"Be polite,be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

The Field Marshal

The thread title quote is from the current US Sec of Defense General James Mattis nicknamed "Mad Dog".

After the president the secretary of defense holds the most power over the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Defense
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Mattis

I would like to start a discussion on what appears to me to be an unhealthy heavy reliance by the US administration on military personnel to guide its general policy.

General Mattis,s quote is striking for the naked paranoia that characterises much of American thought concerning foreign threats and powers.

Are there psychopathic tendencies in General Mattis?
One can understand a certain pugnaciousness and belligerence being part of military turf but statements like the above and
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you phuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis, etc make one really wonder what is going on in America.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/16-most-hair-raising-general-mattis-quotes/340553/

His colleague General Dunford, chairman of joint chiefs of staff is equally paranoid with his totally outdated quote :"Russia presents the greatest threat to our national security".

These are the people now guiding Donal Trump!

[Btw I still have my iodine tablets]

Last edited:

GDPR

Prudence has been known to come out and play. Well according to the Beatles.

The Field Marshal

No. Prudence isn't psychopathy.
You therefore support the notion that a soldier should have a reserve plan to kill everybody he meets?

That is the mindset of the current American sec of defence.

Jim Car

Its not a quote that I would use to judge Mattis on alone. He was widely know as the scholar general, mainly due to the fact he is extremely well read and has a deep understanding of issues beyond simple (if you can call them that) battlefield tactics and strategy. Thats part of the reason he had so much cross party support. That said at the end of the day he was a soldier and such a profession requires certain precautions depending on the area you are operating in which would probably explain that particular quote. Either way he man is very highly regarded on all sides it seems.

The Field Marshal

I'm chuffed that, "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" actually is from Teddy Roosevelt (a letter to Henry L. Sprague, 26th January 1900 — though Teddy claimed it as a "West African proverb").
Roosveldts quote falls within the parameters of normality.

Having a reserve plan to kill everybody you meet does not.

It is both psychotic and paranoid.

Jim Car

You therefore support the notion that a soldier should have a reserve plan to kill everybody he meets?

That particular quote if I'm not mistaken was made to soldiers in Iraq which due to the conditions of the conflict and fighting the type of enemy they were meant that unlike a conventional battlefield anyone of the people they met could potentially be an enemy. The context of the quote is pretty important.

The Field Marshal

Its not a quote that I would use to judge Mattis on alone. He was widely know as the scholar general, mainly due to the fact he is extremely well read and has a deep understanding of issues beyond simple (if you can call them that) battlefield tactics and strategy. Thats part of the reason he had so much cross party support. That said at the end of the day he was a soldier and such a profession requires certain precautions depending on the area you are operating in which would probably explain that particular quote. Either way he man is very highly regarded on all sides it seems.
I hope your estimation is correct.

Poor General Dunford, the top military advisor to the president , still thinks the Russian Commie Reds are Americas biggest threat.

The Field Marshal

That particular quote if I'm not mistaken was made to soldiers in Iraq which due to the conditions of the conflict and fighting the type of enemy they were meant that unlike a conventional battlefield anyone of the people they met could potentially be an enemy. The context of the quote is pretty important.
The quote is idiotic and represents a type of backward simplistic thinking that fails to see value in capturing an enemy or in persuading an enemy that you will ever act honourably.

GDPR

Until I make covenant with someone I make plans for if they try to seriously harm me and I mean seriously and not in some petty way. Look on was on the verge of asking a particularly nasty person on here into covenant and for them to come and spend some time with us but luckily Providence intervened. You cannot be to careful and also people can change and change radically. "Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves."- Matthew 10:16.

Jim Car

The quote is idiotic and represents a type of backward simplistic thinking that fails to see value in capturing an enemy or in persuading an enemy that you will ever act honourably.
You adapt your strategy to the enemy. Taliban were not ones that liked being taken alive in the first place. And the fact is insurgency environments mean by definition anyone could be the enemy.

GDPR

Personally I prefer Littlefinger's advice to Sansa, even though he just wants to get into her knickers.

[video=youtube;EM4rmxH3tbA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4rmxH3tbA[/video]

Windowshopper

The Trump cabinet comes in two distinct types.

1) High corporate power: the idea that government and society should be run like a business in order words corporatism.

2) Military figures: the idea that military people and military values are rule, militarism.

Both betray a fascist mindset in Trump.

The Field Marshal

You adapt your strategy to the enemy.
Killing everyone is not strategy at all , it merely emulates the enemy and reinforces his support in the field.

It is the type of ignorant strategic thinking that prolonged WW2 by at least two years when the Allies sought unconditional surrender and thwarted and neutralised any effective resistence to the Hitler regime.

24th January 1943: Roosevelt calls for ‘Unconditional Surrender’.
A proposition which made any possible early negotiated end to the war out of the question.

Taliban were not ones that liked being taken alive in the first place. And the fact is insurgency environments mean by definition anyone could be the enemy.
That is not in dispute.

The more one examines the calibre of US thinking on military versus political matters the more one is inclined to utter despair.

Dedogs

its sos they can get jobs as cops when they leave the military.... american cops have to get in at least 2 kills before they can go for sargent.... ;);):)

eoghanacht

Sounds like something straight out of a book on psychopathy.

Odyessus

The thread title quote is from the current US Sec of Defense General James Mattis nicknamed "Mad Dog".

After the president the secretary of defense holds the most power over the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Defense
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Mattis

I would like to start a discussion on what appears to me to be an unhealthy heavy reliance by the US administration on military personnel to guide its general policy.

General Mattis,s quote is striking for the naked paranoia that characterises much of American thought concerning foreign threats and powers.

Are there psychopathic tendencies in General Mattis?
One can understand a certain pugnaciousness and belligerence being part of military turf but statements like the above and
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you phuck with me, I'll kill you all"-Mattis, etc make one really wonder what is going on in America.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/16-most-hair-raising-general-mattis-quotes/340553/

His colleague General Dunford, chairman of joint chiefs of staff is equally paranoid with his totally outdated quote :"Russia presents the greatest threat to our national security".

These are the people now guiding Donal Trump!

[Btw I still have my iodine tablets]

"Marines don't know how to spell the word defeat"

The fact that he spelled it right must have been a sheer fluke so. :p

eoghanacht

If the head of the Russian Armed Forces came out with something like that we'd be drowning in faux condemnation.

The Field Marshal

Until I make covenant with someone I make plans for if they try to seriously harm me and I mean seriously and not in some petty way. Look on was on the verge of asking a particularly nasty person on here into covenant and for them to come and spend some time with us but luckily Providence intervened. You cannot be to careful and also people can change and change radically. "Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves."- Matthew 10:16.
I do not know what your post means at all.

If you have a view on military/political matters as they pertain to the current Trump cabinet perhaps you might post it.?

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies