Barrys tea bags are plastic

johnhan278

Irish times
Tue, May 22, 2018
Conor Pope

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/barry-s-tea-says-it-is-working-to-take-plastics-out-of-its-tea-bags-1.3504273

Many tea brands use a heat-resistant plastic sealant called polypropylene to help tea bags retain shape and while most consumers are unaware of the fact, the presence of such micro-plastics means tea bags are non-compostable.

''''

Barry’s Tea is looking at ways to remove plastics from its current range of teabags and make them compostable “as speedily as possible”.

The company confirmed that it had been carrying out trials with its filter paper supplier as a online petition calling on the Cork company to make more environmentally friendly products gathered momentum.

Many tea brands use a heat-resistant plastic sealant called polypropylene to help tea bags retain shape and while most consumers are unaware of the fact, the presence of such micro-plastics means tea bags are non-compostable.

Earlier this year Unilever - which owns Lyons Tea - announced plans to remove all plastic from its tea bags before the end of the year after more than 200,000 people signed an online petition in the UK.

The multinational said its tea bags will be made from a plant-based material that is 100 per cent renewable and biodegradable.

O ver 9,000 people have now signed a petition posted on the Uplift website by Lisa Quinn. It calls on Barry’s to follow suit in order to combat an escalating plastic waste crisis.

“I’ve been throwing my tea bags into the compost for years,” Ms Quinn said. “When I found out I was polluting our soil and our water with microplastics, I was really disappointed with Barry’s. I’m sick of big companies being so irresponsible, and expecting everyday people to pick up their slack.” she said .

“When I contacted Barry’s, they told me to cut open my tea bag, empty the leaves into the compost, then wash and dry the tea bag and put that in the recycling bin. It’s absurd!”
massive scandal , :mad:

link to the petition on uplift
https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/barry-s-tea-make-teabags-100-compostable

Last edited:

GDPR

Some places like Starbucks have teabags made of glittery plastic. I do not buy them because I never liked having my tea strained through plastic. How much of the plastic is being included in the drink?

Should be banned completely imho. Back to 100% paper teabags for all tea providers.

gerhard dengler

Contact lenses, permanent and disposable varieties, are all made using polyproplene-based materials too.

mac tíre

Come away from the Dark Side.

These are the boyos here.

LDF

This is why I only give my fish Lyons Tea to drink.

Morgellons

Loose tea is the way to go.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
I knew nothing good would come out of those tea baggy things. A spoonful [yes, a special tea spoon] per person .... and don't forget one for the pot ... and you have lovely tea ...

PS Don't empty the the tea-pot down the sink, and clog it all up.

johnhan278

Here is the online petition

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/barry-s-tea-make-teabags-100-compostable

Thank you lisa quinn.

Why is this important?

Barry's teabags are not compostable, they contain 20% polypropylene. This really disappoints me as a long-term loyal Barry's tea drinker. Other teabag manufacturers are able to construct fully compostable teabags, so why can't Barry's?

Too often the onus is on the consumer to protect the environment. I believe that corporations also need to step up and do their part. We don't need anymore unnecessary plastics in the world.

This petition asks Barry's to change their teabags to make them compostable. A small change that can make a big difference!

PG Tips have recently made changes to the way they make teabags. Why not Barry's

Morgellons

I just checked there boxes there is nothing on box saying the teabags are not bio-degradable.
Been composting these things for years as have hundreds of thousands of others. This is huge scandal.
How is it a scandal? What difference does it make? You wouldn't have known anything about it apart from this article. There are people being shot daily in Gaza and you're on about tea-bags being a scandal.

truthisfree

How is it a scandal? What difference does it make? You wouldn't have known anything about it apart from this article. There are people being shot daily in Gaza and you're on about tea-bags being a scandal.
It is possible to care about the little things as well as the big things after all...

Spirit Of Newgrange

i was horrified to see my weekly...7 KFC chicken buckets, 60 crates of booze, 300 smokes and occasional dabbling in other pharmaceuticals.....were all wrapped in plastic.

oh the health implications must endanger my chances of participating in the forthcoming World Cup.

Morgellons

It is possible to care about the little things as well as the big things after all...
This is so little it's completely irrelevant-it's a story for people with no problems.

johnhan278

This is so little it's completely irrelevant-it's a story for people with no problems.
dear god :rolleyes:

Micro-plastics are a non-issue? :confused:
Corporations not telling us a product we are put in your gardens are plastics not paper is a non-issue? :confused:

Plastic pollution is the biggest issue on planet.

PG tips switches to plastic-free tea bags after 200,000 sign gardener’s petition
PG tips will remove plastic from all its tea bags by the end of the year after more than 200,000 signed a gardener’s online petition.

The Unilever-owned brand announced its tea bags will be made from a new plant-based material that is 100% renewable and biodegradable to help reduce the environmental impact of their products.

An estimated 165 million cups of tea are drunk in Britain each day, with many tea brands using polypropylene - a heat-resistant plastic sealant used to help tea bags keep their shape.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/28/pg-tips-switches-plastic-free-tea-bags-200000-sign-gardeners/

Morgellons

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies