Barbara Bush wife of former President George H W Bush has died

USER1234

Former First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at 92

Barbara Bush, the beloved wife and mother of two former presidents, died at the age of 92 on Tuesday.

The former First Lady and former President George H.W. Bush had the longest-lasting marriage in presidential history – 73 years. As the Bush family matriarch, Barbara Bush dropped out of college to follow her childhood sweetheart – and kept following as he went from the House of Representatives to the United Nations, the Central Intelligence Agency, the office of Vice President and, finally, the White House.

Her son George W. Bush became the 43rd President of the United States, while another son, Jeb Bush, served as governor of Florida and unsuccessfully sought the presidency in 2016. In total, she had 6 children and 14 grandchildren.

After a series of hospitalizations, a family spokesperson announced on April 15 that the former First Lady would no longer seek medical treatment. Instead, the statement read, she would focus on “comfort care.”

Despite her failing health, members of the Bush family have said she leaned into her fighting spirit in her final days. “She’s a fighter; she’s an enforcer,” her granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager said on NBC’s Today show.

Full Story: Time - Former First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at 92

May she rest in peace

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
She was from a very different political era

Herself and husband were exceptionally well mannered

Cyp

USER1234

Cyp
Indeed i didn't like G.W. as president (if i was american i'd be a democrat) but i could kinda respect him unlike the republican presidents who came after him and his wife was the best bush of the lot!

Betson

Cyp
I assume that is a dig at the Clinton's , who I agree are a detestable bunch in comparsion to the Bush's.

Her husband can't be too far off joining in her , he is a very big age as well and he was looking very shook when I saw him on TV a few months ago.

Betson

CNN not wasting much time in turning their tribute into another Trump bashing segment , they reckon she would not have liked the Donald.

Of course she would not , the Bush's are the very embodiment(along with the Clinton's) of the establishment. They would hate to see an outsider as president.

SuirView

Respect is the best theme.
R.I.P.

NYCKY

RIP

I just saw the other day how she had turned to comfort rather than prolonging life treatment. I figured she didn't have long but thought it would be more than a few days.

She wasn't perfect but I thought one of the classiest first ladies we had in a long time.

The US Presidents and their wives are all living into their 90s these days, good genes and good medical care too.

GDPR

Remember when she called Anita Hill a liar for saying Thomas sexually assaulted her, and said Clarence Thomas was a great man who was having his reputation tarnished?

Or when she said of the Hurricane Katrina refugees "So many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

She was the Peoples Princess, alright. :)

NYCKY

CNN not wasting much time in turning their tribute into another Trump bashing segment , they reckon she would not have liked the Donald.

Of course she would not , the Bush's are the very embodiment(along with the Clinton's) of the establishment. They would hate to see an outsider as president.
Apparently both of them voted for Hillary, wife of the man who defeated GHW.

Not sure about the first ladies but the former Presidents tend to become close buddies. It's a small and fairly elite club.

Betson

Apparently both of them voted for Hillary, wife of the man who defeated GHW.

Not sure about the first ladies but the former Presidents tend to become close buddies. It's a small and fairly elite club.
Do you think the Donald will be hanging around with the other ex presidents when he leaves in 2024?

I suspect he probably will , politicians often play up the animosity they have for assonants. A lot of the time it is just they game they play.

I can see Bill , Barry etc and Trump Golfing away together in to their twilight years.

D

Deleted member 48908

Ah man....Big Tom, Brendan Grace and Barbara Bush all in the one day.

RIP

NYCKY

Do you think the Donald will be hanging around with the other ex presidents when he leaves in 2024?

I suspect he probably will , politicians often play up the animosity they have for assonants. A lot of the time it is just they game they play.

I can see Bill , Barry etc and Trump Golfing away together in to their twilight years.
leaves office in 2024... I see what you did there :D

You have to remember that even if Trump leaves office in 2024, he will be in his late 70s, exactly the same age as Clinton and GW Bush (they were all born within a few months of each other in 1946) but the other two had 8 years of stressful Presidencies, much healthier and at much younger ages.

All the recent Presidents called their predecessors regularly to discuss certain issues, world leaders Obama did that a bit less that some but Trump given his bashing of all his predecessors, doubt he does that too much. That may change though. They tend to realize that the job is tough enough.

That said, Barbara and Nancy Reagan were never friendly, frosty would be putting it mildly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies