BBC radio 4 this morning

McTell

Twitter
No
A londoner has just told me and I caught the last 20 mins. Lots of interviews here on how brexit will affect us.

petaljam

A londoner has just told me and I caught the last 20 mins. Lots of interviews here on how brexit will affect us.

Yes I've been listening to this. There's still a lot of "Why won't the Irish realise that they need a deal more than we do?" that was left unchallenged - but I suppose that wasn't the nature of the programme, it was more about giving British listeners a run-down of various views within Ireland, north and south, and not an investigative documentary nor a debate.

Who was the ex FF guy at the end (I missed his name) who seemed to be saying that the EU was being intransigent over Downing St's latest offer and was ignoring Ireland's needs?

McTell

Twitter
No
It's important that they see "Murphy" as more than a troublemaker.

But obvi its also an issue as to why the EU rules - text - what the yanks call black ink law - is more important than 30,00-50,000 jobs here.

The basic problem with brexit has been 2 stages, it should all have been wrapped up in one deal. Trade plus law plus cash.

If the EU can do free trade deals with ecuador and turkey, then why not with britain? Because the officials mind that the second biggest net donor is leaving.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Why should the EU make any effort at all to negotiate with Westminster, either now, tomorrow or next year on anything? All they'll have to do to find out the UKs position is ring the US State Department, where Washington intends to house 'unchained Britain'.

ProsandCons

Who was the lad "Paschale Donahugh" as the Reporter called him three times, that was being interviewed ?

He sounded a lot like our Minister for Finance when he spoke, but he must have been someone else !!!!!!!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Probably been listening to Joris Bohnson, the immigrant of Turkish cultural background... :)

Emily Davison

I listen to BBC 5 Live every morning. It's on very early. Truly excellent radio. They are very even handed on this whole Brexit thing I find. Helped by the fact that you have Scottish and half Irish presenters who react calmly at all times. England would be a splended country if they were run by them I've often thought. They are what I consider the best of British. Compared to what a circus it is in Westminister.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
They do provide great radio, the Beeb, it has to be said. I still tend to like listening to matches on the radio rather than going somewhere to see it on television. There's something otherworldly about radio that I like as a medium. It isn't in your face or grabbing for your attention with cheap flashes of colour and visual tricks and you can do something else while listening to it.

I'm even further out on the rope Emily and have BBC Radio 6 on as standard on my dial. They have great guest presenters and I like the way they mix up clasic tracks with new indie releases on the music side, and Radio 6 is very good at securing interesting guest slots. Cillian Murphy did a cracking series of shows for them, likewise Iggy Pop and I believe I caught the end of an ad which sounds like they may have Alan Moore on for a few shows starting from tomorrow (didn't hear the full ad so will have to check). They still have Cerys Matthews on Sundays which is always a good show.

The news and information side on BBC Radio is excellent. From Radio 4 out to Radio 6 is first class stuff, in my opinion.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Why should the EU make any effort at all to negotiate with Westminster, either now, tomorrow or next year on anything? All they'll have to do to find out the UKs position is ring the US State Department, where Washington intends to house 'unchained Britain'.
You see a sane and agreeable post like your post on the pleasures of radio (especially the BBC) and then you go all unhinged when the topic goes to Brexit. For God's sake: Why would the EU make any effort? Why would the EU *not* make any effort? How about the repercussions on the Irish economy? How about it being the 2x4 that breaks the European car industry (already teetering). How about because a deal will make everyone's life better than it might otherwise be?

The level of too much Brexit commentary on here is like a football game: Boo! Hiss! Yay!

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I've been listening to Radio 4 since I was a child. Huddled in bed with the radio tuned to 196 long wave on the East coast of Ireland listening into "Cromity, Faroes, Irish Sea" as winter storms crashed outside. It's comedy was unbelievably good in the early 90's.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You see a sane and agreeable post like your post on the pleasures of radio (especially the BBC) and then you go all unhinged when the topic goes to Brexit. For God's sake: Why would the EU make any effort? Why would the EU *not* make any effort? How about the repercussions on the Irish economy? How about it being the 2x4 that breaks the European car industry (already teetering). How about because a deal will make everyone's life better than it might otherwise be?

The level of too much Brexit commentary on here is like a football game: Boo! Hiss! Yay!
I don't think it is right to say I've been 'unhinged' on the subject of Brexit. The only 'unhinged' people in that debate are those leading it in Westminster. Bear in mind the only thing they have in the locker is dreams of restoring a yesterday, a day where the view is somewhat tinged by nostalgia for a Britain that never was.

Unless they are thinking of going back to steam-driven railway and I've never been convinced that the way to deal with tomorrow's problems in our world is to reach into the past, put a jute sack over one's head and pretend like it is the 1950s.

And that is the actual policy espoused by people like Rees-Mogg who see public administration as a chance to play with an old train set.

Emily Davison

And you don’t think the Brexiter in chief, Dominic Cummings, is unhinged!

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I don't think it is right to say I've been 'unhinged' on the subject of Brexit. The only 'unhinged' people in that debate are those leading it in Westminster. Bear in mind the only thing they have in the locker is dreams of restoring a yesterday, a day where the view is somewhat tinged by nostalgia for a Britain that never was.

Unless they are thinking of going back to steam-driven railway and I've never been convinced that the way to deal with tomorrow's problems in our world is to reach into the past, put a jute sack over one's head and pretend like it is the 1950s.

And that is the actual policy espoused by people like Rees-Mogg who see public administration as a chance to play with an old train set.
Q.E.D. This is unserious stuff.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
No, I don't. I think he's someone who genuinely believes the UK will fare better, long term outside the EU and is working towards that end.

Emily Davison

No, I don't. I think he's someone who genuinely believes the UK will fare better, long term outside the EU and is working towards that end.
With the likes of bonking Boris, stab in the back Gove, Nannied Rees Mogg and Patel threatening Ireland with food shortages the UK is being led into the land of Nirvana all right.

You have zero basis for ascribing those motives to Dominic Cummings. He just likes chaos. And is gloating in his power.

McTell

Twitter
No

Unhinged also in the sense that all their other "spads" used to want a job in brussels. But he is a "chap" who used the internet as a disruptor.

Let's face it, even if we don't like it, millions of the former "working class" in the north of england looked at the eu, and the men in shiny suits going in and out of shiny buildings, and felt ripped off big time.

Cummings got on to that wave, is all.

shiel

Cummings is a Brexiteer.

Brexiteers are part of a post- imperial group of English people who regard the rest of Europe with contempt.

They governed a quarter the population of the globe.

They won two world wars.

They are a nuclear power and member of the security council of the UN.

People like for example the Estonians or indeed former colonial underling Paddy are not equal citizens.

For that type of Brexiteer the motto is dismantle the EU and tear up the Good Friday Agreement.

For Brexiteers the motto is let the lower orders put up with the consequences.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Cummings is a Brexiteer.

Brexiteers are part of a post- imperial group of English people who regard the rest of Europe with contempt.

They governed a quarter the population of the globe.

They won two world wars.

They are a nuclear power and member of the security council of the UN.

People like for example the Estonians or indeed former colonial underling Paddy are not equal citizens.

For that type of Brexiteer the motto is dismantle the EU and tear up the Good Friday Agreement.

For Brexiteers the motto is let the lower orders put up with the consequences.
The claim regarding the GFA is pure evidence-free opinion. The rest of it is anti-English cliché. This is not serious discussion. It's just venting prejudice.

shiel

The claim regarding the GFA is pure evidence-free opinion. The rest of it is anti-English cliché. This is not serious discussion. It's just venting prejudice.
Ireland's defence of its Brexit position within the EU is very important since the EU is the most advanced effort at international cooperation in the world in a continent which experienced centuries of imperialist/totalitarian wars.

The vote for Brexit is, on the contrary, a vote to tear up an agreement signed with nearly thirty European democracies involving cooperating in matters of mutual interest including a free market of five hundred million people.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The problem is that he has never elucidated why. The entire thing is a dogwhistle at a much ignored constituency for 50 years since the 1970s and consists as far as I can see upon an Enid Blyton style view of a past, much of which is fiction.

The past is always glorified in a way as each generation further away from the social surroundings of the time acquire newer and smarter rose tinted glasses.

The unification of that dynamic among the Enid Blyton school of historical thought with the resentment of white van man at perceptions of his place in his own society have been a potent mix, but someone somewhere was always going to tap into what the Sun calls the white van man constituency disregarded by British traditional party politics for a generation.

Brexiteers have successfully managed to elucidate their fears across this constituency and utilised it. The Tories always have a blind spot, despite their revered magdalane Margaret Thatcher having shown them how to secure such a vote back in the 1980s. Tories get blindsided by social snobbery, that snobbery being a known handicap of theirs in perception of the society around them whereas Labour have their own blind spot with their late night college beer session view of society.

The Lib Dems occasionally have reason to be grateful for these blind-spots in the Tory and Labour parties, sometimes even to the point of giving them a view from minority party in coalition government.

But technically if the Tories and Labour were actually in touch with the society around them then the Lib-Dems would cease to exist. You can always tell how distant Labour and the Tories are from the society around them. It is visible in the Lib Dem national election vote.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies