Barak Obama dissed at Town Hall

punchdrunk

"Dissed"? What the hell kind of description is that of the encounter? From what I can see it's a simple case of someone speaking truth to power. The lady also communicates like a grown up, which makes a novel change in American political discourse these days. But none of it is even in the ballpark of "dissing".

To see some actual dissing of POTUS, just consider what's been going on with his name recently.

First, why dosn't Sarah Palin show a little bit of common goddam respect and courtesy and stop calling him "Obama" all the time. That is simply not the done thing - at the very least the man is the head of state - and it again proves her tin ear and questionable values. Not much evidence of Ms. Palin's oft-touted small-town humility or old-fashioned manners, is there? Just contempt and vulgarity.

And second, the other group dissing Obama - in a neat symmetry with Ms. Palin - are those who insist on lengthening his name rather than shortening it: Barrack Hussein Obama. And I'll bet you'll never hear someone saying it without the middle name being spat out in an enunciated and elongation serpent's hiss: "Hooo-sssssayn". I don't know how they can even bring themselves to say it without instantly feeling dirty. It's bloody shameful.
Obama/Dems deficit for 2010 will be 1.3 TRILLION dollars. They have gone on a public expenditure rampage. Sadly the teleprompter man is an unmitigated disaster.

punchdrunk

i wonder what we would be saying about the economy now if the conservative right in america voted for Mc Cain and Palin.

let's remember, that was the republican alternative.

a muppet and a puppet.
At present we have a left wing loon who is accompanied by a buffoon called "gaffe a day Biden". The result is a 1.3 Trillion Dollar deficit for 2010. No alternative could be worse than that.

owedtojoy

At present we have a left wing loon who is accompanied by a buffoon called "gaffe a day Biden". The result is a 1.3 Trillion Dollar deficit for 2010. No alternative could be worse than that.
I suppose you are one of the ones who agreed with Dick Cheney's declaration "Deficits don't matter!" in the Bush years. How many Republicans are on record against the bills he ran up? How many voted for the unfunded Mecidaid expansion?? How many voted for war in Iraq (and Dems too!) and would not raise taxes to pay for it?

Deficit hawks , or deficit peacocks strutting their stuff?? Angry because the wrong President was left to clean up your mess???

Ó Donnchadha

There was a very interesting poll on CBS last week. It's worth quoting the conclusions at a bit of length:

Poll: Obama Approval Rating Mixed, but Most See No Economic Progress - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Several stats there, but for me it is the final sentence that tells us most about Obama's prospects. As long as people don't blame Obama, then the rest of the numbers can be seen as expressions of generalised gloom rather than a specific indictment of POTUS.

Also, I can't believe several serious posters in this thread honestly think that a President can turn around the kind of catastrophe left to Obama in 18 months. I mean, come on. It is populist nonsense to suggest a politician, even a US President, can fix such a vast and complex economy so quickly. When he said during the campaign that it would take time to fix the economy, are we really to believe that most reasonable people would have placed an 18 month time limit on that? That's just ridiculous.

Notwithstanding his current problems, I think his prospects for re-election in 2 and a half years are very good. It takes a lot to kick out an incumbent President and I doubt all those who voted for him will not be prepared to give him the full run at the thing.
I would recommend Rasmussen Polling, they haved a much better track record, and are considered more valid, then CBS/NYTimes which are both in the Tank for Obama.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/

hiding behind a poster

Wonder did Dubya do many Town Hall meetings when he was President?

hiding behind a poster

Obama/Dems deficit for 2010 will be 1.3 TRILLION dollars. They have gone on a public expenditure rampage. Sadly the teleprompter man is an unmitigated disaster.
You seem to be forgetting that Obama was elected on a platform of substantially increasing the deficit in order to kick the economy back into life. You can't exactly howl with outrage when, having been elected, he substantially increases the deficit and the economy starts to grow.

Cassandra Syndrome

You seem to be forgetting that Obama was elected on a platform of substantially increasing the deficit in order to kick the economy back into life. You can't exactly howl with outrage when, having been elected, he substantially increases the deficit and the economy starts to grow.
The economy is not growing. Take away all the money printing and massive borrowing by excessive government expenditure, the real economy has shrank further and unemployment has increased. The multiplier involved is 0.8.

Any clown can switch on printing presses, produce money than add it on to your GDP and go hey, the economy is growing!

Try telling that to the 1 in 6 on food stamps, the 1 in 7 in poverty, the 1 in 5 underemployed and all the record foreclosed victims.

Even that buffoon Roosevelt produced some form of positive results within his first year during the first Great Depression.

owedtojoy

rubensni

Rational thought has no place in American politics :(

Ó Donnchadha

Rational thought has no place in American politics :(
Obama was elected on some intangible, nebulous and esoteric (Hopey-Changey) thing.

It seems he is still stuck in a time warp, with the whole Keynesian economic thing. No country can spend themselves out of a recession. Cuts need to be made, fiscal responsibility needs to carry the day.

Businesses are sitting on over a Trillion dollars in Cash, because this President has caused such uncertainty.

If the economy is going to grow, then we need companies to reinvest their owners equity into creating jobs.

he needs to reinstate the Bush era tax cuts, even the Democrats are starting to call for it.

He needs to call in the heads of business, and reassure them, that he is not out to get them. We need a shared vision.

The Government takeover of Health care needs to be defunded, over 70% of Americans are unhappy with it.

owedtojoy

Good news for Democrats is that Larry Summers is stepping down as Obama's economic adviser.

Summers was another Clinton rethread - Obama appointed too many of them, and they were too fiscally conservative and tied to Wall Street. Summers had some responsibility for the collapse, having pushed deregulation in the Clinton years. He had no prespective on the difficulties faced by the middle class, who have seen salaries and quality of life consistently decline over the last 30 years. Meanwhile, the wealthy have enjoyed all sorts of perks and tax breaks.

It is clear that the Republican master plan is to empty the Treasury on wars, military spending and corporate subsidies. Meanwhile Medicare and Social Welfare will be pushed to the point of bankrupcy, no doubt with much hand-wringing over "the improvident poor". It is the only way to destroy these social programs without a vote, and avoiding the responsibility. No doubt Fox News will blame it on the Democrats, the poor and the unemployed when it happens.

The replacement for Summers will be an interesting choice. If Obama goes with "reassuring Wall Street" and a "safe pair of hands", he is only adding to his woes. He needs a few more appointments along the lines of Elizabeth Warren, who got the Consumer Protection job.

Last edited:

andrejsv

It is clear that the Republican master plan is to empty the Treasury on wars, military spending and corporate subsidies. Meanwhile Medicare and Social Welfare will be pushed to the point of bankrupcy, no doubt with much hand-wringing over "the improvident poor". It is the only way to destroy these social programs without a vote, and avoiding the responsibility.
What? Pres. Obama just gutted medicare by the tune of $400 billion, and seniors will have their benefits cut by about $3000-$5000/year.
Empty the Treasury? it is empty, it is called national debt or a huge IOU. And Pres. Obama has just balooned the national debt in only 18 months.

There was this fallacy before the 2008 election that Obama 'would be good for business' (it wasnt) and now there is a fallacy that Obama's policies 'help the poor'. In my opinion this administration policies are hitting the lower income level and mid income families the hardest, specially with the health care premiums going up by 20% and taxes increasing at all levels in january 2011 when the Bush taxcuts expire.

Sync

Eloquent woman questions actions of eloquent man. News at 11. Good piece, shows that civil discourse mightn't be dead in the country.

Ó Donnchadha

what would that mean for the deficit that you're so worried about?
Tax cuts usually result in more spending. If I have more money in my check at the end of the week, I am more apt to by THINGS.

If a company is making more money, they are apt to reinvest, grow and hire additional labor.

Green eyed monster

Tax cuts usually result in more spending. If I have more money in my check at the end of the week, I am more apt to by THINGS.

If a company is making more money, they are apt to reinvest, grow and hire additional labor.
He should increase the taxes and give it to the needy, they will most certainly 'spend' a higher proportion of it than the rich (a class of rich including Gordon Gecko type money manipulators who do not (and probably don't know how) create any industry).

The rich have been too spoiled in America for far too long, the rich have seen their wealth increase greatly over this 'recession' while millions move into tent cities... balance needs to be restored if that nation is to become great again. Just having a number of billionaires at the top of a Forbes list does not a successful society make... even India can boast of that, or Mexico.

It is clear that the Republican master plan is to empty the Treasury on wars, military spending and corporate subsidies. Meanwhile Medicare and Social Welfare will be pushed to the point of bankrupcy, no doubt with much hand-wringing over "the improvident poor". It is the only way to destroy these social programs without a vote, and avoiding the responsibility.
Exactly. Plan all along. The Bush regime raped the US coffers with these tax breaks for his pals (there are some similiarities with our own situation) and their wars. Then afterwards they employ an army of spin doctors and admen to tell Americans it is the fault of the guy on a minimum wage or who just lost his job and is on welfare, or worse comes to worse - immigrants... . Even George Buffet has openly admitted that this is class warfare open and direct and he added that his class 'is winning'... He also drew attention to the irony that as a hedge fund manager he pays a lower rate of tax than his secretary.

Ó Donnchadha

He should increase the taxes and give it to the needy, they will most certainly 'spend' a higher proportion of it than the rich (a class of rich including Gordon Gecko type money manipulators who do not (and probably don't know how) create any industry).

The rich have been too spoiled in America for far too long, the rich have seen their wealth increase greatly over this 'recession' while millions move into tent cities... balance needs to be restored if that nation is to become great again. Just having a number of billionaires at the top of a Forbes list does not a successful society make... even India can boast of that, or Mexico.

Exactly. Plan all along. The Bush regime raped the US coffers with these tax breaks for his pals (there are some similiarities with our own situation) and their wars. Then afterwards they employ an army of spin doctors and admen to tell Americans it is the fault of the guy on a minimum wage or who just lost his job and is on welfare, or worse comes to worse - immigrants... . Even George Buffet has openly admitted that this is class warfare open and direct and he added that his class 'is winning'... He also drew attention to the irony that as a hedge fund manager he pays a lower rate of tax than his secretary.

Why are you envious of the Rich ? if a person works hard, and makes a decent living, should he or she have to give it to you ?

Most people of wealth work long arduous hours, they don't sit at home on the dole.

I think you mean Warren Buffett.

Wealthy citizens in the US give plenty of money to charity.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg just "friended" the entire Newark Public School System.

According to the New York Times, Zuckerberg has agreed to donate $100 million to improve the long-troubled school system.
Bill gates has given away a huge portion of his wealth, he has created thousands of welll paid jobs. Warren Buffett has also given away a fortune.

Don't be envious off what others have.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies