BBC presenter defends coverage of their ROI soccer team coverage.

NMunsterman

The GAA delivers but it doesn't matter!! I'd rather an Irish Team beats France, Germany, England or Australia than Kerry or Cork! Its a pity all our talent is locked up in GAA. Imagine how we could complete against other countries in international sports! I do think however that the GAA is a fine organisation and a huge benefit to the cultural life in Ireland, I'm just wish it didn't suck up all our talent!!

Iceland has no GAA - still qualify for the World Cup in soccer with a population of 330,000.
You are right about the value of the GAA to Ireland and it's enormously positive and valuable contribution to the country.

AhNowStop

The GAA delivers but it doesn't matter!! I'd rather an Irish Team beats France, Germany, England or Australia than Kerry or Cork! Its a pity all our talent is locked up in GAA. Imagine how we could complete against other countries in international sports! I do think however that the GAA is a fine organisation and a huge benefit to the cultural life in Ireland, I'm just wish it didn't suck up all our talent!!
You could just as easily look at this another way ... just maybe the GAA is a feeder to these other sports .. maybe without kids having a GAA lifestyle growing up there would be less of them going into & excelling at these other sports when they get older... (esp Rugby as many of them have had GAA backgrounds)

This might come even more into play in the current & future climate when kids are doing less & less physical activity apart from moving the end of their thumbs of course.... (the GAA will keep them active)

and you're right .. its a phenomenal institution ...

devonish

You could just as easily look at this another way ... just maybe the GAA is a feeder to these other sports .. maybe without kids having a GAA lifestyle growing up there would be less of them going into & excelling at these other sports when they get older... (esp Rugby as many of them have had GAA backgrounds)

This might come even more into play in the current & future climate when kids are doing less & less physical activity apart from moving the end of their thumbs of course.... (the GAA will keep them active)

and you're right .. its a phenomenal institution ...
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere near the level of cross over in Ulster as there is in the other 3 provinces, Sweetnam who has just earned his first cap was a senior hurler in Cork. I'm all for kids giving any sport a go and anything that gets them off their ar5e and outside onto a pitch is a good thing but the reality is that the GAA is still to make any significant progress on cross-community development with a few notable exceptions.

AhNowStop

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere near the level of cross over in Ulster as there is in the other 3 provinces, Sweetnam who has just earned his first cap was a senior hurler in Cork. I'm all for kids giving any sport a go and anything that gets them off their ar5e and outside onto a pitch is a good thing but the reality is that the GAA is still to make any significant progress on cross-community development with a few notable exceptions.
what would you suggest ? .. and Im being serious btw..

Lord Talbot

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

devonish

what would you suggest ? .. and Im being serious btw..
Firstly, the lack of cross community development wasn't a direct criticism of the GAA, more a statement of fact. Secondly, from past involvement in under age rugby I know that at club level it's down to the dedication of volunteers and most of those volunteer coaches are there due to their interest in the sport and probably because they have a kid playing, they're not interested or don't have the time to start solving wider social issues.
Any development on cross-community basis has to be at primary school level when kids have the time and energy to play different sports, my son who is 16 has 5 training sessions a week plus a match on Saturday so a 2nd sport of any sort from September to March is completely out.
I know that through some sort of sports initiative that kids at non-Catholic primary schools get the opportunity to try gaelic at school, but it tends to be something like a 4 week taster with no follow up and seems to be totally unconnected to the local club.
If the GAA is interested in developing cross-community then they need to chuck money at the issue with coaches who go into schools and coordinate with local clubs, run fresher sessions at the clubs for new players.
The biggest issue however is the GAA's image viewed from the outside, clubs and underage tournaments named after republicans and the sort of publicity surrounding Peadar Heffron continue to reinforce an image of the GAA that it's an exclusive organisation where "prods" aren't particularly welcome.
I know a couple of guys who coach or who have coached at the local GAA club and I know that it's not a bastion of republicanism and would have had no issue with my son playing there, I'm just not sure to what extent that club is the exception rather than the rule.

Glenshane4

The GAA failed to adequately consult and engage with local residents and SF tried to override h&s issues, so moi'd say tis fairly even...
I have been urging the GAA to put Casement Park up for sale as a site for social housing. We would then learn how genuine the local residents are.

razorblade

The GAA is not the reason why Ireland have a crap football team.

Glenshane4

"If the GAA is interested in developing cross-community"

Before launching a "Mission to the Prods," the GAA in Ulster needs to complete its Mission to the Catholics - in Derry City, Newry, Ardoyne, the New Lodge, the Short Strand, and in West Belfast. Hob-knobing with the Prods will not help the GAA in Ardoyne, the Bogside etc.

"The biggest issue however is the GAA's image viewed from the outside, clubs and underage tournaments named after republicans and the sort of publicity surrounding Peadar Heffron continue to reinforce an image of the GAA that it's an exclusive organisation where "prods" aren't particularly welcome."

In what way is that relevant to the failure of rugby in Northern Ireland to attract widespread involvement by Catholics?

AhNowStop

Firstly, the lack of cross community development wasn't a direct criticism of the GAA, more a statement of fact. Secondly, from past involvement in under age rugby I know that at club level it's down to the dedication of volunteers and most of those volunteer coaches are there due to their interest in the sport and probably because they have a kid playing, they're not interested or don't have the time to start solving wider social issues.
Any development on cross-community basis has to be at primary school level when kids have the time and energy to play different sports, my son who is 16 has 5 training sessions a week plus a match on Saturday so a 2nd sport of any sort from September to March is completely out.
I know that through some sort of sports initiative that kids at non-Catholic primary schools get the opportunity to try gaelic at school, but it tends to be something like a 4 week taster with no follow up and seems to be totally unconnected to the local club.
If the GAA is interested in developing cross-community then they need to chuck money at the issue with coaches who go into schools and coordinate with local clubs, run fresher sessions at the clubs for new players.
Agree with all of that 100%... and yes, it is and will be difficult to get volunteers to promote a different sport, but "hopefully" things will progress even more ....

When I was at school there were no lads playing Rugby but I have nephews & relations playing Rugby now as well as Gaelic and its not a bother to them .. from any direction... I just wish that was the case when I was a kid as I feckin love Rugby..

The biggest issue however is the GAA's image viewed from the outside, clubs and underage tournaments named after republicans and the sort of publicity surrounding Peadar Heffron continue to reinforce an image of the GAA that it's an exclusive organisation where "prods" aren't particularly welcome.
I know a couple of guys who coach or who have coached at the local GAA club and I know that it's not a bastion of republicanism and would have had no issue with my son playing there, I'm just not sure to what extent that club is the exception rather than the rule.
I can "honestly" say that i have never heard one word of politics at my local GAA club at any stage .. now Im not saying they are all the same but I can only talk from my experience.. If anything, in my experience, the GAA has been good for keeping people "away" from the more militant side of life..
I have protestant neighbours who used to play underage.. I know thats rare but it does occasionally happen..

The issue with Peadar Heffron is indeed very disappointing to say the least ... his club handled that very badly IMO ... Personally I wish that more Catholics would join the PSNI as its the only way to change it in my opinion .. but between the disso's threats and the continued collusion denial & "refusal to release docs" by the PSNI it makes it harder to happen .... I really dont know what the solution is here ... its a disappointing situation all round..

As for clubs named after republicans, most arent, but for those that are, well thats a tricky one too ...... There is no way that names of clubs, some named a hundred years ago, are going to be changed now.... Its the old adage again, one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter...
Times have changed now and hopefully there will never be any new clubs named in such a way ...

But anyway, where do you draw the line with things like this ... is there a statute of limitations on this ?
the British & Unionists honour lots & lots of people in many different ways that I as a nationalist would find totally reprehensible .. should you be required to stop doing that for me to find you acceptable ?

Anyway, in general, I would hope that someday more protestants would get into Gaelic .. and that more 6 county GAA players would get into Rugby .. although there are a fair few of them already..

devonish

I can "honestly" say that i have never heard one word of politics at my local GAA club at any stage .. now Im not saying they are all the same but I can only talk from my experience.. If anything, in my experience, the GAA has been good for keeping people "away" from the more militant side of life..
I have protestant neighbours who used to play underage.. I know thats rare but it does occasionally happen..

I'm not doubting you, but the reality is that it's always the negative images which get portrayed, it's the controversial which makes headlines and in fairness the likes of the OO has the same issue in terms of how it's perceived and reality.

Ireniall

The GAA is not the reason why Ireland have a crap football team.
The GAA is great but it would be just as great with half the number of participants and it would allow the other international sports a chance to recruit. Obviously there is little can be done about it now. It's an accident of history.

belfast1981

Given a large number of people from NI support the Republic, and have Irish citizenship it is pretty clear why the BBC cover it. Don't see any issue with it. I see it in exactly the same way they cover England, Scotland and Wales.

The 5 nations are all connected in these two small islands.

AhNowStop

I'm not doubting you, but the reality is that it's always the negative images which get portrayed, it's the controversial which makes headlines and in fairness the likes of the OO has the same issue in terms of how it's perceived and reality.
I can’t see much correlation between the GAA and the OO but I realise that this is often presented as such by unionists ....

The old “IRA at play” is a common theme by “some” unionists trying to demean the GAA

Se0samh

Given a large number of people from NI support the Republic, and have Irish citizenship it is pretty clear why the BBC cover it. Don't see any issue with it. I see it in exactly the same way they cover England, Scotland and Wales.

If you had replaced the word nations with associations, I would have given your post a like, as it is I agree with everything else in it...

belfast1981

HAHA I said nations because for some reason the old 5 nations rugby tournament has been in my head all day since I was talking to a friend about the addition of Italy years ago.

Mickeymac

Thank you Bel for addressing the OP, everyone knows that half the population of NE Ireland support the ROI soccer team, BBC are recognising the need for equalty in their broadcasting, the more this is practiced by others, particularly political leaders maybe Joe Public might say to themselves "this equality and parity of esteem stuff does not threaten me in any way"

Mickeymac

I can’t see much correlation between the GAA and the OO but I realise that this is often presented as such by unionists ....

The old “IRA at play” is a common theme by “some” unionists trying to demean the GAA

Sadly those who pedalled such sh1t were fierce opponents of the peace process.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom