• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Beal Na mBlath

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
who are ye commemorating ?

A terrorist ?

A man who was a member of a secret organisation, whose aim was to overthrow a legitimate government ?

A man who sent out other men to shoot men in their beds in cold blood, as they lay beside their wives, girlfriends and mistresses ?

A member of Sinn Fein ?

Can I come too :lol:

Oldira

I am attending even though I despise the Blueshirts. Poor Mick must spin in his grave every August to be commerated by the party of Concrete Cooney and John Unionist Bruton.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
barthez said:
Sunday 3pm. Oration to be given by Enda Kenny TD.
I'm sure Mick Collins would have loved Enda on his shoulder between 1916-21.

picture the scene...

Mick and Enda, hiding in a roadside dugout ... a noise from the darkness

Mick turns to Enda .."what was that"

Enda responds ... "T'was a knife .. torn from its leather scabbard ... by a wild eyed man .. whose intentions are not good I'm sure ... but who (blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah)"

Enda carries the sentence on for another 10 minutes ... whereupon Collins crawls from the dugout, asks the Tan for the knife as he's lost his will to live ..

and Irish history has changed forever

Ah, but Collins was a better type of 'terrorist'.

He only used fairy dust and powder puffs, and he didn't really mean it anyway.

Not like the modern fellows who bring disgrace on the proud name of killing people to achieve national self determination.

No no, Collins was bigger and better than those fellows who bring disgrace on the great tradition of secret revolutionary organisations that ignore the writ of 'democratic' governments.

Damn, but if we had big Mick here now he'd show them how to kill someone with dignity.

Deep Throat

all ye shinners etc. hated Collins. He was a free-state traitor in ye're eyes. he was airbrushed out of irish history by ye and ye're kind. FG always saw Collins as one of our own. In the hours after collins death in Cork, men like mulcahy, fitzgerald, cosgrave, blythe, met in the mansion house. these were the men who carried on where collins left off. these were the men who went on to put the democratic institutions of this state in place. these were the men who formed Fine Gael. I'll be proud to remember Collins on sunday.

FTA69

all ye shinners etc. hated Collins
I know we did, in fact I'd a hilarious little quip posted earlier but Dave removed it on account of it being inappropriate.

he was airbrushed out of irish history by ye and ye're kind.
"Us and our kind" were the minority in the state DT, your side won the Civil War remember? And as such we had Collins' brand of Catholic Free Statism rammed down our throats for the best part of 80 years. (Of Course De Valera replicated the same scenario).

In the hours after collins death in Cork, men like mulcahy, fitzgerald, cosgrave, blythe, met in the mansion house. these were the men who carried on where collins left off
What? Swearing oaths of allegiance to the crown, raping women and strapping prsioners to landmines?

these were the men who formed Fine Gael. I'll be proud to remember Collins on sunday
Good luck to you, I'll save my time for actual Republicans thanks.

Deep Throat said:
all ye shinners etc. hated Collins. He was a free-state traitor in ye're eyes. he was airbrushed out of irish history by ye and ye're kind. FG always saw Collins as one of our own. In the hours after collins death in Cork, men like mulcahy, fitzgerald, cosgrave, blythe, met in the mansion house. these were the men who carried on where collins left off. these were the men who went on to put the democratic institutions of this state in place. these were the men who formed Fine Gael. I'll be proud to remember Collins on sunday.
So if all shinners hated him why was it that the Collins family asked that Tom Barry give the speech at the Sam Cross monument and not the leader of FG at the time.

We never airbrushed anyone I think you are mistaken shinners with FF and Dev, all the shinners I knew growing up always had respect for Collins but not for that merchant class rabble he had the misfortune to be landed with. I think you might find that a lot of peope in FG have no time for Michael Collins, ask John Bruton or Alan Shatter their opinion.

I hope your proud of everything not just the bits you like

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Deep Throat said:
In your eyes, was sending out men to shoot policemen in their beds beside their wives and gf's, and act of terrorism or not ?

Alliance

rockofcashel said:
In your eyes, was sending out men to shoot policemen in their beds beside their wives and gf's, and act of terrorism or not ?
Is there any doubt about that?

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
rockofcashel said:
Deep Throat said:
Roc, the truth of the comparison of Collins and the old IRA with the modern day lads has always rested more with where they stopped then where they got started.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
KingKane said:
rockofcashel said:
Deep Throat said:
Roc, the truth of the comparison of Collins and the old IRA with the modern day lads has always rested more with where they stopped then where they got started.
Rubbish KK ... the truth in the comparison always rested more one whether "we were for 'em .. or agin 'em"

FG are "for" Collins, and therefore FG have turned they're eyes from what he actually did, and created a hero myth to counterbalance the myth of DeV in FF

Collins still killed people. A lot of people. But he was "the freedom fighter" in the Freedom fighter vs. Terrorist argument.

rover

rockofcashel said:
Collins still killed people. A lot of people. But he was "the freedom fighter" in the Freedom fighter vs. Terrorist argument.
i made the point on another thread that Collins had large scale public support for his actions. adams and Mcguinness had zero support outside of ulster

surely that can't be ignored as a difference?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
rover said:
rockofcashel said:
i made the point on another thread that Collins had large scale public support for his actions. adams and Mcguinness had zero support outside of ulster

surely that can't be ignored as a difference?
had he large scale support in 1916 ?

hiding behind a poster

FTA69 said:
raping women

That's a shameful allegation, with no truth to it, and should be withdrawn. Otherwise we can all just make up allegations about whoever we want, and pin them by extension to their political colleagues.

hiding behind a poster

West Cork and proud said:
I think you might find that a lot of peope in FG have no time for Michael Collins, ask John Bruton or Alan Shatter their opinion.

Firstly,since when did Bruton have no time for Collins? Secondly, since when did 2 people out of 37,000 represent "a lot of people?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies