• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Barring People from pubs can be traumatic and embarrassing + can cause mental problems : UCD Sociologist

YesSireeeBob

Barring People from pubs can be traumatic and embarrassing + can cause mental problems : UCD Sociologist

I don't think publicans bar people for the fun of it esp the way business is going.

Anyone who gets barred from a pub must have done something serious and if they were barred for something minor, I'm sure if they talked to the publican they would be let back in.

I wonder how much this sociologist is getting per year?

Pub barrings can be traumatic and embarrassing | Irish Examiner

I am a sociologist interested in issues of inclusion and exclusion in Irish society and the management of spoilt identity.

I am interested in hearing of the circumstances under which people have been barred from public houses in this country and the consequences thereof.

Being barred, especially from a favourite pub, can be a deeply disturbing, traumatic and embarrassing event for a person. It can often happen as a consequence of vulnerability, challenge or threat that is being experienced by a person in their life or other chronic underlying factors.

Publicans are not sufficiently sensitive or knowledgeable to enable them to understand such matters so that even one minor event, often arising from a miscommunication, may be sufficient to incur summary debarment.

These events in most cases are so minor as to not even warrant the attention of the gardaí, and yet a person may end up being barred effectively for life.

This is grossly unjust and degrading and can pose serious long-term mental health problems for the person concerned.
All matters that are serious enough to go before the bench have at least a time limit imposed by which time the offence can be discharged. Not so in the case of a pub debarment which is always at the whim of the bar owner or manager.

I am asking people who feel they have suffered unfairly as a result of this arbitrary and unregulated form of punishment to contact me with their stories.

My intention is to examine as many case studies as I receive to produce an account of this phenomenon in contemporary Ireland so as propose a number of recommendations whereby, through a process of mediation, offending parties and pub owners may be reconciled and rehabilitation of the original offence can occur.

Dr Paul A Stokes
School of Sociology
University College Dublin

Tea Shark

Mackers

Sure isn't that what I was trying to tell that bouncer at the boozer last week. :)

southwestkerry

eeeemmmmm do they [UCD] not have something better to look in to.
SWK
I am all for pubs maintaining law and order by keeping out people they do not want.

Mackers

I recall some University in England did a whole study that cost a fortune into what was best milk in the cup before the tea, or the tea first and then the milk?:confused:

Sync

I feel my taxes are being well spent on this valuable research. Next project: how hurt do feelings get when you arrive at McDonald's at 12.30 and you can't order breakfast?

amsterdemmetje

In my experience of running pubs barring some one was a last resort, mostly for violent conduct or just plain stupid been a gobshyte to other punters. Not once have I ever let anybody back into a pub which I barred them out of. A scumbag will always be a scumbag and given them a second chance wont change that.

Round tower

Who are ya calling a knackor?
In my local town there is a setled travelor who comes the 8 miles from where he lives, he will have his 8 or 9 pints, he will have the craic with everyone, he causes no trouble, and gets served no problem, now often aat the end of the night when he is getting tipsy his voice will began to rise and he talks about been atinker. If itenerants behaved themselves and drank in one or twos they will be served in most pubs.

james5001

I feel my taxes are being well spent on this valuable research. Next project: how hurt do feelings get when you arrive at McDonald's at 12.30 and you can't order breakfast?
We don't pay academics to have opinions, you silly billy.

Didimus

Maybe he should get in touch with Mrs Winsdor - or perhaps have a chat with Mr John Stokes about his lack of sensitivity?

Máistir na Cruinne

I recall some University in England did a whole study that cost a fortune into what was best milk in the cup before the tea, or the tea first and then the milk?:confused:
Yes, but if they came up with the correct answer wouldn't it be fantastic?

Troy_337

Little_Korean

Judging by this man...

...badly, I'd say.

Last edited:

Tea Party Patriot

I don't think publicans bar people for the fun of it esp the way business is going.

Anyone who gets barred from a pub must have done something serious and if they were barred for something minor, I'm sure if they talked to the publican they would be let back in.

I wonder how much this sociologist is getting per year?

Pub barrings can be traumatic and embarrassing | Irish Examiner
I don't even know where to begin venting on this proposal, if I did I am sure I would get barred from sociology at UCD petunia

cabledude

The only way to make instant coffee is to put in coffee, sugar and milk. Give them a good stir and then slowly pour in the water. So maybe that particular study was not a waste of money. (Tongue firmly in cheek)