• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ballymena Council Bestows Honour on Liam Neeson

factual

I am currently in Chile - at 25 degrees C it makes a sunny change.

Anyhow........turning to the dreary spires of Fermanagh and Tyrone I see some positive news:

Liam Neeson: Hollywood A-lister, action hero... and now Freeman of Ballymena - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Ballymena has bestowed an honour on Liam Neeson. The DUP have softenes their stance. Previously they refused to honour the catholic actor.

I am glad to see, 10 years on, a greater sense of maturity amongst protestants north of the border!

Last edited:

DT123

So what's Ballymena got to do with the "dreary spires of Fermanagh and Tyrone"?

eskrimador

Refers to a quote.

Anyway, will this mean Ballymena will be twinned with Tatooine?

Portadown could be twinned with The Death Star

factual

Previously the DUP refused to honour him because he had complained about the difficulties of being Catholic in Ballymena.

However, today, 10 years on, this was a unanimous vote. That means the TUV voted for this too. And there are quite a few of those on Ballymena Council. So I think that is progress indeed, they can acknowledge that he is someone to be very proud of (that is true) even though he is (shock horror to them) a (whisper it quietly) catholic.

I interpret this as a growth of confidence and maturity.

DT123

Previously the DUP refused to honour him because he had complained about the difficulties of being Catholic in Ballymena.

However, today, 10 years on, this was a unanimous vote. That means the TUV voted for this too. And there are quite a few of those on Ballymena Council. So I think that is progress indeed, they can acknowledge that he is someone to be very proud of (that is true) even though he is (shock horror to them) a (whisper it quietly) catholic.

Since Liam entered the CIA,he has joined the "side of good" in the "war against terror".It was a big turn around from his days in the IRA.

runwiththewind

Since Liam entered the CIA,he has joined the "side of good" in the "war against terror".It was a big turn around from his days in the IRA.
Are you having a little difficulty telling fact from fiction there DT?;)

vivabrigada

Dangerous territory there. He's a member of the rebel Alliance
Liam Neeson doesn't know you, but he will find you and he will kill you!

Roy Feen

Dangerous territory there. He's a member of the rebel Alliance
Liam Neeson doesn't know you, but he will find you and he will kill you!
He saved a lot of Jewish people in WW2 too. A top man.

Last edited:

retep

Naah, I put it down to him crediting Big Ian for his initial venture into performance and theatrics!

Mickeymac

I am currently in Chile - at 25 degrees C it makes a sunny change.

Anyhow........turning to the dreary spires of Fermanagh and Tyrone I see some positive news:

Liam Neeson: Hollywood A-lister, action hero... and now Freeman of Ballymena - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Ballymena has bestowed an honour on Liam Neeson. The DUP have softenes their stance. Previously they refused to honour the catholic actor.

I am glad to see, 10 years on, a greater sense of maturity amongst protestants north of the border!

Neeson should have told them to stick their dopey award where the sun don't shine.................end of.

death or glory

Quite sad, on Holiday and still posting. is there no bars open yet out there.
Anyway good man Liam and I believe this is an old story as I think i read about this months ago about him geting an award from Ballymena council.

Mickeymac

Quite sad, on Holiday and still posting. is there no bars open yet out there.
Anyway good man Liam and I believe this is an old story as I think i read about this months ago about him geting an award from Ballymena council.

What credible award could a bunch of sectarian bigots bestow on anyone?

eskrimador

Always preferred Brendan Behan's discription of Donegal, meself

factual

I always took that to be about Fermanagh and Tyrone.
Here is what Churchill said:

Then came the Great War: Every institution, almost, in the world was strained. Great Empires have been overturned. The whole map of Europe has been changed. The position of countries has been violently altered. The modes of thought of men, the whole outlook on affairs, the grouping of parties, all have encountered violent and tremendous changes in the deluge of the world. But as the deluge subsides and the waters fall short, we see the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone emerging once again. The integrity of their quarrel is one of the few institutions that has been unaltered in the cataclysm which has swept the world.
I think what he is saying here is that even though so much has changed world wide, there was still the old quarrel in Northern Ireland. I doubt if he meant a quarrel in Tyrone and Fermanagh specifically. (The Omagh-Enniskillen hospital siting issue was too recent for that :) )

Gurdiev

Factual's knowledge of NI geography isn't Great .
She tells me she's been across the border though .

C

Castle Ray

"Only one great channel of entry remained open because loyal Ulster gave us the full use of the Northern Irish ports and waters and thus ensured the free working of the Clyde and the Mersey. But for the loyalty of Northern Ireland and its devotion, we should have been confronted with Slavery and death and the light which now shines so strongly throughout the world would have been quenched". Winston S Churchill.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies