Ban on Sulky Racing?

Krusty Cork

Minister calls for ban on sulky racing on public roads

COMMUNICATIONS MINISTER Denis Naughten has said he wants to see an outright ban on sulky racing on public roads.

The minister told the Cabinet yesterday that he is deeply concerned about the issue, not only on the grounds of animal welfare, but also when it comes to road safety.

Sulky racing involves a driver on a two-wheeled cart being pulled by a horse attached to a harness. Videos have been uploaded online of these races taking place on public roads.

Naughten secured support on the issue from his colleagues yesterday, with the minister suggesting it could be outlawed through the introduction of bye-laws.

Ban on public roads
The ban would only relate to races on public roads, and would still allow for races to take place on private property where there are special tracks for the races, in some cases.

“Currently there is no ban. There was one in my constituency only recently, and it is just so unsafe. It’s dangerous and it is putting others on the road at risk,” he told TheJournal.ie.

It is understood Agriculture Minister Michael Creed will address the issue, with the two ministers due to meet this week to discuss if it can be tackled through amendments to the Animal Welfare Bill, which is due to be voted upon by TDs this week.

Minister calls for ban on sulky racing on public roads · TheJournal.ie

A good proposal for me. Sulky Racing on public roads is very dangerous with entire roads being blocked by spectators following the races

ruserious

Can honesty not think of an opposing argument. Banish it.

GDPR

What a nasty little vindictive man this Minister is.

Reason one billion and something why we need to get Fine Gael out.

fergal1790

Considering that most of the ministers are BIG gamblers who play poker and attend the various tents at the Galway races etc there will always be sulky races for them to lay their money on! Reading that the minister for agriculture was looking at this only confirms it because most big farmers are also big gamblers who think nothing of laying several thousands on a horse or dog "odds on". Didn't our own Bertie even admit to hiding money by putting it through the bookies?

Bea C

What are you talking about?

Actually, I've thus far seen half of last night's animal welfare debate, and I must confess to being disappointed that nobody had mentioned sulky racing in that stretch anyway.

irish_bob

Considering that most of the ministers are BIG gamblers who play poker and attend the various tents at the Galway races etc there will always be sulky races for them to lay their money on! Reading that the minister for agriculture was looking at this only confirms it because most big farmers are also big gamblers who think nothing of laying several thousands on a horse or dog "odds on". Didn't our own Bertie even admit to hiding money by putting it through the bookies?
what the ************************ has that to do with tinkers abusing horses while also endangering other road users ?

irish_bob

What are you talking about?

Actually, I've thus far seen half of last night's animal welfare debate, and I must confess to being disappointed that nobody had mentioned sulky racing in that stretch anyway.
animal welfare industry tend to be liberal do gooders so criticising tinkers is an absolute taboo , same deal with feminists becoming dumbstruck when it comes to FGM

razorblade

This type of lawless behaviour needs to be tackled head on and a complete ban on it is the way to do it.

Marcos the black

Funny, your signature says that your mind is your strongest weapon, yet you refuse to use yours.

Northsideman

Ban it yes, and then what? It won't be enforced.

The people that engage in this practice don't and won't care about the law, they think they are above it and have government funded agencies to ensure this is so because it's part of their culture.

Bea C

what the ************************ has that to do with tinkers abusing horses while also endangering other road users ?
I started off thinking the same, but must confess that I didn't get past the first sentence or so of his post.

Fr Peter McWhinger

COMMUNICATIONS MINISTER Denis Naughten has said he wants to see an outright ban on sulky racing on public roads.

The minister told the Cabinet yesterday that he is deeply concerned about the issue, not only on the grounds of animal welfare, but also when it comes to road safety.

Sulky racing involves a driver on a two-wheeled cart being pulled by a horse attached to a harness. Videos have been uploaded online of these races taking place on public roads.

Naughten secured support on the issue from his colleagues yesterday, with the minister suggesting it could be outlawed through the introduction of bye-laws.

Ban on public roads
The ban would only relate to races on public roads, and would still allow for races to take place on private property where there are special tracks for the races, in some cases.

“Currently there is no ban. There was one in my constituency only recently, and it is just so unsafe. It’s dangerous and it is putting others on the road at risk,” he told TheJournal.ie.

It is understood Agriculture Minister Michael Creed will address the issue, with the two ministers due to meet this week to discuss if it can be tackled through amendments to the Animal Welfare Bill, which is due to be voted upon by TDs this week.

Minister calls for ban on sulky racing on public roads · TheJournal.ie

A good proposal for me. Sulky Racing on public roads is very dangerous with entire roads being blocked by spectators following the races

Where is the need for new Law? Why not enforce existing Laws?

 Previous Section
Next Section 
Print Section 

Road Traffic Act, 1961

Careless driving.

52.—(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence

Dangerous Driving is a more serious offence

Road Traffic Act, 1961, Section 53

razorblade

The same rules should apply to them as everyone else culture or not, illegality is illegality simple as.

The_SR

They aren't looking to ban it. They ate looking to ban it on public roads. I'm not sure why this can't be dealt with under current legislation myself.

Old Mr Grouser

COMMUNICATIONS MINISTER Denis Naughten has said he wants to see an outright ban on sulky racing on public roads ...
The ban would only relate to races on public roads ... [highlight]Currently there is no ban[/highlight] ...
That is absolutely astonishing. Is there any explanation given for it?

You can't blame the Traveller community for the current situation. It's the AGS and the courts that need their behinds kicked.

johnny365

Should have been banned years ago, it’s dangerous and they show contempt for other users. Ban it yes but will it matter or be enforced?

Cruelty to animals is also banned but nobody seems to have an issue with it when it’s travelers dishing out the cruelty. I’ve have reported several instances of barbaric cruelty to animals by travelers, I’m met with silence and and an unwillgness to do anything. If sulky racing was banned the ban would not be enforced or would just be ignored. The joke is if it was banned I could see local authority’s spending millions developing sulky racing tracks on council land, watch this space!

People are clearly intimidated but this will never feature on an RTÉ Prime Time show, instead we will get a John Connors documentary about “cultural oppression”.

New Threads

Most Replies