• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Banned Star Trek clip on Irish reunification

Wakeupcall

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8thJJDLang&feature=related]YouTube - Banned Star Trek clip on Irish reunification[/ame]

What do you think was the message here??

Herodotus

Never knew it was banned. I used to laugh at that particular episode as a child 10 years ago.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Does it have naughty swearwords in it ?

Cos if it does we're not meant to watch it on p.ie, rather instead directly on YouTube :-(

cYp

vid

At the time RTE would not broadcast the episode at all and Sky broadcast it minus the clip.

Ah Well

Does it have naughty swearwords in it ?

Cos if it does we're not meant to watch it on p.ie, rather instead directly on YouTube :-(

cYp
******************** off you ******************************g ********************er you

and ******************** you for ever

oops ......
;)

PS .... the Swear thingy is working admirably!!!!!!!!

mothball

At the time RTE would not broadcast the episode at all and Sky broadcast it minus the clip.
Imagine people even contemplating Irish unification in a fictional programme. The Irish government won’t have any of that malarkey.

vid

I think RTE argued that the programme was "too sympathic towards terrorism".Just go to show how silly things were in the Section 31 days.

mothball

Come to think of it, I don’t remember RTE ever showing Star Trek at all. I remember it being on BBC, but not any Irish station.

vid

It was on RTE 1 Saturday evening and later Tuesday or Wednesday night at 8.

The Caped Cod

Ro-sistonce is fu-tile heh. The borg hov bon takin this route to Alpha Centuri sonce 1690 an we will not jump te hyperspace to get there.

seabhcan

"...but if that is so Captain, why are their methods so often successful? I have been reviewing the history of armed rebellion, and it appears that terrorism is an effective way to promote political change"
"Yes, it can be. But I have never subscribed to the idea that political power flows from the barrel of a gun."
"Yet there are numerous examples when it was successful: the independence of the Mexican state from Spain, the Irish Unification of 2024, and the Kenzie Rebellion."
"Yes, I am aware of them"
"Then would it be accurate to say that terrorism is acceptable, when all options for peaceful settlement have been foreclosed?"
"Data, these are questions that Mankind has been struggling with throughout history. Your confusion is...only human."
I wonder would the American networks have shown such a conversation if it was filmed post-9/11

Also interesting that Data didn't give the example of the American Colonists who faught an unconventional war against the British...

Last edited:

The OD

I've seen that episode on Sky 1 a few years back, as far as I remember, it was only the BBC that banned it and only at the behest of the Unionists, who, at the time of its initial broadcast, were propping up John Majors ailing government.

liamfoley

Eeeeeeh, who says it was banned? Do we know for sure it was banned? Does it matter?

cactusflower

Anyone know is there any truth in the assertion that terrorism worked for Mexico and whereever else?

I've always struggled to find any examples of a popular revolution/national liberation succeeding through terrorism.

SamVimesBoots

I've always struggled to find any examples of a popular revolution/national liberation succeeding through terrorism.
Depends on your definition of "terrorism" I suppose. Frequently "terrorism" gets thrown around at any rebel group regardless of their actual tactics.

For my money a "terrorist" group is one that concentrates almost exclusively on acts of intimidation against the enemy civilian population and assassination of opposing political figures, with very little if any actual targetting of enemy military personnel.

By that definition most actual "terrorist" groups in history are actually pro-status-quo counter-revolutionary gangs!

seabhcan

Terrorism generally works if it is focused towards the military or political targets and provokes an irrational and violent response that repulses the host population and the public that sent the military force.

Irish terrorism worked in 1921 partly because the British public was discusted by the conduct of their military here and they put pressure on the British government for a settlement.

Throughout history, terrorism that focuses on Civilian targets is generally false flag terrorism.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies