• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

“Bean an Tí, ballet, bogs, and broadband”

ger12

The shinner had quite the funny bone.
Sinn Féin TD Peadar Tóibín has been most critical of the Government’s expanded Department of Arts, Heritage, Gaeltacht, Regional Development and Rural Affairs calling it a “Frankenstein” department which covers the “Bean an Tí, ballet, bogs, and broadband”.

It seems the arts section has lost 27 per cent of its budget, while the budget for heritage had been cut by 60 per cent. Jaysas, I thought we had money to spend Mr Noonan Sir.

Tóibín also said the Governments arts budget was one-fifth of the European average.
Does anyone care I wonder ...

Government has created a

Lara2

I care that the arts budget has been cut or do I really? As an artist, the Arts Council has never been of benefit to me. Or many other artists. 86% of visual artists earn less than 10,000 a year and most have to work full time in another area to sustain themselves.
The Arts Council give grants to all sectors of the arts and some travel bursaries to individual artists, ie, you can apply and they'll pay your flight for a one-off exhibition somewhere in Europe or even America if you give them a detailed reason why you want to go to the exhibition, how it will be of benefit to your work as an artist, write up a diary of your few days there, and when you return, give a full report of how you benefited from the whole experience of your visit. Fúck that, I'd prefer to get vouchers for some paint or something useful.

The Arts Council is up it's own arse. It's a clique.

GDPR

I care that the arts budget has been cut or do I really? As an artist, the Arts Council has never been of benefit to me. Or many other artists. 86% of visual artists earn less than 10,000 a year and most have to work full time in another area to sustain themselves.
The Arts Council give grants to all sectors of the arts and some travel bursaries to individual artists, ie, you can apply and they'll pay your flight for a one-off exhibition somewhere in Europe or even America if you give them a detailed reason why you want to go to the exhibition, how it will be of benefit to your work as an artist, write up a diary of your few days there, and when you return, give a full report of how you benefited from the whole experience of your visit. Fúck that, I'd prefer to get vouchers for some paint or something useful.

The crapness of public sculpture of recent years should be commented on. It is encapsulated in the Spire which says absolutely nothing, good, bad or indifferent. I have wide tastes in art but I want it to communicate something at least.

Lara2

The crapness of public sculpture of recent years should be commented on. It is encapsulated in the Spire which says absolutely nothing, good, bad or indifferent. I have wide tastes in art but I want it to communicate something at least.
There was a great exhibition (10 years ago nearly to the day) of giant hares by Barry Flanagan in O'Connell St and IMMA. An amazing sight to see down our main thoroughfare, though it has to be noted that he was born in Prestatyn, North Wales and not Ireland:

Dublin_ Barry Flanagan's Hares on O'Connell Street

See also:https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/sep/01/barry-flanagan-obituary

Sadly, the exhibition was only temporary. Barry Flanagan died in 2009 and nothing has been as interesting since.
The Spire doesn't age well and it's pointless :))), serving no purpose. I would have preferred some kind of viewing platform to see the the city.

Boy M5

With such challenges it is fortunate that we have such an intelligent, articulate & competent minister in charge.

[video=youtube;nSByA_ZxJso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSByA_ZxJso[/video]

Lara2

I like the big ball of road signage balanced on a slope on the Naas Road:

Stentor

The best street art in Dublin is commando.

Stentor

With such challenges it is fortunate that we have such an intelligent, articulate & competent minister in charge.

[video=youtube;nSByA_ZxJso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSByA_ZxJso[/video]
Nice pearl necklace.

Yer one beside her is clearly green with envy.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I really like those hares. Can't be long now till the new golden era dawns and there's a massive Bronze Badger With Clockwork Moving Ears up on Cruachán Aigle.

In fact the Arts Council should be made spend all next year's budget on it.

im axeled

There was a great exhibition (10 years ago nearly to the day) of giant hares by Barry Flanagan in O'Connell St and IMMA. An amazing sight to see down our main thoroughfare, though it has to be noted that he was born in Prestatyn, North Wales and not Ireland:

Dublin_ Barry Flanagan's Hares on O'Connell Street

See also:https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/sep/01/barry-flanagan-obituary

Sadly, the exhibition was only temporary. Barry Flanagan died in 2009 and nothing has been as interesting since.
The Spire doesn't age well and it's pointless :))), serving no purpose. I would have preferred some kind of viewing platform to see the the city.
it would serve a purpose if its perpretor was tried and convicted, then sentenced to being sat in its tip, for damage done to this country

RodShaft

I like the big ball of road signage balanced on a slope on the Naas Road:

Me too!

It tells me I'm nearly home.

Or that my journey is beginning in earnest.

Roll_On

I quite like the spire as a focal point. A viewing platform would be impractical at that location for health and safety. I do miss those hares, they were a great addition.

RodShaft

I think most people would. But we were just too mean to spend money.

Right now, the Spire should be removed and placed on top of this...

One decent monument out of both these English follies.

Seanie Lemass

It would be interesting to know what proportion of grants go to the likes of Doyle and Banville and Bolger who are among the tiny number of writers who make a decent living out of it anyway! "Writers in residence" and such bollix. Bit like Ferriter monopolising the history racket.

Hand outs for the boys and girls is all it is. And boy do they p1ssed and dirty if anyone tries to push their snouts away from the trough!

hollandia

Not quite a hare, but a rabbit... N2 Ratoath/Ashbourne Exit

Dorcha

When Midleton Town council was dissolved they used money which had been collected for town use to commission five sculptures to place around the town. Two of them are below.

In an area which used to be called "The Gooses Acre".

Tribute to the Choctaw Indians, who sent famine relief to Ireland. Steel Eagle feathers.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies