Barry Andrews says no to Dublin South Switch - Sunday Times

drjimryan2

politicians who surround themselves with 'yes' men who tell them what they want to hear 'chemical ali' style - now thats a new thinking!.....

ONQ

It's been discussed hugely here on Politics.ie over the past two weeks especially that Barry Andrews was rumored to be moving fro Dun Laoghaire to Dublin South in the next General Election.

That may make sense for a few reasons. Dun Laoghaire is being reduced from five seats to four seats, and it's widely considered very unlikely that FF would hold two seats (Minister Mary Hanafin bring the other sitting FF TD). Given Tom Kitt is standing down (or is he?), it means Dublin South won't have a sitting TD contesting for a seat.

The candidates for Dun Laoghaire are:

Barry Andrews FF
Mary Hanafin FF
Eamon Gilmore Lab
Ivana Bacik Lab
Ciaran Cuffe Green
Richard Boyd Barrett - ULA

Politics.ie revealed that Bacik was to be Gilmore's running mate last week.

Andrews has told Stephen O'Brien and Justine McCarthy is today's Sunday Times that he'd not changing constituencies and will contest to keep his seat. Hanafin has also made it clear that she has no plans to switch constituency.

Does anyone think FF running two candidates in Dun Laoghaire might split the vote and cause neither to get elected?
(chuckle)

It would be a nice homecoming.

His grandfather Todd Andrews was nearly caught by the Black and Tans in the middle of Terenure one night around 1920 or so my father used tell me.

But of course we don't talk about having that kind of terrorist/freedom fighter heritage in the Andrews family these days .

Perhaps we should, it might increase his credibility.

He might get on Todd Andrew's other grandson's show - Ryan Tubridy's Tubridy Tonight.

Todd Andrews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ONQ.

=================================================
Get the Banks Lending Money again so as to enable the Recovery.

Tax the $14 Quadrillion Dollar Derivative Market to repay the Debt.
=================================================

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Would agree, but Hanafin more likely to hold the Dl seat than Andrews methinks... its his loss.
I would disagree: if any FFer has a chance it's Andrews.

He can always spin the story that, as part of the Todd Andrews dynasty, he's has never had anything to do with the events in the FF leadership since CJH got the gig. It has helped him before.

IMO even that tough old yarn will not wash without falling apart in the machine.

wombat

I would disagree: if any FFer has a chance it's Andrews.
Andrews has two things going for him - his name will count among the older FFers who supported his father and he's a very likeable guy - a characteristic not to be underestimated when looking for votes.

Toland

Website
Andrews has two things going for him - his name will count among the older FFers who supported his father and he's a very likeable guy - a characteristic not to be underestimated when looking for votes.
There is that too (though the word I would use is 'affable', after all, we're talking about a life-long member of Fianna Fáil here).

But I doubt even all of that will be enough.

If he doesn't poll better than Hanafin, though, I'll be astounded.

wombat

There is that too (though the word I would use is 'affable', after all, we're talking about a life-long member of Fianna Fáil here).
Most of my friends are/were FFers:lol:

Mushroom

Neutral

A bit of realism: Hanafin & Andrews came in first and second in the last election. Even a collapse down to fifth and sixth place in this election will allow the higher of the two get in on the transfers of the other.

This is especially so in light of the fact FG haven't selected their ticket there yet, and their loss of Sen. Eugene Regan as a candidate. Furthermore, Ivana Bacik running for Labour will ensure any pro-life supporters who might have been thinking of staying at home will turn out to vote for Hanafin.

Toland

Website
A bit of realism: Hanafin & Andrews came in first and second in the last election. Even a collapse down to fifth and sixth place in this election will allow the higher of the two get in on the transfers of the other.
You see, I don't think they'll transfer well to each other.

And if they collapse down to fifth and sixth place, they'll be doing better than I think they're going to.

MCS

Like all the TDs in the constituency, Andrews and Hanafin have been canvassing and working on constituent issues for many years. They would loose any benefit from that if they were to move to Dublin South.

The only time where it would have been remotely sensible to move was at the time of the boundary review, so they could at least keep the benefit of work they had done on the ground in Foxrock, as well as giving them enough time to establish themselves in their new constituency.

Letmein

It doesnt make any sense for Andrews to move to DS. DL was his familys home seat for generations and to lots of older FF supporters the words Andrews and FF were inter changable. If anyone should move it would be Hanafin but this close to the election I cant see that either. Am looking forward to the prospect of DL being a FF free zone. In the local elections in the DL Rathdowne CC they only managed one Cllr in the whole of the Constituency - Cormac Devlin and he was the last to be elected in the Dun Laoghaire ward.

Mar Tweedy

Another plus for Andrews in DL rather than DS is that he's an ex-Blackrock boy and more of the old school tie-mates would live in the blackrock out to dun laoghaire and environs area than the western side of DS from Dundrum out.

That old school network will pull him quite a few votes imo - ones that would be resistant to any anti-FF feeling.

FakeViking

Like all the TDs in the constituency, Andrews and Hanafin have been canvassing and working on constituent issues for many years. They would loose any benefit from that if they were to move to Dublin South.
You clearly don't live in the Borough.

Tomas Mor

It's been discussed hugely here on Politics.ie over the past two weeks especially that Barry Andrews was rumored to be moving fro Dun Laoghaire to Dublin South in the next General Election.

That may make sense for a few reasons. Dun Laoghaire is being reduced from five seats to four seats, and it's widely considered very unlikely that FF would hold two seats (Minister Mary Hanafin bring the other sitting FF TD). Given Tom Kitt is standing down (or is he?), it means Dublin South won't have a sitting TD contesting for a seat.

The candidates for Dun Laoghaire are:

Barry Andrews FF
Mary Hanafin FF
Eamon Gilmore Lab
Ivana Bacik Lab
Ciaran Cuffe Green
Richard Boyd Barrett - ULA

Politics.ie revealed that Bacik was to be Gilmore's running mate last week.

Andrews has told Stephen O'Brien and Justine McCarthy is today's Sunday Times that he'd not changing constituencies and will contest to keep his seat. Hanafin has also made it clear that she has no plans to switch constituency.

Does anyone think FF running two candidates in Dun Laoghaire might split the vote and cause neither to get elected?
Thought Sean Barrett TD is also running there-has he been wiped off the map ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom