BBC Pidgin

silverharp

BBC be trippin yo. What the hell, is there a BBC Gangsta on the way? seems a retrograde step to lower standards and to encourage retarded version of the language. The BBC should be the standard that you can use in classrooms etc. This surely is telling them that they have nothing to learn?

[video=youtube;IQKfgzaa9hY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKfgzaa9hY[/video]

BBC launches Pidgin language service for Africa | Newshub

Venerable news provider and protector of the English language, the BBC, has launched a new news service - this time in Pidgin.

The digital service will provide West and Central Africans with online content.

"Dis new service go dey on top digital platforms and go use Pidgin wey dem dey speak for West and Central Africa as dem language," the BBC says.

Current headlines include "Yemen: Suffer-suffer too much for children" and "Guinea: Na 10 die as mountain of dirty collapse".

Pidgin is the popular language for the continent, which began in the late 17th and 18th centuries as a combination of basic English and local ethnic languages as a way of helping trade.

Stripped of complicated grammar and with few rules, it has become an easy to understand lingua franca - and wildly popular. More people across anglophone west and central Africa are fluent in Pidgin than in English.

"Pidgin na informal language wey dey unite people for West and Central Africa," BBC editorial lead Bilkisu Labaran says.

Ardillaun

A simpler version of English is fine with me. Not everyone has the time and money to polish their syntax.

Ellen Ripley

Pidgin is not a language though, it's a patois or a dialect, like Creole, isn't it?

"Everyting gwarn be iree on de BBC."

Peppermint

I really couldn't be arsed to listen to all that shiite, I tried a good bit of it, but life is too short.
Are you paying the TV license in the UK?

Why do you think the BBC should "protect" the english language?
Why do you think the BBC should have ANY say in the english language?

Do you think their move to employ people who "don't" speak the "queens" english, is a bad thing?
I don't want to wade through loads of youtube ************************e for a point you could make in a few lines!

What makes a version of the english language "retarded"? Is your level better?

Nedz Newt

"We have a duty to educate these savage people".......

Wascurito

Some pidgins and creoles (e.g. Haitian) are an amalgam of various European and African languages but are quite distinctive in terms of grammar. They're old enough to have grown separately but this.....?

I know Nigerians who speak perfect English and they have their own mother tongue so what's the need for it?

The guy who did that video could work on his phonetics, by the way.

comet

This is brilliant, I want more of it - its like Oolster Sketch.

Wascurito

A simpler version of English is fine with me. Not everyone has the time and money to polish their syntax.
But is this simpler? It's in the nature of pidgins that there's no standardization of grammar or vocabulary. There could be huge differences between Sierra Leone and Cameroon.

Lord Talbot

BBC be trippin yo. What the hell, is there a BBC Gangsta on the way? seems a retrograde step to lower standards and to encourage retarded version of the language. The BBC should be the standard that you can use in classrooms etc. This surely is telling them that they have nothing to learn?
You're confused, that's just RTE.

Best avoided.

Wascurito

"'I love to listen to the news in Pidgin English - mainly because it makes it less tragic,' added Nigerian blogger Uduak Ubak.

'A good example is when the word 'died' is replaced with 'delete'. When used in a sentence, we have something like 'the man don delete', meaning 'the man has died'.'

And to commit a massacre is to 'do-badness-to-people'.

The English word 'kill is' reserved for a different context setting altogether.

In one of Lagos' renowned mega clubs, a reveller might be heard to say 'she dey kill me wit her mini-skirt o', meaning they love the garment.
"

BBC launches World Service bulletin to western Africa | Daily Mail Online

Wascurito

This is linguistic imperialism on the part of the BBC. West African pidgins come in many regional forms (Sierra Leona, Liberia, Ghana, Nigeria and others).

By promoting Nigerian pidgin over the others, they're promoting Nigerian hegemony in the region.

silverharp

do licence payers fund this or does the gov. pay when they set up a propaganda service abroad?

wombat

Its a pity the BBC are not sticking with BBC English as spoken by many Indian doctors. Accents are fine but its nice to hear a standard version of a language once in a while.

sic transit

Embracing poor standards are really no excuse not to make an effort. As grammar systems go English is moderately difficult. On topic, it's just another language service, which is what the BBC do.

razorblade

Its supposed to be a British broadcaster, the clue is in the title, i don't know why the BBC needs to get involved in all this nonsense.

rainmaker

Administrator

[video=youtube;IQKfgzaa9hY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKfgzaa9hY[/video]
BBC launches Pidgin language service for Africa | Newshub
This is not the way forward for the BBC for goodness sake, it is a niche service on the overseas services - the way many here are are reacting it's as if about to become standard BBC English.

Get a grip & stay away from Youtube uploads of Americans whining about BBC services - they probably have an agenda - How early do you have to get up to find something this trivial to be annoyed about

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies