• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Bangladesh restaurant attack

yosef shompeter

Autopsy finds Italian victims of Dhaka attack were tortured - The Local

Shock and outrage of course, but this terror attack seemed to to be much more personal. Perhaps because non-muslims were singled out. Perhaps it was the torture.
The news reports mention that the victims were tortured and died a slow death --doesn't go into detail. Each guest at the restaurant was given a test to see could he/she recite verses from the Koran. If he/she could, then they were spared, if not then a cruel death.

The instinctive reaction is to curse Muslims, Arabs, Indians/ Pakistanis etc,... but you don't have to go very far to find parallels to this attack.
There is the Miami Showband attack in northern Ireland.
This was followed on a few weeks later by an attack on Protestant building workers... in this case the victims were shot if they had said they were Protestant. The one Catholic was allowed run off.
Then there is the case of that man Briggs from the UVF, who used to apprehend Catholics and take them at gunpoint to east Belfast and dismember them... or pretty much torture them.
Of course then there are the actions of the British Army and the treatment of suspects during the 1970's. The U.N. had something to say about that.

Unpleasant stuff. I don't know whether to go along with the polite society and dismiss the Bangladeshi attack as one of those things are go the other route and give it full analysis and put it up for discussion.

But I wish to Heaven they would all stop.
Whether extraordinary rendition or mutilating and killing restaurant guests in the name of Allah.
Maybe this globalization has gone far enough.

East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet.
Or when they do there's one big explosive mixture.

Truth.ie

The North analogy I don´t get.

The attack on an Italian in Bangladesh was in retaliation for what exactly???

yosef shompeter

I believe in this case the background might be more important than the facts.
Bangladesh has a female prime minister. For much of the population she is not fundamentalist enough. The attackers justified their actions by saying that the law of Allah was not being implemented and hence the government and functionaries were mere Kuaffirs (non-muslim) and implementing the laws of man rather than Allah.
It seems some of the attackers were disaffected youth from the upper echelons of Bangladesh society.
Presumably it was planned in advance. One of the chefs seems to have actively helped the assailants and been on friendly terms. As to why they would single out Italians and Japanese, I have no idea... there were one American among the victims too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-2_July_2016_Dhaka_attack

The analogy with the north.
Well in an effort to understand the motivation the nearest (in kilometers may not in similarity) would be the north. You were pretty much singled out on religion... as in the attacks of that man Briggs, he took his vicitims from west Belfast. The Miami showband... pretty much Catholic.... southern? coming from the republic? I would say that religion was the motivation here. and that massacre of Protestant workers... well the group of workers was separated according to the religion they gave.
It is an uncomfortable thought to bring up this comparison. But similarities are there

Truth.ie

It certainly nailed the lie that these attacks were linked to Israel/ Palestine or Western policies.....as we were told for decades.
These people just hate non-Muslims and dont need a pretext.

former wesleyan

It certainly nailed the lie that these attacks were linked to Israel/ Palestine or Western policies.....as we were told for decades.
They hate Muslims too. Usually for not being muslim enough.

Rise of the Caliphate: The origins of Salafi-Jihadism | Middle East Eye

…..this tension between corporeal and spiritual aspects, Maher writes, IS's "purpose can therefore appear contradictory". Its short-term goal is to capture territory, to remain and expand. But its long-term objective is "philosophically destructive in its desire to precipitate the end of the world" and to bring about the commencement of God's judgement.

yosef shompeter

Tcha...there you would have to draw up a scoreboard.
The Muslim invasions of the 6th 7th century from the Gulf right across north Africa Spain and France. I met some muslims who, with straight faces maintained that this was all done peacefully. They were well-educated! (they had the Koran off-by-heart :()....maybe products of the Wahabi education system.
The Turkish conquest of South Eastern Europe in the middle ages right up to Budapest and Vienna was very ruthless. Numerous historical documentst to attest to that.
The point I'm trying to make is that someone should point out to the "new Irish" jihadis that their islamification was pretty brutal and their playing the role of victim is not justified by history.
In modern times....well the window of opportunity where the state of Israel was created with the British withdrawal from Palastine-- a sore point with the Arabs.... before the Brits, the Ottoman Turks ruled it.
Now that the U.S. seems to be pulling back from Middle East politics...is it getting any better? The sore seems to be festering.

As to these restaurant killings in Bangaldesh.... there is something so personal in the hatred. Not only were the victims singled out on their ability to recite the Koran, i.e. were they Muslim or not, it didn't matter whether they were Eastern or Western, Christain or Buddhist as the example of the Japanese victims shows. Also the majority were Italians....not Americans.

That it was somehow connected with the poverty and deprivation of Bangladesh is not true either. The assailants seemed to be young men from upper-class backgrounds.

What's the fascination? The evilness of the deed. Maybe it's warfare in the old-fashioned method... and the alleged or contrived connection back to the glorious past which is meant to justify the deed.

I suppose the sense of faux outrage... or could I say the faux outrage instilled into impressionable angry young men, the intensity of their cruelty and there self-declared moral superiority of justifiably "hitting back" is the point of fascination. Perhaps too the motivation of following God's or Allah's Law. I don't think Agatha Christie or Ian Fleming or Shakespear could have constructed a more fascinating plot.

Just to illustrate that their actions were not directed towards America, "the great Satan" or against the Jews or Israelis, here is the scoreboard of the victims:
Italians killed: 9
Japanese Killed: 7
Bagladesh killed: 6
Indians killed: 1
Americans killed 1

probably a few more in the meantime as some of the wounded pass on.

Last edited:

Mitsui2

She never said it to you though, right:rolleyes:
Of course she did. Mind you she was talking about drink in that instance.

Me ma seemed to believe that strong men had a proprietary interest in an alarming number of weaknesses!

Analyzer

Those who take the instructions of a cult seriously are committing barbaric crimes.

What does this say about the inherent essence of the cult ?

Apart from anything else it is obsessed with sex, & using women for the sake of immoral men. Which is something the feminists will not discuss.

Now that the feminists have mrt a real patriarchy, they refuse to critique it.

TARZAN

The condemnation from the Clonskeagh mosque of this atrocity as well as many others committed by Sunni Muslims is deafening.

Analyzer

No flags flying half mast over this like occurs for whomever is the keading elder if the family that owns the country behind the extreme cult of hatred.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Why the necessity to torture and kill people who won't convert? Because a book instructs that this be done? What of people who are atheist or content with their fate? Are they destined to be tortured and killed? "Eat this chocolate or die"! "But I don't like chocolate"! "Then die"!
One must conclude that people in this country and further afield are destined to die a gruesome death which reason and logic cannot avert. You can't reason with someone intent on killing you.
The rationale is, to paraphrase the Koran, the disbelievers anger God, who is just itching for a chance to torture them for all eternity once they are cast into the pit of fire. Any torture you could inflict on them would be just a fraction of the pain that awaits them in the afterlife, and if you kill them, God will be pleased because then he gets to torture them for infinity.

Charming book.

Clanrickard

Autopsy finds Italian victims of Dhaka attack were tortured - The Local

Shock and outrage of course, but this terror attack seemed to to be much more personal. Perhaps because non-muslims were singled out. Perhaps it was the torture.
The news reports mention that the victims were tortured and died a slow death --doesn't go into detail. Each guest at the restaurant was given a test to see could he/she recite verses from the Koran. If he/she could, then they were spared, if not then a cruel death.

The instinctive reaction is to curse Muslims, Arabs, Indians/ Pakistanis etc,... but you don't have to go very far to find parallels to this attack..........
Stopped reading right there. These people were inspired by their faith to do this. It might be a minority view of their faith but it is still their faith. Anyone who wishes to white wash this fact I simply ignore them. I can't be bothered at this stage with deluded facesavers.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

It pleases God to see that which HE created in HIS own image slaughtered? Although to quote the Bible it says let "us" create man in "our" own image. To encourage people, as clerics do, to murder people and for people to heed the clerics words and do murder suggests they are not people of God or even qualify as people. Rather the cleric and his murderers are possessed by demons and by slaughtering people are actually pleasing Satan and angrying God.
If there were such a thing as God or Satan, I would say the God described in the Koran has more in common with the latter.

The thing about whether God minds slaughtering his own creations leads to another interesting question: if God is omnipotent and can forsee all future events, does he actually create people with the intent of slaughtering them as disbelievers later. It's been a couple of years since I read the Koran, so I can't give precise quotes, but I recall verses suggesting that Allah had basically created the unbelievers in order to punish them (for the benefit of making the believers fear God).

I know that in some Christian traditions, there is a view that people are predestined to go to Hell from before they are even born.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Really? I don't find my instincts prompting me to do that at all!
Especially considering that most of the victims of these crazed monsters are Arabs, Muslims and Pakistanis....and they'd kill Indians by the thousand if they got the chance.

There is the Miami Showband attack in northern Ireland.
This was followed on a few weeks later by an attack on Protestant building workers... in this case the victims were shot if they had said they were Protestant. The one Catholic was allowed run off.
Then there is the case of that man Briggs from the UVF....
Bad as those killings were, they are-to a degree-understandable (although inexcusable, I hasten to add). These people lived in proximity to their victims, saw them as a threat to their destiny and identity. It was a war of neighbours,the same as Azerbajan or Bosnia or Kashmir or several African countries. But Bangladesh is a chilling example of murder based on pure ideology, no local quarrel, no resentment of past wrongs, no age old feud.They knew nothing about their victims except that they were Kuffir. That was enough.

Last edited:

yosef shompeter

Stopped reading right there. These people were inspired by their faith to do this. It might be a minority view of their faith but it is still their faith. Anyone who wishes to white wash this fact I simply ignore them. I can't be bothered at this stage with deluded facesavers.
Me trying my hand at Koranic theology is a bit like me trying to fix a broken faucet or mend a TV.
But from what I've read in the english translation of it, Muslims have been instructed by Allah or by Mohomed to make an exception and tolerate the Christians and Jews as they were instilled into their religion before the arrival of Mohomed and the Koran. Any offshoots after that : Druse, Bahai Yahizdi etc ... they get it in the neck.
Cynicist could enlighten us on this? or then again maybe not?

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Yes, Muslims were traditionally enjoined to have a degree of toleration, if not respect for the so-called "People of the Book" (ahl al-kitab), that is monotheistic Christians and Jews. Some Muslims extended that to include other religions like Hindus, Zoroastrians or Buddhists. "Because the People of the Book recognize the God of Abraham, as the one and only god, as do Muslims, and they practice revealed faiths based on divine ordinances, tolerance and autonomy is accorded to them". Of course this was qualified by certain other restrictions and prohibitions.
But that has gone out the window with the Jihadis...as indeed it has been with radical Muslims for some time now..

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies