• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Barbarism or Justice ?

Cruimh

Utah firing squad executes US killer Ronnie Lee Gardner

How and why Gardner was shot

Doesn't seem any doubt about the man's guilt.

So some issues

1) the Death penalty - yes or no ? Not in favour myself.

2) Firing Squad - an acceptable method ? I'd sooner have this than gas, injection, electric chair or hanging.

3) Length of time between sentence and execution. Is it not barbaric to have this man end up in effect both serving a life sentence and then be executed ?

4) The state got the worst of both worlds - 25 years of looking after him plus all the expense of dealing with all the legal appeals.

The Caped Cod

1)Personaly I'm againstthe death penalty.
2) If I were the prisoner then I would prefer firing squad to any of the other methods. Gardner is rumoured to have said he chose this method because "If I gotta die, then someone's gonna have to clean up the mess".
3) Perhaps it could be argued that a long wait imposes a double sentence but there are two points to consider. One the time to mount an appeal, for the reversal of the verdict or for clemancy, the other is that if the person is guilty then perhaps the wait is a justified punishment, to thin kabout their crimes with the prospect of their own death in front of them.
4)25 years on death row is an exaggeration. He also had to be kept in isolation as he was extremely violent. I can't see who benefited from it, not even Gardner

Interista

2) Firing Squad - an acceptable method ? I'd sooner have this than gas, injection, electric chair or hanging.

3) Length of time between sentence and execution. Is it not barbaric to have this man end up in effect both serving a life sentence and then be executed ?

4) The state got the worst of both worlds - 25 years of looking after him plus all the expense of dealing with all the legal appeals.
Agree with pretty much everything you say. The length of time and the amount of money spent on multiple appeals makes a mockery of the idea that the death sentence is cheaper than lifelong incarceration.

Destiny's Soldier

And people say the US is a civilised country. Of course it is. Only to a point. This sick, and twisted mindset of a State which treats human life with such disrespect is abhorrent.

Although one's natural instinct would be to kill the person who perpetrated such a crime, it is self destroying to bring yourself to that level.

Although, killing by firing squad is actually an honest way of killing someone. Because death is death whether it be by lethal injection or beheading. It is always ugly.

The US is very much like Saudi Arabia in many ways.

edor

This guy chose the firing squad, only available in Utah and not since a number of years ago. Given he has been incarcerated so long, he was in jail and chose this execution method before the stop was put on it.

Interista

Well, that's a huge exaggeration but I see your point. Portadown might be a bit more like it!

What I do think is that America is very different from just about every other Western nation, including Canada. Its use of the death penalty, uniquely (if I'm not mistaken) among Western nations, is just one illustration of this.

Sync

In favour in theory, against it in practice. There isn't a country on earth that applies it fairly. The disproportionate number of minorities who get executed, the relentless procession of faulty/manufactured evidence etc etc. If we lived in a world where you were absolutely promised a fair trial, and all the judgements were 100% accurate, I'd have no issue with courts giving out the death penalty. We don't so I do.

God yes. By far the most humane way of doing it. It's certainly what I'd request.

Nah. You've got to give him multiple tries at getting off in court. That takes time. I'd rather it took a long time and he was fully represented than he gets executed 2 days after the first trial.

So kill him early and charge the family for the bullets?

Risteard

In fairness to Saudi Arabia, at least they have the honesty to do it in public instead of hiding it behind locked doors.

Risteard

Cruimh's location should be corrected as there is no such place in Ireland.

SevenStars

In fairness to Saudi Arabia, at least they have the honesty to do it in public instead of hiding it behind locked doors.
The Brits do it in public aswell.

Risteard

TheMushyStuff

This is one issue I sort of go on the other side.
I am for the Death Penalty but only in very extreme cases.
Were the person (or people) have committed mass murder.
There are people who committed genocide, do we really to send such people to jail and wait till die eventually.
Firing Squad is more Humane than any of the others.

Yeah I thought that was inhumane that you give him a life sentence and than later execute him at a given time. 25 years later, let him out.
We don't need to give people a life sentence.

darkhorse

This is one issue I sort of go on the other side.
I am for the Death Penalty but only in very extreme cases.
Were the person (or people) have committed mass murder.
There are people who committed genocide, do we really to send such people to jail and wait till die eventually.
Firing Squad is more Humane than any of the others.

Yeah I thought that was inhumane that you give him a life sentence and than later execute him at a given time. 25 years later, let him out.
We don't need to give people a life sentence.
Hey mushstuff,
can I ask if you favour the death sentence for muslims who quit the faith?
Please answer yes or no.

TheMushyStuff

Hey mushstuff,
can I ask if you favour the death sentence for muslims who quit the faith?
Please answer yes or no.
No death penalty. I know what the traditions say, but people misunderstand the Islamic History. In those time there was an Islamic state, so if you left Islam you became a traitor to Islamic State, there was no separation of religion and state.

darkhorse

No death penalty. I know what the traditions say, but people misunderstand the Islamic History. In those time there was an Islamic state, so if you left Islam you became a traitor to Islamic State, there was no separation of religion and state.
you are such a nice guy :eek:

Odyessus

In favour in theory, against it in practice. There isn't a country on earth that applies it fairly. The disproportionate number of minorities who get executed, the relentless procession of faulty/manufactured evidence etc etc. If we lived in a world where you were absolutely promised a fair trial, and all the judgements were 100% accurate, I'd have no issue with courts giving out the death penalty. We don't so I do.

God yes. By far the most humane way of doing it. It's certainly what I'd request.

Nah. You've got to give him multiple tries at getting off in court. That takes time. I'd rather it took a long time and he was fully represented than he gets executed 2 days after the first trial.

So kill him early and charge the family for the bullets?
The disproportionate number of minorities who get executed.....

A commonly repeated fallacy. In fact white men convicted of murder in the U.S. are far more likely to be executed than black men or other minorities convicted of murder.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies