Ban Those bloody election posters

mickdotcom

Yes they should

or failing that confined to a very limited area-

Councils and Local Authorities should licence each poster and colour code the tie wraps,

this would bring in much needed revenue and make sure they are tided up afterwards

happycamper

Yes they should

or failing that confined to a very limited area-

Councils and Local Authorities should licence each poster and colour code the tie wraps,

this would bring in much needed revenue and make sure they are tided up afterwards
Yes - a good idea.

I do believe in France each candidate is randomly allocated space on a 'poster billboard' (that is positioned in places near towns etc)

No harm having posters, or rather, no point in banning them, but massively controlling them would be beneficial for all concerned.

what's probably most worrying is that they must work = people must make decisions on the look of a poster and a slogan = no wonder we're in this mess.

Luigi Vampa

Yes. No need for them, a pollution menace and waste of time and money. If one party puts them up, they all have to put them up, so banning them is the only way.

eyelight

Over here in the UK you don't see them at all at election time. Political billboards that the parties pay for, and people can put up posters in their windows, or small party signs on their land, but no posters on telephone poles. Must be illegal.

meriwether

No. What I would ban is the persistent, predictable whinging about these. Same thing every 5 years, just as predictable as the 'How to survive the work Christmas party' every December in the Indo.

Do yiz have nothing better to give out about?

Posters are very useful for candidates who don't have the backing of big money or big organisations. Once they are taken down properly, I think we can survive it for 3 weeks, can't we?

boardwalker

Danger to eyes.

How parties have the cheek to attach posters to private property really annoys me. Eircom poles are privately owned - the P & T is long gone, and so they shouldn't be used.
Cable ties left behind after the elections are particularly dangerous, as they always seem to slip down to head height, with the uncut tail pointing at your eyes.

Question?: is it illegal to tear down FF/Green posters during a campaign?

scallioneater

How parties have the cheek to attach posters to private property really annoys me. Eircom poles are privately owned - the P & T is long gone, and so they shouldn't be used.
Cable ties left behind after the elections are particularly dangerous, as they always seem to slip down to head height, with the uncut tail pointing at your eyes.

Question?: is it illegal to tear down FF/Green posters during a campaign?
Undemocratic if not illegal, how would you feel if you paid to put posters up and they where just removed? you can't silence people just because you don't like them. And as far as i know all posters have to be removed after election. as to posters on private property I guess the owner has the right to do whatever they want. Maybe you should send a letter to Eircom pointing out a possible untapped source of income :)

ocoonassa

Best just to follow people around as they're putting them up and take them down again, long handled pruning shears are ideal.

ocoonassa

Undemocratic if not illegal, how would you feel if you paid to put posters up and they where just removed?
Like an absolute idiot. Would I learn my lesson though? I think so.

boardwalker

Undemocratic if not illegal, how would you feel if you paid to put posters up and they where just removed? you can't silence people just because you don't like them. And as far as i know all posters have to be removed after election. as to posters on private property I guess the owner has the right to do whatever they want. Maybe you should send a letter to Eircom pointing out a possible untapped source of income :)
You're right, all posters do have to be removed - and all the parties do this by simply ripping the poster away, leaving the cable tie in situ! Surely its not ok to leave the cable ties behind, but then, why worry if an eye is poked out, its only a member of the public who gets injured. As regards the undemocratic nature of pulling down FF posters, well I don't particularly give a damn.

RainyDay

Not having posters would give advantage to well-known incumbent candidates over fresh new faces - Do you want more of the same?

hiding behind a poster

You're right, all posters do have to be removed - and all the parties do this by simply ripping the poster away, leaving the cable tie in situ! Surely its not ok to leave the cable ties behind, but then, why worry if an eye is poked out, its only a member of the public who gets injured.
We don't. In my constituency we use cherry-pickers to take down posters - they remove them by clipping the plastic ties, which then come down with the posters.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies