• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bank guarantee that FG supported 'catastrophic' - Kenny.

Baron von Biffo

RTE 9 O'clock news has just reported that Enda Kenny's speech to the MacGill Summer School will call the bank guarantee 'catastrophic.' Readers will recall that FG voted for the guarantee in the Dail.

turdsl

RTE 9 O'clock news has just reported that Enda Kenny's speech to the MacGill Summer School will call the bank guarantee 'catastrophic.' Readers will recall that FG voted for the guarantee in the Dail.

I suppose he should have known better, Did he expect Cowen and Lenihan to tell him the truth.

Mushroom

Readers will recall that FG voted for the guarantee in the Dail.
FG voted for the guarantee on the basis of the lies put out at the time by BIFFO, Bozo and Rip Van Winkle.

Now that the spin has been exposed for all to see, Enda has adopted the Keynesian approach: "When the facts change, I change my mind."

Bravo Enda!

Squire Allworthy

FG voted for the guarantee on the basis of the lies put out at the time by BIFFO, Bozo and Rip Van Winkle.
Sorry I really don't accept that excuse. It is just not good enough.

To anyone with sense issuing guarantees is always a serious matter. To issue them to all and sundry for amounts unknown is the actions of the insane. For someone who aspires to be An Taoiseach not to realise this at the time does not inspire confidence. For that same person to now dance around proclaiming new wisdom strikes me as pure opportunism.

Of course the errors of FF ways have to be opposed, but he has little to crow about and should be a lot more contrite, for imagine for one minute that FG had opposed the guarantee the outlook now may well have been very different as the argument would have shifted FF into the defensive and subsequent events may have received better scrutiny.

grassroots

That is exactly the point. Cowen told the Dail that the issue was one of a lack of funding and that the banks were fundamentally sound. Yet he knew that Anglo was possibly insolvent.

GDPR

Jeez, I hope he goes into details, he'll fall over himself.

Tommythecommy

Fine Gael opposed guaranteeing the 60 million of bondholders

Fine Gael opposed guaranteeing the 60 million of bondholders

Squire Allworthy

That is exactly the point. Cowen told the Dail that the issue was one of a lack of funding and that the banks were fundamentally sound. Yet he knew that Anglo was possibly insolvent.

Oh come on even I knew that wasn't the case at the time, and I only periodically live in Ireland.

Are you telling me that FG are that gullible?

He3

FG decided to trust Cowen/Lenihan under pressure.

Bad move.

turdsl

I would say Enda got to know the credibility of Brian Lenihan much better since the Willie O Dea affair when Brian stood up in the Dail and gave a speech in support of Willie
and then went with the rest of his government and voted complete confidence in a minister who had used an untrue smear to damage an opponent in a local election. Kenny made a mistake he should not have taken the word of Cowen and Lenihan, I would not. Kenny cannot be taking the word of Fianna Fail ministers if he wants to succeed. at least he put things right today.,

PUFF DADDY

listen to peter matthews on tv3, thread open.. I like this man

Baron von Biffo

Now that the spin has been exposed for all to see, Enda has adopted the Keynesian approach: "When the facts change, I change my mind."

Bravo Enda!
So our would-be Taoiseach was gulled by BIFFO, Bozo and Rip Van Winkle. Not the most glowing testament to his judgement, is it?

hiding behind a poster

So our would-be Taoiseach was gulled by BIFFO, Bozo and Rip Van Winkle. Not the most glowing testament to his judgement, is it?
He was lied to by them. What's your point?

spidermom

What a MAD thread..."Blame FG cos they were lied to by a pack of corrupt incompetents" should be the name of this thread!!

turdsl

I know. especially since nobody in their right mind believes a word this government would tell you, however, he is on the right track now. after today.

Squire Allworthy

He was lied to by them. What's your point?

Several points.

1. They would need to have been extremely gullible.
  2. Lack of judgement.
  3. Lack of insight into what was actually happening.
  4. Lack of ability to appraise the situation for themselves.
You never, ever EVER allow yourself to be bounced into a decision like this on an issue of such fundamental importance.

What a MAD thread..."Blame FG cos they were lied to by a pack of corrupt incompetents" should be the name of this thread!!
FF were to blame BUT FG should have been a lot more astute. They were inept if not down right second rate on this issue at a crucial time.

Baron von Biffo

Several points.

1. They would need to have been extremely gullible.
  2. Lack of judgement.
  3. Lack of insight into what was actually happening.
  4. Lack of ability to appraise the situation for themselves.
You never, ever EVER allow yourself to be bounced into a decision like this on an issue of such fundamental importance.

FF were to blame BUT FG should have been a lot more astute. They were inept if not down right second rate on this issue at a crucial time.
+1

Before falling over themselves to vote for a blank cheque for the banks they should have insisted on access to all the relevant information. Major failure of judgement.

j2mey

So Enda was lied to - so what!
Doesn't he have his own advisors?
Hasn't he worked with/alongside these people for years so he should know them and he should know if he could trust them or not - he is the longest serving politician in the Dáil after all. What the hell has he been doing for the past 40 years?

He might not have had access to 100% of the info BUT THAT'S THE POINT -
WHY DID HE AGREE TO PUT THE PEOPLE OF IRELAND INTO SUCH A HELL HOLE WHEN THE BANKS WEREN'T TELLING ANY OF THEM HOW MUCH THEY OWED, WHAT KIND OF LIABILITIES THEY HAD?

He should have said - When in doubt - say NO!

Would you give someone money if they refused to tell you what their financial situation was like - especially their liabilities, what was their contamination to sub-prime loans, etc? The Banks were and still are ARROGANT.
The Dáil - including FG - were STUPID, GROSSLY NEGLIGENT, INCOMPETANT IDIOTS.

FG were wrong.
Yes, FF were wrong.
But FG were wrong also.

I am so disallusioned with you posters who defend FG in this. You are the people who keep Ireland down and who will forever keep Ireland down. You are the people who vote FG (and yes you have your comrades in FF who do the same thing) no matter what. YOU ARE JUDAS SHEEP and you and your ilk are ruining this country for yourselves, for us, and for all our children.

Last edited: