• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ban political posters

Banning political posters

• Total voters
I think political posters should be banned.

The very vast majority of them give no useful information. How can you fit useful information on a poster. All they give is a photo, a name, and vote number 1.

There are some political posters, outside of election time, that have useful information such as public meetin on Sunday. These are ok.

If we really must have these posters I think they should be restricted to certain areas. Councils can be instructed to put big wooden panels in the centre of towns, and the politicians can put their posters on them.

Lamp posts are for lamps, not for posters.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Agreed- with the one exception. In the 2007 election FF seemed to have adopted an airbrushing technique on the photos. It made for amusing comments when driving past.

Otherwise they are messy, prone to end up littering the place and I doubt very much whether they change anyone's mind about the way they vote.

wysiwyg

No.. banning posters favours the incumbents

New candidates or candidates in areas where they are less well known employ posters as a useful way of letting people know that they are running for election

An Gilladaker

Aww, the poor city .. is life that hard for ye city dwellers that ye can't put up with looking at a poster for a month or so... poor diddums
Sure we are no farm payments to look forward to very sad hows the sheep

TradCat

I would have disagreed with this before because I like the election atmosphere. But this time they come across as a dreadful waste of money. Could they at least be limited to 100 posters per runner. What we have now is complete overkill.

Iarmhi Gael

I think election posters would be okay if they were able to be used for something after the election.

Like having a poster of the Teletubbies behind them so kids could take home, Hanna Montana for young Girls, Ireland Rugby team for teenagers or a board game for adults

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
_. P .., .S.
. .:............. ....
....:.................._ ....,
............ .............., .:..
....... . . _:........ :..
_...... . .<........ ....
,...... ....... ..._.
_..... ..:...) .....
:.... ..:.... .....
.... _:..... .....
...... .....U..._.
..... _:..... (
O..... ......
:... ) .......
....._ . ...E:..),
.:.... ).... . _.....
..... ,...... .:....
) ..... ...:.._ .....
....... ..:..... ...+,
. :...... )..:...,. ....
.:....... ..+......., _:...
............?. .............. .....
. .......:............,. :...
. :..............) ...
.. I. .. ,D.

scitilop

There is no evidence that posters favour incumbants. In fact, posters actually represent a huge financial burden to any new candidates. Because posters are so ubiquitious they become invisible after the first few days; the only thing that stands out about posters is which candidates are missing. They are a waste money, unfriendly to the environment and (speaking from experience) a huge burden to put up and take down! New candidates can create advantage through innovative use of technologies and sheer hard graft - knocking on doors early and repeatedly.

Kf

Agreed, a strict limit of 100 and regulated to no more than a3 size.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
I can think of no negative in this idea
This is an idea supported by the political elite, who hold many of the electorate in contempt.

There are many people with extremely low awareness of politics, don't know what constituency they live in, don't watch the news. Posters are an excellent way to announce to them the basic information needed to participate in democracy.

The erection of posters is well-regulated, and for the most part these regulations work very well. I have no problem with changing the regulations, such as having designated areas, but removing them altogether would not contribute to democracy.

garlandgreen

This is an idea supported by the political elite, who hold many of the electorate in contempt.

There are many people with extremely low awareness of politics, don't know what constituency they live in, don't watch the news. Posters are an excellent way to announce to them the basic information needed to participate in democracy.

The erection of posters is well-regulated, and for the most part these regulations work very well. I have no problem with changing the regulations, such as having designated areas, but removing them altogether would not contribute to democracy.
You think "Cowen-Photo- 1" is the basic information they need. Information... what does it inform them about?

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
You think "Cowen-Photo- 1" is the basic information they need. Information... what does it inform them about?
  1. It informs them that an election is taking place
  2. It informs them, as they travel to work, shopping etc roughly where constituencies start and end, and which one they are in
  3. It informs them about new candidates and parties running
  4. It reminds them of candidates they have heard of before
  5. It gives them an idea of the age and gender of the candidate
  6. It gives them a cue to listen out for news broadcasts, which they otherwise wouldn't
  7. It gives them a cue to glance at the leaflets that come in the door
  8. It gives them a cue to ask trusted people who they think they should vote for
I am not talking about stupid people here, just those with near zero interest in current affairs, and normally never watch the news or read papers. There is a significant proportion of them who pay a bit of attention (say watch one or two news broadcasts) in an election campaign.

I think that self-regarding political anoraks hold them in such contempt. I think their opinions are just as valid.

caminoed

Banning posters only benefits incumbents, and bigger parties as their candidates are more likely to be known... people's anger towards posters is just a reflection of the general poor attitude towards politics. we should all be priveleged to live in a democracy where we can put faces on posters and give people a choice...

The Dude

More towns need to enforce bans on posters within the limits of said town like in Fermoy, the more that do it the more the idea will catch on and spread ot larger local authorities.

gerg

As a new candidiate in Cork City I believe...

Banning posters only benefits incumbents, ... people's anger towards posters is just a reflection of the general poor attitude towards politics. we should all be priveleged to live in a democracy where we can put faces on posters and give people a choice...

It is nearly impossible to get any exposure with the media
Ireland is still a place of where those in power will do everything to hold it

garlandgreen

It informs them that an election is taking place
They probably already knew that much
It informs them, as they travel to work, shopping etc roughly where constituencies start and end, and which one they are in
The polling card would tell them that much when they go to vote
It informs them about new candidates and parties running
But it tells you nothing about them
It reminds them of candidates they have heard of before
Favouring the incumbents
It gives them an idea of the age and gender of the candidate
Useful for personals ads
It gives them a cue to listen out for news broadcasts, which they otherwise wouldn't
I doubt it if they are didinterested as you seem to suggest
It gives them a cue to glance at the leaflets that come in the door
Which are barely more informative than the posters
It gives them a cue to ask trusted people who they think they should vote for.
These trusted people could be as unreliable as anybody else like the hypothetical disinterested voter
I am not talking about stupid people here, just those with near zero interest in current affairs, and normally never watch the news or read papers. There is a significant proportion of them who pay a bit of attention (say watch one or two news broadcasts) in an election campaign.

I think that self-regarding political anoraks hold them in such contempt. I think their opinions are just as valid.
Not if they're know nothings as your post seems to suggest they are