Banker-wrongly-blamed-Putney-push-gets-bodyguards

Betson

Minor story from the UK , but shows the media in a bad light again.

This guy is very lucky he could prove he was in America when the incident happened as the media had him publicly hung drawn and quartered before the police investigation was barely a day old. He was the perfect bad guy , middle aged white rich guy who worked in banking. A wet dream villain for most media editors.

Banker wrongly blamed for Putney push gets bodyguards | Daily Mail Online

ger12

The cops didn't check whether he was out of the country before they arrested him? Doh.

I hope the get the fécker who almost killed that lady.

Kilbarry

Minor story from the UK , but shows the media in a bad light again.

This guy is very lucky he could prove he was in America when the incident happened as the media had him publicly hung drawn and quartered before the police investigation was barely a day old. He was the perfect bad guy , middle aged white rich guy who worked in banking. A wet dream villain for most media editors.

Banker wrongly blamed for Putney push gets bodyguards | Daily Mail Online
"He was the perfect bad guy"...Indeed. A few years ago the head of a Catholic Religious Order in Australia, the Vincentians was arrested amid vast publicity on a charge that he had raped a boy 20 years previously. He was quickly released after being able to prove that he was not on the subcontinent at the time!

What this lunacy shows is that public hysteria and witch-hunting is no longer limited to paedophilia or even allegations of SEXUAL assault against adults. Nowadays anything goes - as long as the alleged criminal can be depicted as a member of the Ruling Class. Then the mob can feel virtuous and claim they are standing up for the powerless!

Kilbarry

The Guardian View

From the UK Guardian
Partner at private equity firm denies being jogger who pushed woman into bus
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/11/partner-at-private-equity-firm-denies-being-jogger-who-pushed-woman-into-bus

........Prof Craig Jackson, the head of psychology at Birmingham City University, told Good Morning Britain: “I think what we’re looking at here is an embodiment of what we often see as ‘cis privilege’, or you might want to call it white male privilege.

“This is clearly an individual who, upon seeing someone in his path, veers towards them and not only does he barrel them over, but he continues to run down the road without even looking back to make sure they’re OK.

“That to me is quite horrifying behaviour and I think what we’re looking at here is the pedestrian equivalent of road rage. It’s very, very worrying ... it could have been murder or manslaughter.”

That was the end of the Guardian article and could be seen as a summing up. They reported that the "partner at private equity firm" said he was in the USA at the time and could prove it. If they reality wanted to quote some pop psychology, then something about 'The Mentality of the Mob' would have been more suitable.

silverharp

the police are fkn idiots though, essentially they had someone ring in and say this guy I know looks like the guy in the blurry images I saw on TV briefly, his name should never have been released

Betson

the police are fkn idiots though, essentially they had someone ring in and say this guy I know looks like the guy in the blurry images I saw on TV briefly, his name should never have been released
Yes very poor by the police , and the media could not wait to jump on it either publishing where he worked , lived , pictures of him etc etc, they so badly wanted it to be him they printed as if they were 100% sure it was him despite his denials from the start.

petaljam

Yes very poor by the police , and the media could not wait to jump on it either publishing where he worked , lived , pictures of him etc etc, they so badly wanted it to be him they printed as if they were 100% sure it was him despite his denials from the start.
Agreed that it's very poor form to release names and photos before charges have been brought, but the alt right conspiracy "it's the leftwing media" is just more paranoia. Or don't all the misidentifications of suspected Islamic terrorists count somehow?

The simple truth is that the media are desperate to be first to print names and identities. It's not because he's a white man. :roll:

Betson

Agreed that it's very poor form to release names and photos before charges have been brought, but the alt right conspiracy "it's the leftwing media" is just more paranoia. Or don't all the misidentifications of suspected Islamic terrorists count somehow?

The simple truth is that the media are desperate to be first to print names and identities. It's not because he's a white man. :roll:
Alt right ? What the hell has that got to do with this?

His profile was straight out of central casting for the modern day villain.

petaljam

silverharp

jaysus, that some conflation, it was more the wealthy banker bit probably, saw a comment at the time saying "he worked for Lehmans well hes guilty of something"

petaljam

jaysus, that some conflation, it was more the wealthy banker bit probably, saw a comment at the time saying "he worked for Lehmans well hes guilty of something"
I've no idea what your point is here. The media regularly misidentify suspects, or make suspects' identities public long before it's clear the police have the right person.

Personally, I'd feel less at risk of this sort of victimization if I were a rich white banker than a dark-skinned random person. And somehow, somebody quoting stupid (alleged) anonymous comments about Lehman's doesnt really change that feeling.

Maybe you've got statistics to show that I've got the balance of risks entirely wrong and that wealthy white bankers are indeed the most frequent victims of mistreatment from the police and the media. But I don't think so.

fat finger

OK, it looks like things are going to have to be spelled out big time here. The photos of the incident were only released to the public three months after the incident. A guy who is innocent has been widely publicised as the culprit. The UK press is going to incredible lengths to hide the real likely culprit is a very well known TV personality, what the hell is going on here?? Read between the lines on this one, folks

silverharp

Maybe you've got statistics to show that I've got the balance of risks entirely wrong and that wealthy white bankers are indeed the most frequent victims of mistreatment from the police and the media. But I don't think so.
you have it backwards, if the guy was black the media would have given it less attention, it was just the extra enjoyment of hoping to watch the implosion of a city banker that had the media interest, more click bait than a mentally ill black man

silverharp

OK, it looks like things are going to have to be spelled out big time here. The photos of the incident were only released to the public three months after the incident. A guy who is innocent has been widely publicised as the culprit. The UK press is going to incredible lengths to hide the real likely culprit is a very well known TV personality, what the hell is going on here?? Read between the lines on this one, folks
where did you hear that?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies