Battery Cages - LIVE.

junius

Seems they had a little friend visit when I last looked - a little brown bird had got in from outside and was looking in!

These birds are still well feathered. A few short years ago they would have had none - they'd have been completely naked by now, all their feathers having been plucked out by the other four of five birds which would have shared their cage at that time. That said, I'm not suggesting its right but while humans carry on their unsustainable path through life, congregating in cities for ease of unreal lifestyles demanding eggs, the production of which they wouldn't sully their city hands with, man's inhumanity to all other species on earth, including their own countrymen, (see link below to vimeo) will continue unabated.

RootofStar

Seems they had a little friend visit when I last looked - a little brown bird had got in from outside and was looking in!

These birds are still well feathered. A few short years ago they would have had none - they'd have been completely naked by now, all their feathers having been plucked out by the other four of five birds which would have shared their cage at that time. That said, I'm not suggesting its right but while humans carry on their unsustainable path through life, congregating in cities for ease of unreal lifestyles demanding eggs, the production of which they wouldn't sully their city hands with, man's inhumanity to all other species on earth, including their own countrymen, (see link below to vimeo) will continue unabated.

Thanks for the Vimeo link.

Ros

Luigi Vampa

No one has answered the real question, are these Palestinian Chickens that are being held in deplorable conditions by Israeli farmers ?

RootofStar

I think the birds are working very hard to maintain the quality of their feathers. It is worrying, however, that their combs are beginning to be floppy, which is never a good sign.

Ros

junius

I think the birds are working very hard to maintain the quality of their feathers. It is worrying, however, that their combs are beginning to be floppy, which is never a good sign.

Ros
Yes, and all their red bits will get progressively paler as time goes on. Lack of decent light I suppose. Have to admit a secret - I used to work in these battery houses collecting the eggs at one time and chat to them as I moved along the rows (not that the noise of them would allow you to hear yourself think). That was the highlight of their day; beady eyes watched you coming and planned how they would peck your hand or grab the eggs out of your hand! The bigger picture isn't nice but then neither are a lot of intensive farming methods.

These hens go for making stock or soup at the end of their relatively short laying life but as I posted earlier, if rescued (by escaping accidentally usually), they recover pretty fast and enjoy life to the fullest as free range hens within a week or ten days and become extremely boisterous and noisy 'pets' dominating most domestic dogs and cats that dare approach them. Unfortunately foxes, very common in towns and cities nowadays normally manage to get them even if locked up at night because they will take them during the day instead.

But, it's interesting to look at this link occasionally. Think the camera has slipped a bit since I first looked at it!

No one has answered the real question, are these Palestinian Chickens that are being held in deplorable conditions by Israeli farmers ?
As its politics.ie its a pertinent question - maybe if you click on the link to watch the chickens live, you can ask someone there!

RootofStar

Think the camera has slipped a bit since I first looked at it!

Yes, looks like it.

I would like to think that people would go back to the site every day, so they can see the poor buggers still there time and time again.

Lifers who have committed no crime apart from being chickens.

Ros

RootofStar

This is a live stream from a hidden camera placed in a farm in Israel.

Reality TV Reaches the Chicken Coop - ???????? ??????? ???? ????

According to Compassion In World Farming Ireland - Compassion In World Farming Ireland - Irish Farming Facts - these are the living conditions of 68% of chickens held captive in Ireland.

An animal rights view on this, btw, would not think that "free range" birds get a much better deal - they certainly end up in the same slaughterhouses.

Ros

Looks like the activists are trying to remount the camera.

Ros

RootofStar

Took a look today to see how the chickens are getting on now but it appears that the camera has ceased to work?

Yeah, I think they are trying to put it back up

Ros

Watcher2

I would imagine that they would have more important things to worry about in israel than the living conditions of birds. Maybe the living conditions of people?

In fairness though, i would not eat anything out of that, but then i am lucky in that i can provide my own meat.
Not according to the likes of PETA. Animals have more rights than humans. Something about maaaaa..... and then I glazed over.

RootofStar

Not according to the likes of PETA. Animals have more rights than humans. Something about maaaaa..... and then I glazed over.

Oh, don't worry about what PETA say - they are not even an animal rights group.

There is no animal rights philosophy that says nonhuman animals have more rights than human ones. In fact, the reverse is the case. Animal rights is about basic rights ONLY.

btw, the camera is back on its mount.

Reality TV Reaches the Battery Cage - ???????? ??????? ???? ????

Vote_No_on_Everything

I would imagine that they would have more important things to worry about in israel than the living conditions of birds. Maybe the living conditions of people?

In fairness though, i would not eat anything out of that, but then i am lucky in that i can provide my own meat.
Selective compasion is flawed.

RootofStar

Selective compasion is flawed.

I think that's very true. This vegan video says that throughout....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4&NR=1&feature=fvwp]YouTube - Best Speech You Will Ever Hear - Gary Yourofsky[/ame]

Ros

Destiny's Soldier

junius

Yes, all true but gross and horrible when presented like that, as a documentary. Have seen it all unfortunately over the years. Most farmers don't intend cruelty to their animals and often build up good relationships with animals in their care but what happens in slaughter houses and indeed, in intensive systems such as the battery cages, across the country is gross indeed and slaughter house workers seem to become immune to killing other species.

We often had sheep, usually those reared as pet lambs who became as loved as pet dogs over the years and never left the farm until they died naturally. They would never be sent for slaughter. You could never rear a male pet lamb because you knew it would be sent for slaughter so we used to exchange orphan males for females whose own mothers were still alive, and make ewes rear male lambs that were not their own natural offspring in order to avoid pets being sent for slaughter.

I could never look an animal in the eye that was going for slaughter. Some people would think that farm animals have no feelings - they're very wrong.

Animals in a line for slaughter in an abbatoir suffer terribly. It is wrong and no doubt increasing as human populations continue to explode. It's a wonder we're not all vegetarians. Everyone should probably be made to watch this video as it is very true to life and not one bit exaggerated as I have seen it all on farms and in abbatoirs in Ireland. However, I could not look at it and had to turn it off halfway through.:cry:

Cormac O Conachur

This is something I have a huge problem with. I eat the white of four eggs every morning. I work out and egg white is the best source of protein. However trying to find eggs that are not from caged hens is very difficult. Some brands say the eggs are from caged animals while with others the information is very vague. I thought organic eggs were the best way to go, but I find that organic just means the hens are fed organic feed. Don't know if the hens are caged or not. The best information I can get from free range is that the eggs come from different types of hens. At the moment I get eggs and the information on the box says "laid by hens that have the freedom to roam in a natural environment". I'm hoping that means not from caged hens, but I'm not really sure. All very confusing
An eggsellent post

Cormac O Conachur

This thread is Animal Rights propoganda to squeeze funds out of the pockets of good natured but gullible citizens by way of donations and other support.

If we take these people seriously we will all end up starving.

Let Animal Welfare up to others in society to deal with such as your politicians, farmers etc, but beware of the animal rights brigade. The humans are less equal than the other species in their eyes.

junius

If those are the same birds that were in those cages several months ago, they're not looking half bad. Reducing the number of birds per cage from five or six (which was the case just a few years ago) to three seems to have worked well.

Farming animals in intensive systems is never right but these battery cages are far from the worst conditions humans inflict on other species.

This however, is horrible - and is not exaggerated at all. MeatVideo.com - The video the meat industry doesn't want you to see.

RootofStar

This thread is Animal Rights propoganda to squeeze funds out of the pockets of good natured but gullible citizens by way of donations and other support.

If we take these people seriously we will all end up starving.

Let Animal Welfare up to others in society to deal with such as your politicians, farmers etc, but beware of the animal rights brigade. The humans are less equal than the other species in their eyes.

These are ridiculous statements Cormac. At its core, animal rights is about living non-violently which I would think was a good thing given all the violence in the world.

More people will be fed if we were to stop putting good food through the bodies of nonhuman animals first.

There is no animal rights philosophy that suggests that nonhuman animals are "less equal."

You should read some animal rights philosophy - Tom Regan or Gary Francione - and be better informed.

Ros

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies