BBC : Use of language on historical events.

McSlaggart

"In three months of fighting at Passchendaele in Belgium, half a million Allied and German soldiers were killed, wounded or went missing."

Passchendaele ceremony: Highlights - BBC News

The BBC have a habit of using "German" {The Central Powers} yet refer to "their" side as "Allied"

Is this correct or is it a sign of institutional bias?

Catalpast

"In three months of fighting at Passchendaele in Belgium, half a million Allied and German soldiers were killed, wounded or went missing."

The BBC have a habit of using "German" {The Central Powers} yet refer to "their" side as "Allied"

Yes - the German Army was drawn from one Country

The forces under British control were drawn from a number of different countries

ruamruam

Would you rather they referred to the Allies as British? :cool:
I was listening to BBC radio 4 a few nights ago and it was amazing to hear some British historian (can't remember his name) gloss over the tragic loss of human life. The interviewer mentioned the huge loss of life in the battle and the historian quickly glossed over this and went on to say it was not a complete military defeat for the British.

rainmaker

Administrator

You must rise very early to spend so much time researching a country that is supposedly so unimportant, in order to find the most trivial & mundane things to quibble about imaginable, and start threads to tell everyone else about them.

I genuinely admire your dedication.

Catalpast

I was listening to BBC radio 4 a few nights ago and it was amazing to hear some British historian (can't remember his name) gloss over the tragic loss of human life. The interviewer mentioned the huge loss of life in the battle and the historian quickly glossed over this and went on to say it was not a complete military defeat for the British.
It made the Germans take casualties and expend resources that the Allies could replace better than Berlin

- classic War of Attrition....

McSlaggart

Would you rather they referred to the Allies as British? :cool:
Personally I would use the "The Central Powers"

Germany and Britian was natural Allies and how they ended up fighting 2 world wars (more of one war with a pause) against each other is a twist of history.

McSlaggart

You must rise very early to spend so much time researching a country that is supposedly so unimportant, in order to find the most trivial & mundane things to quibble about imaginable, and start threads to tell everyone else about them.

I like the BBC? Austria-Hungary was an important factor in the start of that war and more importantly for the British it hides the fact how close the British was with the Germans before the war.

Niall996

Personally I would use the "The Central Powers"

Germany and Britian was natural Allies and how they ended up fighting 2 world wars (more of one war with a pause) against each other is a twist of history.
Well no one knows what the first war was about anyway, least of all the poor cannon fodder sent out to die in it and the the second one over Poland? Poland? Who had already begun implementing their own version of Jewish persecution legislation etc. Baffling.

parentheses

I like the BBC? Austria-Hungary was an important factor in the start of that war and more importantly for the British it hides the fact how close the British was with the Germans before the war.

The British had been lining up the Germans for a good kicking for a long time prior to the war.

Clanrickard

Never ever underestimate the republobores single mindedness.

McSlaggart

Never ever underestimate the republobores single mindedness.
It important that the BBC reflect a proper historical narrative in its telling of the mass waste of WW1. This was a war in which the start owed more to political incompetence than cunning planning by one state. To simplify to the point of a lie that the enemy was somehow "Germany" would needed to have been matched with [as someone pointed out] British empire. As though the event was some great football match.

Cai

There is most certainly institutional bias in the BBC - but this isn't an example of it.

When you think about it the word 'Russian' is routinely used to describe dozens of nationalities routinely in the UK & well beyond the UK - Ireland included I'd guess.

McSlaggart

When you think about it the word 'Russian' is routinely used to describe dozens of nationalities routinely in the UK & well beyond the UK - Ireland included I'd guess.
Russia is country made up of a dozens of nationalities. I agree that he same could have been said of the old Russia = Soviet Union and its puppet states.

In WW1 it is majorly different in that the Austria Hungarian empire was massive and even the starting point for the war. Hitler was Austrian and when he got to power was happy to have a rematch.

statsman

Russia is country made up of a dozens of nationalities. I agree that he same could have been said of the old Russia = Soviet Union and its puppet states.

In WW1 it is majorly different in that the Austria Hungarian empire was massive and even the starting point for the war. Hitler was Austrian and when he got to power was happy to have a rematch.
And German was a nationality made up of a number of countries.

New Threads

Most Replies