• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

BBC Claims Tommie Gorman is a Player not simply a Reporter

civic_critic

Last night on the BBC NI evening news much was made of the claim that Tommie Gorman acted as a go-between between the DUP and the Sinn Féin in the lead up to the GFA. Gorman has refused to coomment on these claims and has retreated into professional reporter mode by saying that he 'doesn't reveal sources'. Apart from the fact that revealing sources is beside the point of what the BBC claimed, what do people think this means for the objectivity of Gorman's reporting? If he has been acting as a player while being at the same time the main reporter on the issue from the Republic of Ireland, what does that say about the tendentious nature of the news we have been fed?
Is this the real reason why RTÉ pay Gorman 200,000 euros a year?

DAOINE

It appears he has made a valuable contribution to stability in NI and well done to him.

civic_critic

Well the question has to be asked on whose behalf was Gorman acting? Who gave him his orders and who directed him? These are very real questions which arise from the BBC's revelations. Is this man fit to report to us on an issue he's so deeply involved in? Was he merely a third party whose use was serendipitous or was he placed to do this job as an agent?

code twinkle

who do you think he was working for CC?

Given that reporters speak to lots of different people and lots of different sources then its hardly suprising that they act as go betweens.

civic_critic

I don't know but the Irish Secret Service springs to mind. There seems to be little in this country that is not highly manipulated by the powers that be, whether it be land deals, planning decisions, broadcasting licenses, oversight of the Gardai or media news stories. Even if a dead body is found in the office of a government minister there is a news blackout.

Now we hear Tommie Gorman has been an agent of influence within a situation where he posed publically as an objective voice.

This is not a republic.

theyshootPDsdontthey

This isn't news. It was discussed on the Sham Shith show a few Sundays ago.

civic_critic

A go between is a negotiator. Ahern himself said that the go between in question (he didn't name Gorman) had been very important to the whole process. The question follows naturally therefore from whom did he take his directions, if anyone, during this time? Is the man an agent?

PatMcL

If he actively involves himself in the political arena he cannot be viewed as an impartial reporter for a state run television station. He is either a politcal player or a reporter, he cannot be both.

A Go between who passes message on is not a negotiator as he is not negotiating anything just ensuring the message is passed on and understood.

Stíofán

Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
His coverage was always going to be fawning and uncritical, whatever his exact role.

G

Gimpanzee

...sure wasn't he trying to fix it up between Mick and Roy during the Siapan trouble too? Made a right pigs ear of it.

Big Bruffer

I am disappointed but not surprised. There is no way that his reporting could be objective if at the same time he was engaging in related activities. This diminishes RTE NEWS Reporting in my eyes.
More than once in the past I have heard people questioning his almost fawning reportage of the Irish Governments Position and his constant spinning of Sinn Feins arguments.

However the people that should feel most aggrieved are the SDLP and of course those of us who pay the License Fee

Lughán

All I remember is him standing on steps outside one building after another in the North telling us solemnly that something momentous was about to happen. It almost never did. He became a laughing stock in at least two workplaces that I was in during that time.

G

Gimpanzee

Big Bruffer said:
I am disappointed but not surprised. There is no way that his reporting could be objective if at the same time he was engaging in related activities. This diminishes RTE NEWS Reporting in my eyes.
More than once in the past I have heard people questioning his almost fawning reportage of the Irish Governments Position and his constant spinning of Sinn Feins arguments.

However the people that should feel most aggrieved are the SDLP and of course those of us who pay the License Fee
Don't know about that - I remember his breaking news report the evening Robert McCartney was murdered and he flagged it up as something that was going to cause major problems for SF. Every other news outlet dodged the political angle for a week or two until the family started making noise. I think he has an odd way of reporting, but I think he's generally been very accurate in his predictions in a 'read-between-the-lines' sort of way.

Kf

Not appropiate for a journalist to act this in this role.

civic_critic

odie1kanobe said:
A Go between who passes message on is not a negotiator as he is not negotiating anything just ensuring the message is passed on and understood.
If you want to influence the outcome of negotiations then the place you'd like to be is acting as the go-between. This gives you great power and influence. Therefore it's not a question of thinking of a go-between as the least important thing, like a telephone on legs or a piece of fleshy paper upon which others write their messages; it's a question of who would actively want to have their man - Gorman - placed there in order to have an influence on the outcome. The question is who put Gorman there or who gave him the go-ahead to act in this way once he was there as a reporter, who in RTÉ ok'ed this even though it could be said to conflict with his role as the main TV reporter on these events for the country, who told him what was desired from the participants and who coached him on how to bring the participants to various places during the negotiations? Gorman was in a position, as go-between, to influence these things. We know this because Ahern said he was of great importance to the outcome of the negotiations during that time. It is naive to believe that he was nothing more than a homing pidgeon with a piece of paper attached to his leg, as odie1kanobe seems to want to cast it.

rockyracoon

Frankly, who cares. The peace was created. It was created by alot of different people for many different motives.

Imo, also, don't think the average person believes nor cares about RTE being biased or unbaised, as the case may be. One only has to look at their reporting (barely concealed talking up) over the last five years in regards to the property market to see what and who motivates the "state" broadcaster.

civic_critic said:
odie1kanobe said:
If you want to influence the outcome of negotiations then the place you'd like to be is acting as the go-between. This gives you great power and influence. Therefore it's not a question of thinking of a go-between as the least important thing, like a telephone on legs or a piece of fleshy paper upon which others write their messages; it's a question of who would actively want to have their man - Gorman - placed there in order to have an influence on the outcome. The question is who put Gorman there or who gave him the go-ahead to act in this way once he was there as a reporter, who in RTÉ ok'ed this even though it could be said to conflict with his role as the main TV reporter on these events for the country, who told him what was desired from the participants and who coached him on how to bring the participants to various places during the negotiations? Gorman was in a position, as go-between, to influence these things. We know this because Ahern said he was of great importance to the outcome of the negotiations during that time. It is naive to believe that he was nothing more than a homing pidgeon with a piece of paper attached to his leg, as odie1kanobe seems to want to cast it.
You can't prove it other than he was acting in passing messages across. Fact is the parties involved trusted him to pass the messages.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies