BBC's Fergal Keane to present six-hour television series on Ireland's history

Catalpa

The BBC's Fergal Keane is to write and present the first major TV series about the history of Ireland in nearly 30 years.

A multi-million-euro collaboration between BBC and RTE, the story will be told in six hour-long episodes, airing on both broadcasters during 2011 and involving some of Ireland's top documentary makers.

In an interview with the Sunday Tribune, Keane (48) said : "In documentary terms this is the biggest thing I have ever taken on. I do feel a responsibility to get it right. I see it as a chance to bring two things together, my passion for Irish history and everything I have experienced in conflict over the last 25 years."

Six hours to me isn't enough IMO

- but while skeptical I wish him the best because he will need all the luck he can get .:D

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
Nice to know RTE has the dosh for "multi-million" expendtidures on 6 hours of programming.
They wont' need the Licence fee next year then, we can cancel it.

fergalr

He'll probably attack six different themes, rather than a simple chronology. Sounds great.

joel

The BBC's Fergal Keane is to write and present the first major TV series about the history of Ireland in nearly 30 years.

A multi-million-euro collaboration between BBC and RTE, the story will be told in six hour-long episodes, airing on both broadcasters during 2011 and involving some of Ireland's top documentary makers.

In an interview with the Sunday Tribune, Keane (48) said : "In documentary terms this is the biggest thing I have ever taken on. I do feel a responsibility to get it right. I see it as a chance to bring two things together, my passion for Irish history and everything I have experienced in conflict over the last 25 years."

Six hours to me isn't enough IMO

- but while skeptical I wish him the best because he will need all the luck he can get .:D

BBC man - say no more. Probably the biggest West Brit in existence.

TommyO'Brien

BBC man - say no more. Probably the biggest West Brit in existence.
The usual dumb post from the usual dumb poster.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Not sure what this is likely to achieve that wasn't covered recently in "Seven Ages", unless it goes back before the creation of the state.

fergalr

Not sure what this is likely to achieve that wasn't covered recently in "Seven Ages", unless it goes back before the creation of the state.
Well six shows about the last thirty years is going to be a little more in-depth than seven shows about the last seventy.

lapsedmethodist

Was " Seven Ages " shown on BBC ?
Because I think it's a good idea to
give the British a history lesson
outside their dates and kings approach.

Keith-M

Website
Well six shows about the last thirty years is going to be a little more in-depth than seven shows about the last seventy.
Not necessarily, "Seven Ages" concentrated on this country only, because Keane's series involves the BBC, it's likely to include an equal amount of focus on Northern Ireland.

fergalr

Not necessarily, "Seven Ages" concentrated on this country only, because Keane's series involves the BBC, it's likely to include an equal amount of focus on Northern Ireland.
Those benighted six counties have been a pretty critical part of the history of our state for at least the first two of the last three decades, wouldn't you agree?

fergalr

I hope he does at least one on Ireland pre 1169 AD

- if he doesn't its going to skew all the rest....
Well that's not really as journalistic. Maybe we could motivate RTE to cross the road to UCD and their excellent School of History for something like that.

Lefronde

Just as long as its not the same old propaganda stories told to us as school children. Will we have a reprise of 1798, 1848, 1867, 1916, 1922? Or will the deal with anything other than:

The Battle of the Boyne (when Aughrim was more decisive)
The Act of Union (Will they deal with Molyneaux, Lucas, Flood and Grattan and the patriot movement that existed before and after the United Irishman)
Catholic Emancipation (Not that most of the penal laws were discarded with earlier matters, but it would be historically correct to point this out)
The Great Famine (nice to mention there were famines elsewhere in Europe at the same time, but not often mentioned; and famines before.
The Land Wars (or tenants who wouldn't pay their rents to catholic Irish landlords who by the 1870's were in the majority.... come to think of it, nothing has really changed on this one since the PRTB was set up)
Parnell getting the leg over (if only they could have foreseen sylvio burlesconi back then)

It would be great if they went beyond "the auld 800 years of oppression sh1te" that An Phoblacht still spews out, and idiots still swallow (yes you can fool an idiot all of the time as An Phoblacht has proved)

Will they mention that many of the northern presbyterians (otherwise known as loyalists in some quarters were natives who converted - how else could you have a shankill butcher called Lenny Murphy?)

Irish history is too complex to do in six hours; and the "left school at 14 brigade" will still believe the old propaganda that passed for education in Ireland:rolleyes:

Garibaldy

I would be astounded if this was just on the last thirty years, or the last century. You wouldn't put that amount of cash into something so narrowly focused.

fergalr

That's a busy road

- they might get run over by the 46A on the way back! :D
One southside institution run over by another. Maybe they can borrow George Lee's segway.

Catalpa

Just as long as its not the same old propaganda stories told to us as school children. Will we have a reprise of 1798, 1848, 1867, 1916, 1922? Or will the deal with anything other than:

The Battle of the Boyne (when Aughrim was more decisive)
The Act of Union (Will they deal with Molyneaux, Lucas, Flood and Grattan and the patriot movement that existed before and after the United Irishman)
Catholic Emancipation (Not that most of the penal laws were discarded with earlier matters, but it would be historically correct to point this out)
The Great Famine (nice to mention there were famines elsewhere in Europe at the same time, but not often mentioned; and famines before.
The Land Wars (or tenants who wouldn't pay their rents to catholic Irish landlords who by the 1870's were in the majority.... come to think of it, nothing has really changed on this one since the PRTB was set up)
Parnell getting the leg over (if only they could have foreseen sylvio burlesconi back then)

It would be great if they went beyond "the auld 800 years of oppression sh1te" that An Phoblacht still spews out, and idiots still swallow (yes you can fool an idiot all of the time as An Phoblacht has proved)

Will they mention that many of the northern presbyterians (otherwise known as loyalists in some quarters were natives who converted - how else could you have a shankill butcher called Lenny Murphy?)

Irish history is too complex to do in six hours; and the "left school at 14 brigade" will still believe the old propaganda that passed for education in Ireland:rolleyes:
Lenny Murphy was Convert? :shock:

Keith-M

Website
Those benighted six counties have been a pretty critical part of the history of our state for at least the first two of the last three decades, wouldn't you agree?
I wouldn't say critcal, I would say significant. This isn't semantics. If Northern Ireland was "critical" to this country, the outcome of history in this country would have defined by what happened in N.I., it clearly wasn't.

fergalr

I wouldn't say critcal, I would say significant. This isn't semantics. If Northern Ireland was "critical" to this country, the outcome of history in this country would have defined by what happened in N.I., it clearly wasn't.
I think in the 1970s and 80s that appeared to be very much the case. Garret Fitzgerald said about two years ago that in his view the stability of the state was very much in question at that time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies