BBC Rivers of Blood Speech

gerhard dengler

This weekend 50 years ago, a British government minister, delivered a seismic speech on the issue of immigration, race relations and the future.

Enoch Powell was a hugely successful politician. But he opposed immigration to England by populations from their colonies.

An intellectual, some say he was a genius, Powell's speech was referred to as the "Rivers of Blood " speech because he forecast that if immigration continued such numbers that this influx would "give the black man the whip hand over the white man" in the future.

Attacking the government’s immigration policy as “mad”, Powell called for a reduction in the number of arrivals and a policy to encourage those already in the UK to return to their country of origin. He compared enacting the bill with “throwing a match on gunpowder”.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/apr/12/bbc-to-air-reading-of-enoch-powells-rivers-of-blood-speech

A full recording of Powell's speech has never been broadcast in England by the BBC or any other media outlet.

This weekend, BBC radio 4 has decided to broadcast the speech and to do a follow up segment discussing the speech

The government of the day, decided to sack Powell from his job as minister and he never again scaled the political heights that he might have otherwise enjoyed.

There is a lot of controversy over the Beeb decision to broadcast the speech, for the first time, 50 years after it was first orated.

Is the BBC decision the correct one? if it is, or isn't, the right decision can you give reasons as to your view?

This is the full speech as spoken by an actor

[video=youtube;3MtIF6tw-Io]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtIF6tw-Io[/video]

Strawberry

50 years later his prediction hasn't come true so maybe its time for his fans to admit he was wrong.

MsDaisyC

I like that they're getting Emperor Palpatine to read it... Give it the pathos it deserves.

Drogheda445

What many self-proclaimed nationalists on here seem to readily forget about Enoch Powell was his support for unionism and loyalism. He was no friend of Irish nationalism. He famously denounced the Anglo-Irish Agreement as "treason" in the House of Commons in language that wouldn't have sounded out of place in 1912. He also believed that the United States (he was always strongly anti-American) supported Irish unity in order to get it into NATO.

Here's a clip of him addressing an Ulster Unionist rally in the early 70s. He served as a UUP MP for more than 12 years.

[video=youtube;_t-e_HmvBCI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t-e_HmvBCI[/video]

Strawberry

What many self-proclaimed nationalists on here seem to readily forget about Enoch Powell was his support for unionism and loyalism. He was no friend of Irish nationalism. He famously denounced the Anglo-Irish Agreement as "treason" in the House of Commons in language that wouldn't have sounded out of place in 1912. He also believed that the United States (he was always strongly anti-American) supported Irish unity in order to get it into NATO.

Here's a clip of him addressing an Ulster Unionist rally in the early 70s. He served as a UUP MP for more than 12 years.

Yes, ironically he was worried that black immigrants would cause rivers of blood while avidly supporting a group of white Christians who really were about to cause rivers of blood.

razorblade

And how right he was terrorism is on the rise globally, ghettos are prominent barriers erected across cities in around Europe, women being encouraged to form safe spaces for fear of being sexually assaulted, high unemployment levels and lack of integration within certain communities, ethnic gangs taking over parts of major cities, if anything I suspect Powell grossly underestimated the issues a future multicultural society would be facing its an absolute nightmare.

Strawberry

And how right he was terrorism is on the rise globally, ghettos are prominent barriers erected across cities in around Europe, women being encouraged to form safe spaces for fear of being sexually assaulted, high unemployment levels and lack of integration within certain communities, ethnic gangs taking over parts of major cities, if anything I suspect Powell grossly underestimated the issues a future multicultural society would be facing its an absolute nightmare.
You should educate yourself a bit. Powell encouraged immigration to Britain from the Indian sub continent, he wasn't worried about muslims. It was the Afro Carribbeans he didn't like.

D

Deleted member 45466

To be fair™ I think the safe space phenomena is simply an example of neo-aristocrats (not necessarily pinko liberal) attempting to assuage their boredom with some new "challenges".

razorblade

Its irrelevant how he regarded Irish republicanism he was completely spot on about what the future of multiculturalism would bring to the shores just look at innocent people being slaughtered on the streets in the name of a disgusting child molesting prophet.

GDPR

You should educate yourself a bit. Powell encouraged immigration to Britain from the Indian sub continent, he wasn't worried about muslims. It was the Afro Carribbeans he didn't like.
Educate themselves? They worship a demented English fraud from half a century ago. They are cultists and weirdos.

DexterGreen22

It's perfectly natural that we want our own ethnic group to remain the majority in our own nation. Powell knew it in 1968, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Koreans and the Indians know it today.

Only in the West is this view controversial.

I'm no Unionist but I respect Powell for fighting in the best interests of his nation. He would not have been meekly led by neocons in the US. If Powell was PM in 2003 instead of Blair maybe he wouldn't have got the UK involved in the war in Iraq.

I suspect the liberal US influence, would have been diminished in Europe had he been leader of the Tory Party, there would have been a more independent approach to the Middle East from the uk.

Imagine Powell as PM at the same time as Obama was President, the UK has North Sea oil and gas and a steady supply from Russia, Powell might be thinking. is a pipe line war in Syria in my best interest, or simply in the best best interest of Neocons in Washington and acted accordingly i.e told Obama to F off.

GDPR

It's perfectly natural that we want our own ethnic group to remain the majority in our own nation. Powell knew it in 1968, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Koreans and the Indians know it today.

Only in the West is this view controversial.

I'm no Unionist but I respect Powell for fighting in the best interests of his nation. He would not have been meekly led by neocons in the US. If Powell was PM in 2003 instead of Blair maybe he wouldn't have got the UK involved in the war in Iraq.

I suspect the liberal US influence, would have been diminished in Europe had he been leader of the Tory Party, there would have been a more independent approach to the Middle East from the uk.

Imagine Powell as PM at the same time as Obama was President, the UK has North Sea oil and gas and a steady supply from Russia, Powell might be thinking. is a pipe line war in Syria in my best interest, or simply in the best best interest of Neocons in Washington and acted accordingly i.e told Obama to F off.
West Brit.

Buchaill Dana

Wrong. He more than anyone opened the door for Muslims. It was the blacks and only the blacks he objected to.

Drogheda445

Its irrelevant how he regarded Irish republicanism he was completely spot on about what the future of multiculturalism would bring to the shores just look at innocent people being slaughtered on the streets in the name of a disgusting child molesting prophet.
I just find it ironic that people like you would applaud Powell, a figure who represented a class of quasi-imperialist politicians that often regarded Irish nationalism and independence with contempt. The sort of people that Farage represents nowadays, and yet you still see self-proclaimed Irish alt-right nationalists continue to court them and seek their endorsement.

D

Deleted member 45466

I just find it ironic that people like you would applaud Powell, a figure who represented a class of quasi-imperialist politicians that often regarded Irish nationalism and independence with contempt. The sort of people that Farage represents nowadays, and yet you still see self-proclaimed Irish alt-right nationalists continue to court them and seek their endorsement.
Did you miss the financial crisis?

seanof

Yes, ironically he was worried that black immigrants would cause rivers of blood while avidly supporting a group of white Christians who really were about to cause rivers of blood.
To whom do you refer?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies