Ban on pesticides in UK

McTell

Twitter
No
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/09/uk-will-back-total-ban-on-bee-harming-pesticides-michael-gove-reveals

Good news here, if you like bees and insects.

Neonicotinoids are the world’s most widely used insecticide but in 2013 the European Union banned their use on flowering crops, although the UK was among the nations opposing the ban. The European Commission now wants a total ban on their use outside of greenhouses, with a vote expected in December, and the UK’s new position makes it very likely to pass.

Se0samh

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/09/uk-will-back-total-ban-on-bee-harming-pesticides-michael-gove-reveals

Good news here, if you like bees and insects.

Neonicotinoids are the world’s most widely used insecticide but in 2013 the European Union banned their use on flowering crops, although the UK was among the nations opposing the ban. The European Commission now wants a total ban on their use outside of greenhouses, with a vote expected in December, and the UK’s new position makes it very likely to pass.

About time...

blokesbloke

Excellent news. There was very big campaign targeting the relevant Minister - I signed the petition so delighted to see it passed.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

The way this issue has unfolded has been very interesting - it seems it was all 'no, its all fine, nothing to see' but then very quietly, measures have started to be made to address this.

I guess the idea that we might run out of food focused a few minds.

eoghanacht

It's not a question of liking Bee's they are vital part of our eco system and the food chain.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

It's not a question of liking Bee's they are vital part of our eco system and the food chain.
True but I actually really like bees. A very admirable species and honey is such an amazing food.

I have noticed over the years how few bees are to be found now in the garden, I could genuinely sit for ages watching them flit from flower to flower, from the engineering of their wings to the apparently random (but anything but) flight paths they take.

The fact we also need them so intrinsically also helps to inform my feelings about them of course, I like food.

Se0samh

True but I actually really like bees. A very admirable species and honey is such an amazing food.

I have noticed over the years how few bees are to be found now in the garden, I could genuinely sit for ages watching them flit from flower to flower, from the engineering of their wings to the apparently random (but anything but) flight paths they take.

The fact we also need them so intrinsically also helps to inform my feelings about them of course, I like food.

I once moved a large pot plant, that was very popular with the local bee population, from one part of my garden to another part, the bees would navigate to where the plant had been, return to the previous navigation point several times before flying away in confusion. this process continued on for more than half an hour before the new location was discovered...

former wesleyan

The IFA are drafting their opposition document as we speak.

razorblade

Excellent news the best way to go is organic otherwise we will keep killing nature.

Accidental sock

I once moved a large pot plant, that was very popular with the local bee population, from one part of my garden to another part, the bees would navigate to where the plant had been, return to the previous navigation point several times before flying away in confusion. this process continued on for more than half an hour before the new location was discovered...
You should write a book.

A movie deal would invariably follow.

Accidental sock

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Yes honey...:)
Selected punnery;

It would bee great.

It would probably bee a Bee movie.

It would bee terrible.

It would give people a real buzz.

There would bee a real sting in the tail/tale.

Etc, etc

I've already got my coat, I'll let myself out.

former wesleyan

I was walking home the shops one afternoon last year, reading the news on my phone and walked straight into a a swarm. It was about thirty metres wide three in height and depth. It was pretty impressive. I backed away and rang my wife to collect me. Once home, I tang the mairie to have their people handle the situation. They don't do that stuff anymore. Bees are now protected in France.

Thankfully, they never attacked.

eoghanacht

We moved recently to a place with a garden I plan on leaving a section of it to grow wild as Tesco says every little helps.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I was walking home the shops one afternoon last year, reading the news on my phone and walked straight into a a swarm. It was about thirty metres wide three in height and depth. It was pretty impressive. I backed away and rang my wife to collect me. Once home, I tang the mairie to have their people handle the situation. They don't do that stuff anymore. Bees are now protected in France.

Thankfully, they never attacked.
I'd imagine that unless you were to move through it quickly they would be OK although not a theory I would like to put to the test!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies