• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

BBC - Falling Stars (RTE to follow?)

Outlander

still-life

There will be an enquiry which goes on a decade, costs tens of millions, makes recommendations and is then promptly ignored.
Why stop with an enquiry when you could have a quango, headed up by Gay Byrne with Mike Murphy making the tea?

nixmix

potholedogger

Just how much tax is being lost to the Exchequer by allowing tax mitigation or avoidance mechanisms in relation to servants of State companies?

Lonewolfe

[video=youtube;6QC_0QDDX2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QC_0QDDX2o[/video]

ARCUS

Good OP Outlander.

This debate is long overdue - I raised this before with the Marian Finnucane thread. As I noted I would be curious to know if MF (and other RTE "celebrities") who invoice RTE for their services, receive other income from private appearances at events outside their RTE work - surely in excess of 90% of their income is derived from RTE and hence they should be main employees of the organization and not be operating as self employed service providers?

As an aside I trust they charge VAT within their invoices.......

If they wish to remain self-employed with their limited companies etc., then they should be made tender for the provision of the service they are currently providing on an annual or two yearly basis etc., just like any public service contract and then awarded the contract on a competitive basis.

pippakin

If they are 'big' stars of the BBC they will have no difficulty proving how many other shows broadcasters, films etc they star in. If they can't prove that then PAYE awaits them as it should.