Banning polls in last week

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
In the 1997 election, Labour party politicians complained about the publication of opinion-polls, and suggested banning them in the last week of a campaign. Recently we have seen the "leaking" of polls by FG and possibly others, usually without data that would allow us to confirm the veracity of such 'polls'. For example, we are usually not being told e.g. FG Wexford, Laois-Offaly, Dublin SW polls, the sample-size, the margin of error, and how proportional the results were regarding male/female, age-profile and concentration of voters in parts of the constituency. In that context, I believe that there is a risk of voters being misled. In that context I propose the following restrictions on the publication of polling-data:

A: No polls published in the last week of campaign.
B: Polls can only be published if with information confirming the scientificity of the poll i.e. sample-size, margin-of-error, when the poll was conducted, representative of social-profile of constituency.
C: Info on who carried out the poll.

Agreed?

ailish

Website
www.ucc.ie
FutureTaoiseach said:
In the 1997 election, Labour party politicians complained about the publication of opinion-polls, and suggested banning them in the last week of a campaign. Recently we have seen the "leaking" of polls by FG and possibly others, usually without data that would allow us to confirm the veracity of such 'polls'. For example, we are usually not being told e.g. FG Wexford, Laois-Offaly, Dublin SW polls, the sample-size, the margin of error, and how proportional the results were regarding male/female, age-profile and concentration of voters in parts of the constituency. In that context, I believe that there is a risk of voters being misled. In that context I propose the following restrictions on the publication of polling-data:

B: Polls can only be published if with information confirming the scientificity of the poll i.e. sample-size, margin-of-error, when the poll was conducted, representative of social-profile of constituency.

Agreed?
Not a bad recommendation

michael1965

FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?
Personally, I think it would be better to educate people how to interpret opinion polls (and statistics in general) better. All school kids should be taught this kind of thing. And people would know to just ignore polls that don't include the parameters you mention above.

The difficulty with banning polls, is first how to define them, in such a way that you don't infringe on fairly basic rights, like freedom of speech.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
michael1965 said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?
Personally, I think it would be better to educate people how to interpret opinion polls (and statistics in general) better. All school kids should be taught this kind of thing. And people would know to just ignore polls that don't include the parameters you mention above.

The difficulty with banning polls, is first how to define them, in such a way that you don't infringe on fairly basic rights, like freedom of speech.
Even liberal Western societies tend to have some limits on freedom of speech e.g. libel. I would contend that that portraying fake data as fact contravenes freedom of speech in certain cases, and would include unverified poll-data in that categorisation.

Wolverine

For once we are in agreement.

Does anyone else think that polls are overused? Political discussion in this country now centres so much around who will get in, not what they will do when they become elected.

kerrynorth

FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?
They tried this prior to the last election but the legislation collapsed when it was pointed out in the Senate that the proposed legislation did not prevent polls being published on the day of the election!

FutureTaoiseach

Website
kerrynorth said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?
They tried this prior to the last election but the legislation collapsed when it was pointed out in the Senate that the proposed legislation did not prevent polls being published on the day of the election!
Hardly an insurmountable obstacle.

michael1965

FutureTaoiseach said:
Even liberal Western societies tend to have some limits on freedom of speech e.g. libel. I would contend that that portraying fake data as fact contravenes freedom of speech in certain cases, and would include unverified poll-data in that categorisation.
Fake data is one thing, but it's much more likely to be just unrepresentative and misleading.

I'd prefer to depend on responsible media to exercise caution. There is a case to be made for not having polls in the last few days. I think a week is too long though.

Do you have any examples of such fake data being used?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
michael1965 said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Fake data is one thing, but it's much more likely to be just unrepresentative and misleading.

I'd prefer to depend on responsible media to exercise caution. There is a case to be made for not having polls in the last few days. I think a week is too long though.

We can't know for sure, but the greatest suspected culprits have to be political-parties who have an interest in playing up their candidates' level of support. It's very hard to prove this for sure but there should nonetheless be safeguards to avoid the public being misled.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?
So you are going to have censorship cos the voters might be stupid & fall for propaganda ?

cYp

meriwether

Im in favour of banning opinion polls for the week in question- if only to keep FutureTaoiseach quiet for one week on this site.
Also, your second and third proposals are unenforcable. As Michael1965 said, its better to be aware that some polls are skewed, rather than banning said polling. If the Irish Independent wants to run a poll with a sample size of 112, and a margain of error of 25%, let em.
Also, how do you legislate to stop the banning of 'leaked polls'? Perhaps Journalists just shouldnt publish them. And also, its not just FG who do it (I noted you said "and others" but I dont think you really meant it).
So, proposal 1 has merit, proposals 2 + 3 are just legislating for the sake of legislating.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
cyberianpan said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?
So you are going to have censorship cos the voters might be stupid & fall for propaganda ?

cYp
You don't have to be stupid to be misled.

meriwether

michael1965 said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Also, sometimes polls can just be wrong. Sometimes shit happens. And polls may be correct at the time, but prove to be incorrect regarding the outcome. Its neither unrepresentative, misleading nor false.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
The French have a ban on polls in the last week for example. It has been shown it can be done and be practicable.

jady88

FutureTaoiseach said:
cyberianpan said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?

cYp
true look at all those poor labour youth supporters...

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
FutureTaoiseach said:
cyberianpan said:
FutureTaoiseach said:

Agreed?

cYp
It helps...

Maybe you should ban all statements by everybody (except the candidates) about everything for say the week leading up to the election ?

cYp

FutureTaoiseach

Website
KingKane said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
The French have a ban on polls in the last week for example. It has been shown it can be done and be practicable.
you are aware that France is ...well, you know...another country. With a completely different legal system.
That is not pertinant to the question of polling which is arguably a moral question that people should have a period of reflection based on policies and events in the last few days without being distracted by titillation of possibly flawed opinion-polls.

michael1965

FutureTaoiseach said:
KingKane said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
you are aware that France is ...well, you know...another country. With a completely different legal system.
That is not pertinant to the question of polling which is arguably a moral question that people should have a period of reflection based on policies and events in the last few days without being distracted by titillation of possibly flawed opinion-polls.
I'm not convinced. Polls have arguably a big effect in countries like UK and France, where their election systems are not as sophisticated as ours 8) There is little need for tactical voting here, due to STV. In the UK for example, it can make a big difference to know, as close as possible before polling day, whether your candidate has half a chance, or whether he's a no-hoper and you're better off voting tactically, to achieve some other aim.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
michael1965 said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
KingKane said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
I'm not convinced. Polls have arguably a big effect in countries like UK and France, where their election systems are not as sophisticated as ours 8) There is little need for tactical voting here, due to STV. In the UK for example, it can make a big difference to know, as close as possible before polling day, whether your candidate has half a chance, or whether he's a no-hoper and you're better off voting tactically, to achieve some other aim.
But that's the problem. The polls can mislead as to who is and is not a no-hoper. I don't think people should be misled so close to an election.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies