Bathing "ban" at Kilkee

Clanrickard

Home - Clare FM

While the focus is on Drogheda Irish Water is again in well......hot water down in Clare with the town of Kilkee. Rainfall is to blame. I believe there was an issue on a Dublin beach earlier on. Kilkee is one of 44 towns where sewerage is pumped into the sea. Granted it is no danger to bathers because it is pumped miles out at sea hut you'd think we'd have ensured that treatment plants would have been routine in these 44 towns

Watcher2

Home - Clare FM

While the focus is on Drogheda Irish Water is again in well......hot water down in Clare with the town of Kilkee. Rainfall is to blame. I believe there was an issue on a Dublin beach earlier on. Kilkee is one of 44 towns where sewerage is pumped into the sea. Granted it is no danger to bathers because it is pumped miles out at sea hut you'd think we'd have ensured that treatment plants would have been routine in these 44 towns
Yes, another success for those standing in the way of progress, the water charge protest champions. Ensuring we deliver untreated sewage to the waterways and proper water infrastructure since 2014!!!

Go them. What a public service they have performed.

EDIT: And one of their biggest fan boys, Dave Murphy admits to not caring about the law of the land.

SeanieFitz

Home - Clare FM

The simple truth about our water/sewerage infrastructure and the lack of capital investment over the years is that there were no votes in it. If a TD "got" money for roads, sport facilities, schools, hospitals etc then he/she would get huge kudos for it. Not for water or sewerage as the money is literally buried underground. Most TD's would admit that sad truth.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'm sure that country solicitor fella will be along shortly to tut ,tut about how its all Paul Murphy's fault.

Watcher2

Home - Clare FM

Another point, I haven't listened to the Clare FM link but you mention a bathing ban and I also heard on the radio yesterday that they lost their blue flag status. Now, in your OP you say that the sewage is pumped miles out at sea (ocean:lol:) and therefore no danger to bathers. But that is contradictory, no? If no danger to bathers, why is there a ban and why did the beach lose its blue flag status?

statsman

Home - Clare FM

You have to feel a certain sympathy for IW, who will now be blamed for every local authority failure on water supply and sewage treatment ever.

Watcher2

The simple truth about our water/sewerage infrastructure and the lack of capital investment over the years is that there were no votes in it. If a TD "got" money for roads, sport facilities, schools, hospitals etc then he/she would get huge kudos for it. Not for water or sewerage as the money is literally buried underground. Most TD's would admit that sad truth.
That's because most TD's lack the awareness of how utterly fvcking stupid they are. This is what their job is about, making the place habitable.

Clanrickard

Another point, I haven't listened to the Clare FM link but you mention a bathing ban and I also heard on the radio yesterday that they lost their blue flag status. Now, in your OP you say that the sewage is pumped miles out at sea (ocean:lol:) and therefore no danger to bathers. But that is contradictory, no? If no danger to bathers, why is there a ban and why did the beach lose its blue flag status?
There is no ban as you cannot ban people from swimming in the ocean. It seems the pump broke and instead of the sewage being pumped far out to sea as is the normal and safe practise the stuff overflowed directly onto the beach.

You have to feel a certain sympathy for IW, who will now be blamed for every local authority failure on water supply and sewage treatment ever.
Correct. It is a historical problem as Seanie above said there were no votes in it and it was out of site out of mind.

SeanieFitz

That's because most TD's lack the awareness of how utterly fvcking stupid they are. This is what their job is about, making the place habitable.
I disagree, once a TD is elected his/her priority is to get re-elected and in order to achieve that he/she has to keep the electorate happy

SeanieFitz

the problem with Irish Water is that they haven't a clue, that is a fact. Local Authorities (for all their faults) had huge knowledge of their systems and a wealth of experience, local experience of any problems etc. They had caretakers that knew their treatment plants inside out. You cannot replace local knowledge with centralised systems. A lot of knowledge has retired from Local Authorities and IW staff haven't the years of experience available to them any longer, they are working blind

mangaire2

"the problem with Irish Water is that they haven't a clue, that is a fact. Local Authorities (for all their faults) had huge knowledge of their systems and a wealth of experience, local experience"

you're partially correct.
of course IW doesn't have the 'local knowledge',
& their difficulty is that a lot of the knowledge re the detail/routing of the existing pipe networks had not been documented by the Local Authorities, as it should have been.
it's the Local Authorities that 'hadn't a clue' when it came to the operation of water supply systems.
the establishment of IW was essential.

SeanieFitz

"the problem with Irish Water is that they haven't a clue, that is a fact. Local Authorities (for all their faults) had huge knowledge of their systems and a wealth of experience, local experience"

you're partially correct.
of course IW doesn't have the 'local knowledge',
& their difficulty is that a lot of the knowledge re the detail/routing of the existing pipe networks had not been documented by the Local Authorities, as it should have been.
it's the Local Authorities that 'hadn't a clue' when it came to the operation of water supply systems.
the establishment of IW was essential.
They didn't get the funding, simple as. When IW was established they were the only show in town with a significant budget. A friend of mine works for a consultancy engineering firm and they successfully tendered for work from IW, he said that IW kept many consultancy firms alive after it was established.

Clanrickard

the problem with Irish Water is that they haven't a clue, that is a fact. Local Authorities (for all their faults) had huge knowledge of their systems and a wealth of experience, local experience of any problems etc. They had caretakers that knew their treatment plants inside out. You cannot replace local knowledge with centralised systems. A lot of knowledge has retired from Local Authorities and IW staff haven't the years of experience available to them any longer, they are working blind
It is not a fact at all. Most of the Council water workers transferred to Irish Water.

Clanrickard

"Ban" Lifted.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I sort of doubt that they would openly admit that collectively fffg have been fairly useless and visionless since the start of time. There are legacy problems caused by them in Drogheda last week, Meath, Clare and Limerick this week. They must be really praying to their seats that it is a mild winter because if there is any kind of a freeze they will all deny any knowledge of knowing about freezing pipes.

Remember Covney dressed to the nines last year in combat and wet gear to battle the floods as Joanie fell into 4 inches of water and made a worse ejjit of herself. This country is blessed with the most stupid of bumkins.

popular1

The councils did all they could to grant pp to many proposed housing developments which were allowed to use temporary sewage systems on the basis they would connect to the local scheme when that was upgraded sometime in the future. Tbe main thing was to get them built and sold. That was the priority nkt the issue of publkc health

mangaire2

They didn't get the funding, simple as. When IW was established they were the only show in town with a significant budget. A friend of mine works for a consultancy engineering firm and they successfully tendered for work from IW, he said that IW kept many consultancy firms alive after it was established.
I agree that the necessary funding wasn't provided over the years.
not surprised either to hear that IW had to employ engineering consultants to carry out essential work that should have been done by the Local Authorities, such as mapping & documenting the existing water networks.

I have some experience myself of doing technical work for State/Semi State/ Local Authority organisations.
the technical expertise within many of these bodies tends to be very poor.
very often those in charge of technical matters tend to be pen pushers.

bagel

Yes, another success for those standing in the way of progress, the water charge protest champions. Ensuring we deliver untreated sewage to the waterways and proper water infrastructure since 2014!!!
Go them. What a public service they have performed.
The "water charge protest champions" stood against being charged for a service all of us already pay for. They stood against the misuse of public funds in the awarding of numerous installation contracts to "redacted" and the purchasing of inferior meters from "redacted". They stood against the cronyism prevalent in the filling of executive level positions in IW and they stood against the covert plan to privatise IW to the benefit of corrupt politicians and their cronies. They have indeed done the State some service. BTW you don't have to accept your refund, you can always gift it to the State.

blokesbloke

I sort of doubt that they would openly admit that collectively fffg have been fairly useless and visionless since the start of time. There are legacy problems caused by them in Drogheda last week, Meath, Clare and Limerick this week. They must be really praying to their seats that it is a mild winter because if there is any kind of a freeze they will all deny any knowledge of knowing about freezing pipes.

Remember Covney dressed to the nines last year in combat and wet gear to battle the floods as Joanie fell into 4 inches of water and made a worse ejjit of herself. This country is blessed with the most stupid of bumkins.
:mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies