Bank machines

gayguy2000

I'm not sure if this belongs in economy. Just wondering though. Is there a reason why bank machines in Ireland rarely have 20s (only 50s), and don't give you 10s? In France, Spain, Germany etc, if you take out 50 or 60 it gives you an assortment of notes. The UK does the same too with sterling. Is there a reason for this? Is it more economical for them to only give out 50s or something? Or am I just imagining all this?

Teabag

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Soon they wont give you any money at all!! :lol:

eyelight

Celtic Tiger hangover, meant to encourage you to spend more money.

Here in the UK, you always get a £10 note out of a cash machine. If you want to withdraw £20, they'll generally give you 2 tens.

Tigris Celtica

changed over to a british bank 2 weeks ago. Everyone should do the same.
I have done exactly the same ages ago. I mean who in their right mind would put their money in the bank of a "dumb feudal kleptocracy masquerading as a Republic" ? .:mad:

johnfás

Alot more ATMs will give you tenners now but you generally have to press the other amounts button and key it in.

Conor

I'm not sure if this belongs in economy. Just wondering though. Is there a reason why bank machines in Ireland rarely have 20s (only 50s), and don't give you 10s? In France, Spain, Germany etc, if you take out 50 or 60 it gives you an assortment of notes. The UK does the same too with sterling. Is there a reason for this? Is it more economical for them to only give out 50s or something? Or am I just imagining all this?
You can fit more in if you only have higher denomination notes, and don't have to refill it as often.

stripey cat

Here's a true story for you. A friend of mine works in a big firm in central Dublin. They have their own little ATM in the lobby of the office building, which is used by staff and visitors.

A senior executive in one of the big Irish banks came in to meet the top dog in the firm for some reason recently. He noticed the ATM and asked if it would okay for him to use it.

Now here's the thing- the ATM belonged to the other big Irish bank and he pretty much emptied it. The receptionist actually joked that he should leave a few quid for everyone else when she saw how much money he was taking out.

gayguy2000

You can fit more in if you only have higher denomination notes, and don't have to refill it as often.
So it's a cost thing. Poor customer service, to save a little cost on security vans. Typical Ireland ffs.

johnfás

Wrong. I haven't seen a 10 note since we had punts. Has anyone else?
I take a tenner out of the AIB ATM on Chatham Street about twice a week, ditto the AIB ATMs in Dundrum. Why not try taking a ten euro note out of the machine a few times by pressing other amounts, rather than simply saying its impossible.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
All Ulster bank machines will dispense 10's. most bank of Ireland ones will also. Haven't heard of AIB machines giving them out but see Johnfás' post above.

slx

It's very simple, the banks do not care about customers.
They load with 50s because it reduces the number of re-loads they need to do per day.
It's as simple as that.

Cassandra Syndrome

Don't worry Gayguy, our new bankers will soon dispense tenners, fivers and even singles as well in their ATMs

brigg

Wrong. I haven't seen a 10 note since we had punts. Has anyone else?
I personally know of an ATM local to me that would often ONLY give out ten notes. For instance, it would not be unusual for it to give out 5 ten notes if you asked for 50.
It appears the old cliche to 'shop around' applies to ATMs.

gayguy2000

I personally know of an ATM local to me that would often ONLY give out ten notes. For instance, it would not be unusual for it to give out 5 ten notes if you asked for 50.
It appears the old cliche to 'shop around' applies to ATMs.
Honestly I use the things on a daily basis almost and I haven't seen a 10 in years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies