• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Barry Andrews- "Hey it wasn't my job"

Supermanpolitician

The Minister for Children, Barry Andrews, did not read the report on child sex abuse which was handed to him. He is the ministerfor children. How in God's name did he not think he should read it? He passed it on, as he was supposed to do, but without even reading it himself.

There are a lot of huff and puff calls for resignation here and there but surely this is a no brainer. The minister for children doesn't see reading one document as his job. I've met him a couple of times and he is a nice guy, and smart too. But if this is his attitude, something is wrong. Extraordinary!

Question R24U

What difference would it make whether he read it all or not, he would still have passed it to the HSE to implement? I feel this is another cowen 'i didn't read it cover to cover' being misspresented as 'i didn't read it'. I presume a redacted version is available: has the opening porter read it in order to justify his outrage?

Supermanpolitician

What difference would it make whether he read it all or not, he would still have passed it to the HSE to implement? I feel this is another cowen 'i didn't read it cover to cover' being misspresented as 'i didn't read it'. I presume a redacted version is available: has the opening porter read it in order to justify his outrage?
I am not the Minister for Children. Barry Andrews is. It is reasonable to expect him to read it. You are implying that because it goes to the HSE he should be exempt from reading it? And to clear things up, he didn't read a word of it.

Why should he read it? Because it is his effing job.

kerrynorth

I bet that Andrews did not 'eat the dinner', 'inhale' or 'have sexual relations with that woman' either.

ctr

With respect, the report is not public therefore is it kinda hard for the general public to read it.

The Minister of Children did not read a major report on what appears to be systemic maladministration wrt Child Protection in a body running the majority of schools in a large area, .

This will take some explaining to do.

ctr

Supermanpolitician

With respect, the report is not public therefore is it kinda hard for the general public to read it.

The Minister of Children did not read a major report on what appears to be systemic maladministration wrt Child Protection in a body running the majority of schools in a large area, .

This will take some explaining to do.

ctr
Completely agree. And it permeates the entire government, not just child protection.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
shows a serious lack of curiosity, im pretty sure barry andrews didn't read it at all.

it is a bit strange how no one is claiming to have commissioned it.

i think barry andrews should be fired as well as magee.

we need somebody to act rather then wait around to be forced to act.
thats where this whole problem started in the first place.

Supermanpolitician

shows a serious lack of curiosity, im pretty sure barry andrews didn't read it at all.
it is a bit strange how no one is claiming to have commissioned it.

i think barry andrews should be fired as well as magee.

we need somebody to act rather then wait around to be forced to act.
thats where this whole problem started in the first place.
He said that he did not read it.

Now if only we had a minister in charge of items like this....

Question R24U

He said that he did not read it.

He passed it to the HSE without reading it. He has obviously read it after he sent it.
Unless you can point to any difference a reversal of that timing of events would make-i'm afraid you are using the abuse of children to engage in political points scoring.
Pathetic.

Supermanpolitician

He passed it to the HSE without reading it. He has obviously read it after he sent it.
Unless you can point to any difference a reversal of that timing of events would make-i'm afraid you are using the abuse of children to engage in political points scoring.
Pathetic.
This is a sickening excuse. Even time a vulnerable group is let down, defenders of those who let them down will always point out criticism as political point scoring.

When we pointed out that the economony was going down the tubes, we were told that we were unpatriotic.
When we said that public private partnership was bad for the taxpayer, we were told that he were against health improvements. When we wanted better health, we were told that we were against the taxpayer. When we wanted more accountability for public expenditure, we were told that we were against unions.

Get over yourself and accept criticism when it is due.

Barry Andrews, the Minister for Children, did not read the report in child sex abuse. It was his job.

Have a go at me all you want, but for goodness sake, do you think Barry Andrews should be immune from criticism whn he is clearly wrong?

Bobert

Did Enda Kenny read it? Mary Harney? Brian Cowen? Dr. O'Reilly?

I assume they all did and we're just attacking Barry?

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
At the moment there are two Oireachtas Committees on the issues of consent and
protection- as far as it is from the Church view of the issue, which has ranged from
refusal to acknowledge the Criminal aspect of repeat sexual offence against children
to thinking it a sin and moving people around, there has to be a strategy for communication.
In my awareness this issue was supposed to be dealt with at the time of the
Indemnity Deal which saw the setting up of the Child Protection unit. The promise
of that unit was to liaise (sic) on every level with the services in dealing with
the problem. The fact that the work of the child protection unit was ignored
or subverted means that the work undertaken (very publically) by Dr Martin
has been radically undermined. I am no fan of the church in this issue; but
the reports are serious and the fact that they were ignored is serious for the very
people whom signed that deal in the first place. The Oireachtas Committee's work
has also been undermined by FG who sought to push the idea of a Referendum
before the Committee had finished the report. Our society can either decide
to deal with the issues or can hide away and facilitate abuse. One last point,
the Indemnity Deal, by all accounts did not go far enough; and was not even debated in the Dáil
- it preceeded the last but one G.E by nine days. The AG at the time was
left out of negotiations and his party member (Ms Harney) supported the Government on the issue.

It is not good enough that people make political capital out of spinning the issues
and will not act with maturity in approaching the issues. I do hope that the All
Party Committee on Protection will continue its business without obfuscation
and politicisation this time.

Bobert

Mary Harney is Minister for Health.

Cowen is Taoiseach.

Kenny is the leader of the opposition.

O'Reilly is the Fine Gael spokesperson for health.

Why didn't any of those read it?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

Cowen is Taoiseach.

it certainly wasn't available to the opposition was it?

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
Because..,

Depends to whom it is submitted and if they decide after reading it to publish it.
Usually this would come in the form of a link to the report in toto- however, if
there is a chance of criminal charges , then it would be forwarded to the DPP.

Is the report published or have bits of it been leaked to the media?

Welcome to the Department of Health and Children

Supermanpolitician

Cowen is Taoiseach.

It wasn't given to them. That is akin to asking my colleague why they did not do my job.

It was given to Barry Andrews. He is the Minister to whom it was given. He has responsibility for children. I think he should have read it. Surely it's common sense that the minister for children should read a report handed to him about child sex abuse?