BBC doc, "the turth about Carbs" & reversing Type 2 Diabetes with diet

silverharp

BBC doc, "the truth about Carbs" & reversing Type 2 Diabetes with diet

Caught the end of this documentary on BBC last night on the relation of carbs to Type 2 Diabetes , towards the end of the programme some patients were put on a low carb diet and only after 2 weeks their markers had improved, longer term it would mean being able to stop taking their medication.
Anyone interested in Low carb, Keto or Paleo diets will have stumbled over this in the past few years but interesting when a mainstream outfit pick it up. There are a lot of vested interests who would probably prefer if it doesn't go mainstream like US agriculture ,parts of the food industry and the pharma sector who peddle a lot of drugs in this area.

Type 2 is heading for the title of most common chronic disease with up to half of americans on track to be diagnosed with it. Obviously complicated as a non drug solution means discipline from the people likely to fall to it however the government agencies and health advice should support this and not in a half hearted way due to agricultural interests etc.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/documentary-tonight-on-bbc-1-the-truth-about-carbs

If you live in the UK or have access to BBC 1, why not check out the documentary that is airing tonight? The documentary is called The Truth About Carbs and features presenter Xand van Tulken, a medical doctor who, despite his love of carbs, says he is determined to find out whether they really do cause health problems.

The team will be looking at some of the health conditions that may be linked to carb consumption, as well as looking at the effect of different foods on blood sugar levels and examining some possible hacks to make carb-containing foods less damaging.

You will probably recognise a familiar face: Dr. David Unwin from our Low carb for doctors course teamed up with the programme to trial a healthy eating plan that teaches participants to be smart with their carbs.

The documentary will air on BBC 1 this evening, Wednesday 6th June, at 8:00pm UK time and will be available here shortly after broadcast for BBC online users in the UK.

uploaded here

[video=youtube;Us8Art5EOFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us8Art5EOFc[/video]

Last edited:

benroe

Caught the end of this documentary on BBC last night on the relation of carbs to Type 2 Diabetes , towards the end of the programme some patients were put on a low carb diet and only after 2 weeks their markers had improved, longer term it would mean being able to stop taking their medication.
Anyone interested in Low carb, Keto or Paleo diets will have stumbled over this in the past few years but interesting when a mainstream outfit pick it up. There are a lot of vested interests who would probably prefer if it doesn't go mainstream like US agriculture ,parts of the food industry and the pharma sector who peddle a lot of drugs in this area.

Type 2 is heading for the title of most common chronic disease with up to half of americans on track to be diagnosed with it. Obviously complicated as a non drug solution means discipline from the people likely to fall to it however the government agencies and health advice should support this and not in a half hearted way due to agricultural interests etc.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/documentary-tonight-on-bbc-1-the-truth-about-carbs

uploaded here

[video=youtube;Us8Art5EOFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us8Art5EOFc[/video]
I have a diabetic daughter (T1) and in the recent past the the regime has changed completely, it used to be that certain amount of insulin was to be taken before meals and the meals tailored to suit the insulin dose, this has now been turned around. Parents and their diabetic children are now given an extensive carb counting course and taught the "100" rule, which is a relatively simple way to calculate carbs from the information given on packaging. Now we count the carbs of every meal/snack and calculate the insulin dose to cover the carbs, this now means that diabetics can eat what they want when they want provided they can calculate the carb content.

We were then given a course on diet, and this is where it is getting interesting, at present carb heavy foods are the second tier of the "food pyramid", so the advice is to make these foods a large part of your diet, but recent studies are starting to show that there is actually nothing wrong with fat and that eating carbs is actually worse for you.

The premise go's like this, the body becomes very efficient at processing whatever type of food you eat, if you eat a lot of carbs then your body becomes efficient at burning them , the thinking before was that carbs were good because they don't make you fat ,at least not directly, surplus carbs are stored in the liver and the extra excreted. But its been discovered that those who eat carb heavy foods become poor processors of fat and as a result the fat builds up in your body, the thinking now is that if your diet is more fat based your body becomes more efficient at burning it and that there is actually no real need for carbs at all and the likelihood of gaining weight is less.

You can train your body to process fat quite easily, when you get up in the morning your body has used up its carbs and stored the surplus so you are burning fat, if you don't eat until 4 hours after you get up you are training your body to burn fat and if you don't over eat you will lose weight.

If these new studies prove to be true then the food pyramid will have bread, pasta and other carb heavy foods at the top with sugars and sweets, something to be eaten rarely and at the bottom will be fruit ,vegetables, meat and high fat dairy products.

Interesting times.

Half Nelson

I have a diabetic daughter (T1) and in the recent past the the regime has changed completely, it used to be that certain amount of insulin was to be taken before meals and the meals tailored to suit the insulin dose, this has now been turned around. Parents and their diabetic children are now given an extensive carb counting course and taught the "100" rule, which is a relatively simple way to calculate carbs from the information given on packaging. Now we count the carbs of every meal/snack and calculate the insulin dose to cover the carbs, this now means that diabetics can eat what they want when they want provided they can calculate the carb content.

We were then given a course on diet, and this is where it is getting interesting, at present carb heavy foods are the second tier of the "food pyramid", so the advice is to make these foods a large part of your diet, but recent studies are starting to show that there is actually nothing wrong with fat and that eating carbs is actually worse for you.

The premise go's like this, the body becomes very efficient at processing whatever type of food you eat, if you eat a lot of carbs then your body becomes efficient at burning them , the thinking before was that carbs were good because they don't make you fat ,at least not directly, surplus carbs are stored in the liver and the extra excreted. But its been discovered that those who eat carb heavy foods become poor processors of fat and as a result the fat builds up in your body, the thinking now is that if your diet is more fat based your body becomes more efficient at burning it and that there is actually no real need for carbs at all and the likelihood of gaining weight is less.

You can train your body to process fat quite easily, when you get up in the morning your body has used up its carbs and stored the surplus so you are burning fat, if you don't eat until 4 hours after you get up you are training your body to burn fat and if you don't over eat you will lose weight.

If these new studies prove to be true then the food pyramid will have bread, pasta and other carb heavy foods at the top with sugars and sweets, something to be eaten rarely and at the bottom will be fruit ,vegetables, meat and high fat dairy products.

Interesting times.
On the other hand, I know people who say they fkd up their digestion by skipping breakfast. One individual will be on lifelong medication.
I'm sure there's a sensible medium.

silverharp

Very interesting indeed, my rough understanding is that carbs and sugar cause your pancreas to release insulin but on a carb heavy diet you start developing insulin resistance as your cells get bombarded with signals to store sugar. A fat based diet doesn't make you fat, your pancreas gets a breather and you stop putting on weight as insulin promotes weight gain.
The medical profession got it wrong in the 60's and it will take time to turn the ship

silverharp

On the other hand, I know people who say they fkd up their digestion by skipping breakfast. One individual will be on lifelong medication.
Intermittent fasting is catching, don't eat 16 hours and eat in an 8 hour window , the people you know may have had other issues? Its all very complicated with a lot of moving parts. Most of pre human history people wouldn't have had breakfast as they couldn't store food, it had to be caught. I'd blame Kellogs for pushing breakfast :D

fifilawe

As a type 1(Insulin dependent) diabetic what works for me is 3 main meals(Brk, Lun, dinner between 5-6 pm) and one slice of brown bread for sup at 8.30 - 9.00pm each day.
For type 2 diabetics the only way is to cut out sugary drinks, sugar in tea/coffee, get a list of foods with the Glycemic load index and cut out all the fast absorbed sugar/carb foods.Also there are food that extract the glucuse from the bloodstream , like flaxseed, turmeric .I take pinches of turmeric to help lower my blood glucose levels and it works but the taste of the dry powder is difficult but it is better than running the risk of damaged organs, limbs and losing sight.

benroe

There are people with underlying issues who should not fast in the morning, diabetics should defiantly not, the reason being that their livers could release sugar into their blood and the lack of insulin to burn it would result in a build up of sugar in the blood and cause a diabetics worst nightmare, DKA, basically their blood takes the consistency of treacle, causing blindness brain damage and possibly death.

benroe

As a type 1(Insulin dependent) diabetic what works for me is 3 main meals(Brk, Lun, dinner between 5-6 pm) and one slice of brown bread for sup at 8.30 - 9.00pm each day.
For type 2 diabetics the only way is to cut out sugary drinks, sugar in tea/coffee, get a list of foods with the Glycemic load index and cut out all the fast absorbed sugar/carb foods.Also there are food that extract the glucuse from the bloodstream , like flaxseed, turmeric .I take pinches of turmeric to help lower my blood glucose levels and it works but the taste of the dry powder is difficult but it is better than running the risk of damaged organs, limbs and losing sight.
Do you count carbs?

statsman

Does the truth turth?

fifilawe

Do you count carbs?
I don't, I avoid saturated fat, anything cooked in oil, processed food ,I never eat in Restaurants, takeaways.
Any food high in saturated oils or fats gets eventually into the bloodstream and insulin does not easily breakdown the oily molecules into something for the liver to process.I've notice on a few occasions my blood glucose levels remained high for hours due to "oily food" I had ate earlier.So now I never eat anything cooked in oil.

mr_anderson

Interesting times.
The food pyramid was nobbled at the very beginning.

50 Years Ago, Sugar Industry Paid Scientists To Point Blame At Fat

In the 1960s, the sugar industry funded research that downplayed the risks of sugar and highlighted the hazards of fat, according to a newly published article in JAMA Internal Medicine.

The article draws on internal documents to show that an industry group called the Sugar Research Foundation wanted to "refute" concerns about sugar's possible role in heart disease. The SRF then sponsored research by Harvard scientists that did just that. The result was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1967, with no disclosure of the sugar industry funding.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

Ardillaun

Intermittent fasting is catching, don't eat 16 hours and eat in an 8 hour window , the people you know may have had other issues? Its all very complicated with a lot of moving parts. Most of pre human history people wouldn't have had breakfast as they couldn't store food, it had to be caught. I'd blame Kellogs for pushing breakfast :D
We are designed for intermittent fasting. I stayed on 5/2 for a year, saw spectacular results, lost my way after that and and am trying to get back at it. IMO dieting for a finite period of time each week suits the modest male attention span better.

GDPR

I don't, I avoid saturated fat, anything cooked in oil, processed food ,I never eat in Restaurants, takeaways.
Any food high in saturated oils or fats gets eventually into the bloodstream and insulin does not easily breakdown the oily molecules into something for the liver to process.I've notice on a few occasions my blood glucose levels remained high for hours due to "oily food" I had ate earlier.So now I never eat anything cooked in oil.
That's true. Oil is the sneaky enabler. What's more it can cause macular degeneration as it gets into your eyes even when you are on a low sugar diet. Metformin or other diabetic medicines cannot help you reduce the fat in your blood.

As a T2 diabetic I have to avoid a high fat diet.

mr_anderson

We are designed for intermittent fasting. I stayed on 5/2 for a year, saw spectacular results, lost my way after that and and am trying to get back at it. IMO dieting for a finite period of time each week suits the male attention span better.
I also try the 5/2.
Works very well.

All diets work. The key is to find the one that works for you (i.e. sustainable).

silverharp

That's true. Oil is the sneaky enabler. What's more it can cause macular degeneration as it gets into your eyes even when you are on a low sugar diet. Metformin or other diabetic medicines cannot help you reduce the fat in your blood.

As a T2 diabetic I have to avoid a high fat diet.
would it depend on the type of oil? the vegetable oils seem to be disliked by the low carb community but don't seem to have an issue with olive oil and animal fats.

Ardillaun

I also try the 5/2.
Works very well.

All diets work. The key is to find the one that works for you (i.e. sustainable).
Now that my running days are specks in the rear mirror, I amused myself by thinking of the fasting days as gruelling marathons to get through. The wonderful thing was how the body reset each day - the next morning I did not feel that hungry.

LookWhoItIs

would it depend on the type of oil? the vegetable oils seem to be disliked by the low carb community but don't seem to have an issue with olive oil and animal fats.
Olive oil certainly gets a lot of good press - has to EVO mind

benroe

Before we started carb counting there is no doubt her diet was better and it was easier to control her levels, but she was miserable,watching her brothers and friends eat what they wanted, going to birthday parties and not allowed eat anything on display, parents and teachers fussing over her, carb counting was a godsend for us.

What you have done is turn a bad situation into a healthy option and you don't need me to tell you that this is by far and away the best for your health and fair play to you.

GDPR

Butter is especially bad in my experience.

mr_anderson

Now that my running days are specks in the rear mirror, I amused myself by thinking of the fasting days as gruelling marathons to get through. The wonderful thing was how the body reset each day - the next morning I did not feel that hungry.
I thought that was only me !!!
You battle the munchies in the evening, go to bed starving, but wake up with no cravings at all.

New Threads

Most Replies