Battle for The West - SF v PBP

Marcella

This is one constintuency that genuinely holds interest in the upcoming assembly election. PBP romped home with a massive poll topping vote for Gerry Carroll last time out which has given them confidence to field two candidates this time.

SF are seeking to hold the four seats they've got. The transfers of the surely doomed Atwood could prove crucial.

If PBP do take two seats this time out then we could be looking at the beginnings of a sea change in nationalist working class politics.

In the run up I expect to see more stories like this one. It's very much game on in SF's Citadel.

Sinn Fein slams People Before Profit as Belfast agrees to rates hike of 1.89% - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

theloner

SF are using Brexit to attack PBP in West Belfast, but people know in their heart of hearts, when the walls said 'Not a bullet, Not and Ounce', 'No Return to Stormont', that Brexit would've also been a policy.

What a difference a generation makes.

Marcella

theloner

I am a Remainer. However the argument, put forth by PBP, as trendy as it isn't, has a lot of merit. Especially from a left stand point. Danny Morrison, who suggested George Galloway as a successor to Gerry Adams for Belfast West, before deciding on Dim but Nice is a fervent Brexiteer. His politics and SF's, well you might fit a cigarette paper between them.

SF's use of Brexit is sickening populism as there are those in SF who really know this. Gerry C will poll well in and around Stockmans and mid-Falls among the youth.

Last edited:

Breanainn

I am a Remainer. However the argument, put forth by PBP, as trendy as it isn't, has a lot of merit. Especially from a left stand point. Danny Morrison, who suggested Galloway as a successor to George Galloway for Belfast West, before deciding on Dim but Nice is a fervent Brexiteer. His politics and SF's, well you might fit a cigarette paper between them.

SF's use of Brexit is sickening populism as there are those in SF who really know this. Gerry C will poll well in and around Stockmans and mid-Falls among the youth.
Not particularly, if the left wants a reformed socially-focused EU, then more social democratic politicians need to be elected to national and continental legislatures. As things stand, Lexiters are merely "useful idiots" aiding the ascent of the far-right by hollowing out the centre.

Windowshopper

I am a Remainer. However the argument, put forth by PBP, as trendy as it isn't, has a lot of merit. Especially from a left stand point. Danny Morrison, who suggested George Galloway as a successor to Gerry Adams for Belfast West, before deciding on Dim but Nice is a fervent Brexiteer. His politics and SF's, well you might fit a cigarette paper between them.

West Belfast should put a moratorium on the name Gerry for a trial period, I am losing track at this stage.

Last edited:

GDPR

Back in the 1970s they threatened violence against the EEC if it went to far....The Dissos and I seem to be the only ones to cop or at least say publically how radically the Provos changed during the 00s.

theloner

Back in the 1970s they threatened violence against the EEC if it went to far....The Dissos and I seem to be the only ones to cop or at least say publically how radically the Provos changed during the 00s.
Opposition to the original EEC Accession Treaty in 1972, through the referendums on the Single European Act 1987, the Maastricht Treaty 1992, the Amsterdam Treaty 1998, the Nice Treaty 2001 and 2002, the Lisbon Treaty 2008 and 2009, up to the Fiscal Stability Treaty of 2012.

Now feeding the people on the Falls that Gerry C is the face of Farage in sheep's clothing. All said with a brass neck too and smiley face.

theloner

Not particularly, if the left wants a reformed socially-focused EU, then more social democratic politicians need to be elected to national and continental legislatures. As things stand, Lexiters are merely "useful idiots" aiding the ascent of the far-right by hollowing out the centre.
That's what SF has spun, sorry named “critical engagement” in the last decade or so.

Nice try though.

Nordie Northsider

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies