Bank of England deputy describes UK economy as "menopausal".

Wascurito

Bank of England Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent has apologized for describing Britain’s economy as going through a "menopausal" phase.

The ex-Goldman Sachs economist, who is among those tipped as a potential successor to current bank head, Mark Carney said financial experts used the phrase to describe economies that were "past their peak and no longer so potent".

Bank of England deputy Broadbent sorry for 'offence caused' by menopause comment

Sync

Uh. I’ve worked in finance for a while. Never heard that term ever.

Wascurito

The Financial Times is tut-tutting.

"The average age for women to reach the menopause is 51, according to the NHS. One in 100 women experiences the menopause before 40 years of age, it adds. It makes no mention of the age at which this experience applies to men.

In late March, the BoE’s chief operating officer Joanna Place said the central bank was 'striving for an inclusive culture that will help every person to reach their potential . . . And gender balance is a significant component of that.'
"

BoE’s Broadbent points to 'menopausal' UK economy 'past its peak'

Analyzer

If sexist remarks, derogatory of women, are creeping into the venacular speech of bankers....does this indicate another surge of loose monetary policy funded, aggression fuelled hubris.....that will eventually collapse ?

paddycomeback

The BofE monetary policy reminds me of Tena Lady. Everytime I think of it I nearly wee myself laughing.

silverharp

good timing, Mothercare is in financial trouble :D

Gin Soaked

If sexist remarks, derogatory of women, are creeping into the venacular speech of bankers....does this indicate another surge of loose monetary policy funded, aggression fuelled hubris.....that will eventually collapse ?
And which has been dependent on a little blue pill for it's performance after the "this has never been a problem" issue in 2008. Which was caused by excessive tugging ....

And it's always lied about it's girth.

Wascurito

Considering the ages of the chaps in question, it could be known as quantitative wheezing?

GDPR

Oh well, better a menopausal woman than a menopausal man, blowing all his savings on a Harley Davidson and running off with the au pair...

The Field Marshal

Uh. I’ve worked in finance for a while. Never heard that term ever.
It is a term used to describe females entering a phase when they cease to be fertile.

So using it in reference to finance may be entirely appropriate depending on circumstances.

Economies can get "menopausal"l and I don't see what the fuss is about.

Women need to face these biological facts and not be getting hysterical every time somebody says"menopausal".

It,s just a word and it does not belong to a bunch of grabbing women alone.

Who is John Galt?

We'll have to stop using male and female in engineering too.
Women will no longer accept men screwing anything they choose into them!

Spirit Of Newgrange

isnt Brexit all about withdrawal, and just like a Bank, you always lose interest on withdrawal.

Analyzer

Considering the ages of the chaps in question, it could be known as quantitative wheezing?
I wish I could click a "like" to that.

Please fix this site !!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies