production I've ever read in my entire existence.

Granted I've never read an phoblacht, but even that cannot be as unobjective, biased and full of BS as the Indo, as the writers with any skewed ability in those areas already works for the Indo.

We already have RTE, AKA 'the Goebbels channel', feeding us misinformation and NO important 'information' so we do not need another state subsidised and wholly compromised print media outlet.

iago1709

Of course the Irish Times has its faults. For example I think the magazine was a wasted opportunity, there's far too much lifestyle fluff in it and very few interesting articles. But compared with what else is out there it is on the whole a quality paper.

Con Gallagher

Have a good read of the news written by Irish times reporters. Then (after those 3 min have elapsed) read the news transposed from foreign press agencies. Then the regurgitated press releases. Then the adds. Then the opinion pieces.

commonman

Newspapers cost to much thats the big problem plus young people dont read newspapers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies