• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

BBC Reports UK cosmologist Prof Stephen Hawking joins academic Boycott of Apartheid Israel.

Airwave

Now that an Academic of Hawking status has joined the Boycott ,is the BDS campaign unstoppable ? I mean the cant very well accuse Hawkins of being Anti Semitic ?that would be a step to far, even for them.The sporting and cultural boycott of the old Apartheid South Africa had a positive effect in ending that regimes racist rule of the countries majority ,hopefully this gesture will go some way towards ending the Palestinian nightmare.

BBC News - Prof Stephen Hawking 'boycotts' major Israel conference

chriskavo

Absolutely fantastic news, to have a man of the standing and intellectual calibre of Stephen Hawking supporting this boycott can only be good for the BDS campaign.

Thanks for posting this and making my day!

Little_Korean

Now that an Academic of Hawking status has joined the Boycott ,is the BDS campaign unstoppable ? I mean the cant very well accuse Hawkins of being Anti Semitic ?that would be a step to far, even for them.The sporting and cultural boycott of the old Apartheid South Africa had a positive effect in ending that regimes racist rule of the countries majority ,hopefully this gesture will go some way towards ending the Palestinian nightmare.

BBC News - Prof Stephen Hawking 'boycotts' major Israel conference
Has he issued a statement in regards to it?

james toney

Fair play to him,Hawking's decision marks another victory in the campaign for boycott, divestment and sanctions targeting Israeli academic institutions.
Have they started mocking his medical condition yet?

Little_Korean

Credit to the man's achievements but he must be a fool to think not turning up for events is going to impact Israel or the Middle East in any way.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Any chance he has withdrawn because he is taking up the role of Manchester United's manager?

Trampas

Fair play to him,Hawking's decision marks another victory in the campaign for boycott, divestment and sanctions targeting Israeli academic institutions.

I suppose you people need to take your little "victories" wherever you can get them. Speaking of "targeting"......anything to say about the deliberate targeting of Israeli civilians by rocket fire from Gaza.

Ryan Tubbs

Oh dear.

There go my two Hawking books onto Abebooks.co.uk, with the proceeds to be given to Holocaust Education Trust Ireland.

(I had initially thought of the bin, but that would be a bit of a waste I think)

Bill

I find the Hartle-Hawking proposal unsatisfactory, there I said it.

Airwave

Has he issued a statement in regards to it?
BRICUP | British Committee for Universities for Palestine

Stephen Hawking declines invitation to attend Israeli conference

We understand that Professor Stephen Hawking has declined his invitation to attend the Israeli Presidential Conference Facing Tomorrow 2013, due to take place in Jerusalem on 18-20 June. This is his independent decision to respect the boycott, based upon his knowledge of Palestine, and on the unanimous advice of his own academic contacts there.

UPDATE 8 May: The statement above has been issued with the specific endorsement of Professor Hawking's office. His staff sent us the following message on 7 May "Just spoken to Tim [Tim Holt, Acting Director of Communications for Cambridge University] and we are both in agreement with the quote - and as you say - sensible to get this out rather than a lot of differing opinions." We have seen the letter that Professor Hawking sent to the Jerusalem organisers giving his clear reasons for not attending and are seeking his permission to release the letter but will not do so until we have his approval. We regret the misinformation being circulated about this matter.

Shqiptar

"Professor Hawking will not be attending the conference in Israel in June for health reasons. His doctors have advised against him flying," a university spokesman said in an email.

Earlier, the same spokesman reported that Hawking had approved a statement posted by the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine, which said he had decided to boycott the event "based upon his knowledge of Palestine".

Asked about the change, the spokesman said: "I was mistaken. It was not approved by Professor Hawking."
Confusion as Hawking pulls out of Israeli conference | Reuters

This is a sinister development. It seems someone was misrepresenting the position of a vulnerable person whose difficulties with communication are well documented. :mad:

cnocpm

Well, he must be one if he thinks the BDs movement is going to accomplish a damn thing. Even Normal Finkelstein backed away when he saw them for what they were, a 'cult.'
Sure I know, a bigger fool you couldn't meet, been a fool all his life,a fool I tell ya.

james5001

I suppose you people need to take your little "victories" wherever you can get them. Speaking of "targeting"......anything to say about the deliberate targeting of Israeli civilians by rocket fire from Gaza.
Whataboutery?

Little_Korean

Sure I know, a bigger fool you couldn't meet, been a fool all his life,a fool I tell ya.
That's not much of a response.

Just because he's a genius in some fields doesn't mean he's going to be one in everything.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies