• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Basil & John's New Party

devonish

I listened to the Nolan interview of Basil McCrea and John McCallister. Whilst they haven't come up with a name yet they were clear that it wouldn't have the word "unionist" in it and that their literature/logos won't have the union flag.
They make it very clear that they are pro retaining the union but wish to build on a NI identity which is inclusive and see no need to keep telling people all the time that they are unionists. Hopefully the UUP will merge with the DUP which will create more space for the new party.

Swords Hoopster

they were clear that it wouldn't have the word "unionist" in it and that their literature/logos won't have the union flag.
Sounds very "Alliance" to me but welcome none the less.

Hopefully the UUP will merge with the DUP which will create more space for the new party.
Hopefully so. There's no difference now between those two parties so it would be good for the Unionist electorate to have a clear choice between moderate and hard-line Unionist parties.

T

Thomas_

I listened to the Nolan interview of Basil McCrea and John McCallister. Whilst they haven't come up with a name yet they were clear that it wouldn't have the word "unionist" in it and that their literature/logos won't have the union flag.
They make it very clear that they are pro retaining the union but wish to build on a NI identity which is inclusive and see no need to keep telling people all the time that they are unionists. Hopefully the UUP will merge with the DUP which will create more space for the new party.
Thank you very much for coming up with this topic. I´m in absolute agreement with the last line in your post.

I´m curious on how this thread will develop along the next couple of days.

Meanwhile, have a good time and enjoy the debate.:)

physicist

I heard that podcast, I don't think the UUP will die without a fight but if they choose not to fight elections then the electorate will question that and the DUP are going to put off any attempts to merge or conquer the UUP until after the European elections.

As I've said on Basil and John's party before, you'd have to see how to see how it orientates after a proper recruitment drive. They are getting support because currently they are carte-blanc but when they have to accommodate a group of conflicting interests like every other political entity it would be then that the voter gains a more honest opinion of it.

There are a few other issues the party is a group for opposition:

a) ...It may still need its frienemies in the UUP to achieve that, rather than have a single party unionist bloc that horse trades unionist unity for complete fiscal and political control to the DUP and a few elites within the UUP.

b) ...It may need to deal with the fact that the unionist/nationalist bloc determines the balance of power-sharing, whether it resigns voting/vetoing rights for being unionist or uses that to try to changes vectors within unionism to oppose what passes for its mainstream in the DUP or UUP.

c) ... It may need to build cross community confidence that opposition mechanisms can work.

d) ...It may need to achieve a situation where a Justice Minister can from any party including SF and the DUP, or possibly determine that a Justice Minister must become non-partisan similar to a speaker, or indeed have two Justice Ministers.

e)... It may need frenimies in other parties P to develop a cross community shadow cabinet, allow for the possibility that either the DUP or SF could choose to join a voluntary opposition or that Alliance, the SDLP or any Unionist group can choose to join a voluntary government.

For instance could say a government with Sinn Féin, SDLP, Basil's Party and the Alliance be used to exclude the DUP or a new Unity Unionist party? Or indeed provide a government where Sinn Féin no matter how well they do in an election are excluded?

eskrimador

Basil exposed himself as a total right wing Tory tit a couple of weeks ago. He got white heat on twitter and has been lying pretty low since.

physicist

Basil exposed himself as a total right wing Tory tit a couple of weeks ago. He got white heat on twitter and has been lying pretty low since.
Basil and John are right wing, but neither are extremists, they seem reasonable and both have helped the left-leaning parties not just SF, SDLP or APNI but the Greens too, on social and fiscal issues. If Northern Ireland is going to have to have an opposition it may need someone who can find common ground to work a system between vocal lefties like Eammon McCann on the one hand and vocal righties like David Vance on the other.

Both government and opposition would have to be either a Grand Coalition or a War Coalition, otherwise it might not function well with the makeup of the society we have here.

Dame_Enda

Presumably an attempt to cash in on the Spotlight poll findings of the growing Northern Irish identity. This identity is overwhelmingly Catholic so they are wise not to engage in the Union Flag-waving of the "Unionist" parties to attract it.

devonish

Would be interested in viewing this, could you post a link or give a run down on what he said. Cheers

physicist

Presumably an attempt to cash in on the Spotlight poll findings of the growing Northern Irish identity. This identity is overwhelmingly Catholic so they are wise not to engage in the Union Flag-waving of the "Unionist" parties to attract it.
Well if the dissidents within the flag protesters are burning Catholic churches over a flag on Belfast City Hall then how could any Catholic, no matter how British or Unionist they may be support parties who support these protests? At the very least an apology needs to be made.

Dame_Enda

Physicist do you have any evidence that the flagwavers are involved with this new party?

devonish

Well if the dissidents within the flag protesters are burning Catholic churches over a flag on Belfast City Hall then how could any Catholic, no matter how British or Unionist they may be support parties who support these protests? At the very least an apology needs to be made.
That's the whole point about the new party, even whilst within the UUP, McCrea came out and said that the protesters were wrong and that the Alliance proposal was fine from his perspective.

physicist

Physicist do you have any evidence that the flagwavers are involved with this new party?
I wasn't referring to this party, or indeed the majority of the protesters, but I have no problem with these people who are flag demonstrations and they are people at the end of the day pursuing their campaign through democratic means, where they might have to meet people with views differing to themselves, and are given the basic liberty to share and debate issues and views.

Basil himself has said that designated days was UUP policy and John has said that while he disagrees with Belfast City Council's decision and understands the offence it causes, it's no justification for people acting like the apocalypse happened. They are the only two members known as yet.

eskrimador

Would be interested in viewing this, could you post a link or give a run down on what he said. Cheers
Check Paula Bradshaw and Ian Parsley's it timeline. The Alliance went at him heavily. On health and education he makes Cameron et al sound like pinkos.

eskrimador

Check Paula Bradshaw and Ian Parsley's it timeline. The Alliance went at him heavily. On health and education he makes Cameron et al sound like pinkos.
Just to add: I was very disappointed. I like Basil and found him dead on when I met him in Robinson's a few years back.

eskrimador

All the things nationalists have said about the relationship between unionist politicians and militant loyalists are exposed for all to see. The chape where I live has has at least half a dozen alerts, both scares and a real bomb on one occasion. We also had a house suffer a bomb attack in my area and hardly a word from unionists and yet they get all excited over a republican mortar in Derry.

Unionism has gone on a totally sectarian tip and as well as Basil and John I know for a fact that there is distaste within the DUP from at least one MLA.

vinoboy

All the things nationalists have said about the relationship between unionist politicians and militant loyalists are exposed for all to see. The chape where I live has has at least half a dozen alerts, both scares and a real bomb on one occasion. We also had a house suffer a bomb attack in my area and hardly a word from unionists and yet they get all excited over a republican mortar in Derry.

Unionism has gone on a totally sectarian tip and as well as Basil and John I know for a fact that there is distaste within the DUP from at least one MLA.
DUP have roundly condemned all atatcks in Newtownabbey .Two of their own councillors have been targeted by the empty heads .

‘It’s like anarchy’ - Local - Newtownabbey Times

RedCloud

How much did he get it for ?
Cagney was excellent in that film :)

RedCloud

Indeed. This Northern irish, overwhelmingly catholic identity, wish to retain the UNION with Britain......certainly no need to promote the UNION Flag there. :)

RedCloud

Just to add: I was very disappointed. I like Basil and found him dead on when I met him in Robinson's a few years back.
* It should be pointed out at this stage, that this particular contributor has a chequered history of making things up.

I would take everything she clams with a very HEFTY bag of salt. :)