BBC Broadcast 'Trigger-warning' before Marine Le Pen interview

picador

Marine Le Pen could well 'break the glass-ceiling' and become the next President of France. Even so Andrew Marr felt compelled to justify his decision to interview her on his BBC show. The 'trigger-warning' was broadcast immediately before this interview. An anti-fa demo outside the BBC was addressed by Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/nov/13/andrew-marr-defends-remembrance-sunday-marine-le-pen-interview-french-far-right-bbc

Should publicly-funded TV channels be safe-spaces?

ger12

I don't think as big a threat as people seem to believe. I can't see her ever getting enough support to lead France.

Publicly funded channels should serve all the people.

wombat

If Sarkozy or Hollande is the alternative in a runoff, she'll have a good chance, once the middle class feel threatened, rationality is forgotten.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Marine Le Pen could well 'break the glass-ceiling' and become the next President of France. Even so Andrew Marr felt compelled to justify his decision to interview her on his BBC show. The 'trigger-warning' was broadcast immediately before this interview. An anti-fa demo outside the BBC was addressed by Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/nov/13/andrew-marr-defends-remembrance-sunday-marine-le-pen-interview-french-far-right-bbc

has he or will he interview her rivals?

Cellachán Chaisil

If Sarkozy or Hollande is the alternative in a runoff, she'll have a good chance, once the middle class feel threatened, rationality is forgotten.
I hear many young (and left-leaning) French people are signing up to the UMP just so Sarkozy is not their candidate.

publicrealm

She is intolerant and must on no account be tolerated, in order to protect the lumpen proles.

Something like that..

GDPR

LOL, its just the English losing their minds over bossy blondes, especially if they have a French accent.

One million years ago, (well back in the 90s) when Brigitte Bardot was shacked up with some rightwinger, I watched a programme where the man from the Beeb went to interview her at her animal sanctuary. I think it was meant to be a mixture of schadenfreude (look what a wreck she is now) and political correctness.

Anyway, mad old Brigitte had him wrapped round her finger in five seconds.

The classic moment was when she said in her eccentric and totally French English, "But what I care about is not ze human animals but all ze animals, and our animal nature. For example, how you say, the leetle phoques ....." (Seals) :D

Ramon Mercadar

When it comes to Le Pen I think more in terms of trigger switches.

picador

has he or will he interview her rivals?
I would be fairly confident that the BBC has in the past broadcast interviews with Mssrs. Sarkozy and Hollande without providing trigger-warnings.

petaljam

I don't think as big a threat as people seem to believe. I can't see her ever getting enough support to lead France.
I'm not quite so sure any more, Trump and Brexit will be a huge boost to her, it's exactly the same appeal to right wing xenophobia and social conservatism.

I've a feeling she'll probably be in the second round. That was probable even before Trump's election.

As things are now, she probably wouldn't get any further - but a few more events like the Bataclan or Nice (or something else I haven't thought of, internationally or to do with the EU and a major economic crash maybe) could just possibly create enough of a fearful reactionary backlash for her to slip through. Shy Le Pen voters.

Polly Ticks

Some speech is more free than others these days.

I have no problem w/ the people protesting outside, that's their democratic right.. to free speech and protest.

The problem arises when some speech (speech that falls outside shouting fire in a cinema) is not even permitted.. and when people call for legal forms of free speech to be shut down. That's not a marketplace of ideas.. it's a monopoly.

tsarbomb

She won't win. Too many French people don't want her to win. What was it they said in 2002 when pappy le pen went up against Chirac? Something along the lines of "better the crook than the facist" I think.

GDPR

I would be fairly confident that the BBC has in the past broadcast interviews with Mssrs. Sarkozy and Hollande without providing trigger-warnings.

We should have had a trigger warning every time Camerons red wobbling lying face appeared on telly.

Hes the one who lost BREXIT.

petaljam

I hear many young (and left-leaning) French people are signing up to the UMP just so Sarkozy is not their candidate.
Yes but it's not membership as we understand it - in the UK anyway, and I gather the ROI is the same - we're actually being encouraged to vote in any and all primaries here.
Seems weird to me, but my kids assure me it's ethically quite ok, and I hear my colleagues at work saying the same thing.

midlander12

Hollande has no hope of coming second so he will not be the alternative. If it Sarkozy, I wouldn't bet the bank on it either. He is a deeply compromised, unpopular politician.

I have posted elsewhere about the silliness of the reaction to the BBC interview. She may well be the next French President. Of course she should be interviewed.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
you call its trigger warning I call it an introduction, I would be fairly confident that the BBC has in the past broadcast interviews with Mssrs. Sarkozy and Hollande and done an introduction, but has he interviewed with Mssrs. Sarkozy and Hollande recently in relation to this years presidential election?

ETA:their are many other candidates apart from them

Last edited:

petaljam

She won't win. Too many French people don't want her to win. What was it they said in 2002 when pappy le pen went up against Chirac? Something along the lines of "better the crook than the facist" I think.
Le Pen Sr was an easy opponent, even for a crook, it was well known that he's almost certainly guilty of war crimes in Algeria, he's come out with so many openly anti Semitic and/or racist comments (against Simone Veil, a survivor of the Nazi prison camps for example) etc etc that only the most extreme could vote for him. Marine is a lot cleverer and doesn't have all his "history".

Hollande has no hope of coming second so he will not be the alternative. If it Sarkozy, I wouldn't bet the bank on it either. He is a deeply compromised, unpopular politician.

I have posted elsewhere about the silliness of the reaction to the BBC interview. She may well be the next French President. Of course she should be interviewed.
Hollande apparently wants to stand. Suicidal for his party, but as with Hillary, very difficult for them to stop him if he doesn't see sense himself. Harder actually, more like telling Obama he couldn't stand for the 2012 elections...

picador

Le Pen would beat Sarkozy or Holland. I imagine the second round will be Le Pen v Alain Juppe.

Surely feminists everywhere are hoping that Marine shatters the glass ceiling?

picador

you call its trigger warning I call it an introduction, I would be fairly confident that the BBC has in the past broadcast interviews with Mssrs. Sarkozy and Hollande and done an introduction, but has he interviewed with Mssrs. Sarkozy and Hollande recently in relation to this years presidential election?
Classic trigger-warning. Self-defeating.

tsarbomb

Le Pen Sr was an easy opponent, even for a crook, it was well known that he's almost certainly guilty of war crimes in Algeria, he's come out with so many openly anti Semitic and/or racist comments (against Simone Veil, a survivor of the Nazi prison camps for example) etc etc that only the most extreme could vote for him. Marine is a lot cleverer and doesn't have all his "history".
So, there's a willingness for the French to vote for her over a mainstream candidate?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies